In the world of Pokemon...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 07:18 AM
In the world of Pokemon...
If you've been raising a Pikachu, or any Pokemon for x number of levels and then it evolves, how does it know it has a new name? (This is of course, ignoring nicknames if you are the type of trainer to nickname your Pokemon) must the Pokemon be retrained to learn its new name? Or does something happen during the evolution which gives it a sense of its new being?

Seriously, these are the kind of questions my boyfriend asks me. Tongue somebody speculate about this, please Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
RE: In the world of Pokemon...
Well, if you consider it an "instinct" that their "cries" are, well, their names (could it be that their names come from their cries and not the other way round?) then I guess since their "cries" change, it would be an instinct for them to recognize it as their name.

Very science. Much deductive.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
09-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Pokemon the origin follows the original red and green games. And their cries in the games are just noises. Only in the Ash Ketchum anime do they say their names, even in the Japanese version they say their Japanese names. So I guess going with the games as canon, they only make animal noises. So what if that's the case? Smartass

Serious questions are serious. Big Grin
09-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I guess it makes sense for simple sounds like Meowth, but the rest is just all abstract interpretation, and pokemon have been around for ages so they learned to say the names they were given by the ballthrowers.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
(09-02-2014 07:18 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  If you've been raising a Pikachu, or any Pokemon for x number of levels and then it evolves, how does it know it has a new name? (This is of course, ignoring nicknames if you are the type of trainer to nickname your Pokemon) must the Pokemon be retrained to learn its new name? Or does something happen during the evolution which gives it a sense of its new being?

Seriously, these are the kind of questions my boyfriend asks me. Tongue somebody speculate about this, please Big Grin

Yeah, it was the boyfriend who asked. Sure. Yes Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
09-02-2014, 11:24 AM
(09-02-2014 07:58 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Pokemon the origin follows the original red and green games. And their cries in the games are just noises. Only in the Ash Ketchum anime do they say their names, even in the Japanese version they say their Japanese names. So I guess going with the games as canon, they only make animal noises. So what if that's the case? Smartass

Hmmm. I haven't played the games in ages, can you remind me if you actually call out their names in the fights? I don't think you do Consider

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
10-02-2014, 04:29 AM
(09-02-2014 11:24 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 07:58 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Pokemon the origin follows the original red and green games. And their cries in the games are just noises. Only in the Ash Ketchum anime do they say their names, even in the Japanese version they say their Japanese names. So I guess going with the games as canon, they only make animal noises. So what if that's the case? Smartass

Hmmm. I haven't played the games in ages, can you remind me if you actually call out their names in the fights? I don't think you do Consider

I imagine you do.. But it's still how they figure out their name. Like if the pikachu was evolved into a raichu and immediately had a battle, where does it get an understanding of its new name, persona, etc?

*throw pokeball*.
I choose you, Raichu!
*pokeball just sits there because former pikachu doesn't know who the fuck raichu is*

But that's not what happens! So where does the knowledge come from?

Science me, baby.
10-02-2014, 10:03 AM
(10-02-2014 04:29 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 11:24 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Hmmm. I haven't played the games in ages, can you remind me if you actually call out their names in the fights? I don't think you do Consider

I imagine you do.. But it's still how they figure out their name. Like if the pikachu was evolved into a raichu and immediately had a battle, where does it get an understanding of its new name, persona, etc?

*throw pokeball*.
I choose you, Raichu!
*pokeball just sits there because former pikachu doesn't know who the fuck raichu is*

But that's not what happens! So where does the knowledge come from?

Science me, baby.

The Pokemon doesn't choose to come out of the PokeBall, it isforced out (don't ask me how). As such, it has no idea what the hell you said earlier, that's just for you to announce to another player... or Pokemon I guess... let's just go with it's a tradition Smile

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
[Image: fd3afbe682e50df03f9acff2e7fb69.gif]

So there is a theory that the Pokemon are actually the precursors to an Alien invasion. They are obviously engineered being compatible with digital technology not something that would occur naturally. In the Pokemon world they used to have regular animals before the Pokemon showed up but they were all out competed by the far superior Pokemon versions and have now been eliminated to the point that Pokemon are what is running that society. For more on this theory here is a fun link.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-rea...tory-ever/

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense