In theory: cannibalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 08:58 AM
In theory: cannibalism
I was watching Family Guy on Netflix when I got to the episode where they tried to climb Everest and found that boy frozen in ice. They ate him without cooking him (we know Peter did for sure).

Now... in theory... if you're ever in an Alive type situation, would it be all right to eat human flesh if it was uncooked?

I mean... it would be okay, right? The only reason we cook meat is to kill the parasites that may be infesting the food... correct? I learned from Penn and Teller that around 99% of Western culture is parasite free.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: In theory: cannibalism
I've eaten worse.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-12-2014, 09:25 AM

What's wrong with cooking it first? Uncooked meat is disgusting.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-12-2014, 09:31 AM
(29-12-2014 09:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

What's wrong with cooking it first? Uncooked meat is disgusting.

If you're stranded in the freezing, wet cold and bitter winds, fire might not be an option.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-12-2014, 09:38 AM
(29-12-2014 08:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was watching Family Guy on Netflix when I got to the episode where they tried to climb Everest and found that boy frozen in ice. They ate him without cooking him (we know Peter did for sure).

Now... in theory... if you're ever in an Alive type situation, would it be all right to eat human flesh if it was uncooked?

I mean... it would be okay, right? The only reason we cook meat is to kill the parasites that may be infesting the food... correct? I learned from Penn and Teller that around 99% of Western culture is parasite free.

I suppose it's be possible to eat such a body... You might break your teeth depending on how old and frozen the body is, assuming if it was frozen enough to prevent decomposition...

I guess it's possible that the body might be host to any number of dormant pathogens, but again, depending on how cold and old the body is it probably wouldn't be a problem.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-12-2014, 09:39 AM
(29-12-2014 08:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was watching Family Guy on Netflix when I got to the episode where they tried to climb Everest and found that boy frozen in ice. They ate him without cooking him (we know Peter did for sure).

Freaking Cajuns! Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 8 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
29-12-2014, 10:16 AM

I mean... it would be okay, right? The only reason we cook meat is to kill the parasites that may be infesting the food... correct?

Cooked meat is "better" food than uncooked meat; it's more nutritious because it's easier to digest (it takes less investment of resources and has greater returns) it's easier to chew, it's tastier because the heat denatures the fats and esters and shit that we use to taste it and yes; it's closer to being sterilized.

Human meat is, by my limited understanding, less than fantastic. We lather ourselves with chemicals that mess with the flavour, which is further fucked with by our very varied diet. We have a relatively high mercury content due to that same diet. Prions are a potential (if uncommon) problem. We're more vulnerable to the diseases we carry than the diseases of other animals (that's the same reason why you shouldn't use human manure on your garden). The cut's of meat we'd give are relatively small uneaven (must be a pain in the arse to cook).

Basically the only positive I can think of is that (if you pick somebody from the first world) the fat is integrated into the muscle around our thighs and arms (where the "meatiest" cuts would come from) and we'd be fairly tender.

The point being: Uncooked human meat isn't necessarily a problem. It certainly doesn't hold signifigantly more problems than the uncooked meat of any other animal in a survival situation. Especially if it's come from frozen.

The only suggestions I'd make are:
-Start off with extremely small servings (Finger sized at most.) the guilt trip is going to hit you hard and you're already fucked. You don't want to lose anything you don't have to.
-If you've been able to clean the corpse: Start with the legs and the buttocks. They're muscular, well supplied by blood and away from the bone. Makes it easy to cut and is relatively high quality meat.
-If you haven't been able to clean the corpse strip it from the gams, the lower back and the bicep. Some of the same advantages and you don't need to worry about shit from when they voided themselves.
-If you're going into the torso: Avoid the intestinal tract, nothing good can possibly come from that. Liver first, then go around to the kidneys. They're easy to get too and extremely nutritious.

I've creeped myself out again and I'm feeling slightly queasy.Undecided

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
29-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I tend to avoid getting into situations where eating frozen people is a possible outcome.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Re: In theory: cannibalism
So what we've learned is not to go camping with SAM.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
29-12-2014, 10:52 AM
With the group stuck in the Andes mountains depicted in "Alive," they did in fact eat most of it raw, cooking every so often as a luxury due to llimited material to burn.

But yeah, generally speaking you'd probably be okay. If you try to do that with animals you'd eventually pick up some unwanted parasites or something else your body isn't equipped to deal with. Our bodies have lost the ability to deal with that stuff. Even drinking fresh water from a clean source will make most humans extremely sick.

That said, if you're ever in such a situation, eat what you can find. It'll keep you alive until you can get back to civilization and deal with whatever you picked up. If you're not in a cold weather situation, insects are probably your best bet. With many, you can twist the head and pull it out, dragging the guts with it, minimizing the risk of taking in a parasite. If you're at risk of being in such a situation, I'd suggest studying the plants and wildlife of the area before rather than after you get stranded. There are also a lot of edible roots you can dig up in many places, assuming you can get to the ground. If you have the foresight to bring some sort of digging tool and the ground is hard, that's actually better because it's less likely to have been picked clean by the wildlife.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post