In theory: cannibalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: In theory: cannibalism
Cooked meat is by no means superior and there are many dishes where meat is served either raw (e.g. Carpaccio) or near as dammit (e.g "blue" steak, as opposed to rare: basically the take the horns off, wipe its ass and hand it to you on a plate).

Not to mention Sushi, if you want to stray from mammals.

Predators all eat meat raw as well.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 11:42 AM
(29-12-2014 09:31 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 09:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

What's wrong with cooking it first? Uncooked meat is disgusting.

If you're stranded in the freezing, wet cold and bitter winds, fire might not be an option.

Oh Drinking Beverage Well that's OK then Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-12-2014, 11:54 AM
From a purely pragmatic standpoint:
- Starving to death is the worst possible outcome.
- If no means of cooking it is available, eating human flesh raw is preferable to starving. The possibility of pathogens outweighs the certainty of starvation.
- Cooked human flesh would be preferable to raw. Pathogens perish and nutritional value improves.
- Any non-human food source is obviously preferable. There are good reasons for the near-universal taboo on cannibalism.

From a less objective standpoint: I would have to be extremely desperate, my stomach would be doing back flips and I would likely require intensive counseling afterward.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
29-12-2014, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 12:25 PM by pablo.)
(29-12-2014 11:54 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  From a purely pragmatic standpoint:
- Starving to death is the worst possible outcome.
- If no means of cooking it is available, eating human flesh raw is preferable to starving. The possibility of pathogens outweighs the certainty of starvation.
- Cooked human flesh would be preferable to raw. Pathogens perish and nutritional value improves.
- Any non-human food source is obviously preferable. There are good reasons for the near-universal taboo on cannibalism.

From a less objective standpoint: I would have to be extremely desperate, my stomach would be doing back flips and I would likely require intensive counseling afterward.

After a few days without food, hunger pangs tend to go away.
29-12-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm enough of a borderline psychopath that I could be a temporary cannibal pretty easily if that's what it took to survive, or even just to remain well fed. I've also been hunting, fishing, and foraging since before I hit my double digits and probably wouldn't have to though Tongue

'Murican Canadian
29-12-2014, 12:26 PM
(29-12-2014 12:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  After a few days without food hunger pangs tend to go away.

Yup Smile 'Cos you dead Tongue Unless you zombie. Then you hungry dead.

I dunno, I really don't know if I could bring myself to eat someone. Well... their body... Just... maybe too strong taboo for me.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-12-2014, 12:29 PM
(29-12-2014 12:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 12:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  After a few days without food hunger pangs tend to go away.

Yup Smile 'Cos you dead Tongue Unless you zombie. Then you hungry dead.

I dunno, I really don't know if I could bring myself to eat someone. Well... their body... Just... maybe too strong taboo for me.

Depending on their size, a person can easily go more than 3 days without food.
Water is a different story.
29-12-2014, 12:38 PM
(29-12-2014 12:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  Depending on their size, a person can easily go more than 3 days without food.
Water is a different story.

Ja I know Tongue Was just playing... I've done a few days sans food a few times. Being a student was a hard life Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Most of the micronutrients you need can be stored for a long time. Your body can metabolize everything from your fat to your muscles to your internal organs if it needs to. A healthy person can go for three weeks, as a general rule, on just water. People have been known to survive a month or two. You'll lose your muscle mass, and having your organs cannibalized by your own body isn't exactly ideal, but we are evolved to survive through periods without food. Three meals per day is a relatively new luxury.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
29-12-2014, 01:09 PM
(29-12-2014 10:16 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 08:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was watching Family Guy on Netflix when I got to the episode where they tried to climb Everest and found that boy frozen in ice. They ate him without cooking him (we know Peter did for sure).

Now... in theory... if you're ever in an Alive type situation, would it be all right to eat human flesh if it was uncooked?

I mean... it would be okay, right? The only reason we cook meat is to kill the parasites that may be infesting the food... correct?

Cooked meat is "better" food than uncooked meat; it's more nutritious because it's easier to digest (it takes less investment of resources and has greater returns) it's easier to chew, it's tastier because the heat denatures the fats and esters and shit that we use to taste it and yes; it's closer to being sterilized.

Human meat is, by my limited understanding, less than fantastic. We lather ourselves with chemicals that mess with the flavour, which is further fucked with by our very varied diet. We have a relatively high mercury content due to that same diet. Prions are a potential (if uncommon) problem. We're more vulnerable to the diseases we carry than the diseases of other animals (that's the same reason why you shouldn't use human manure on your garden). The cut's of meat we'd give are relatively small uneaven (must be a pain in the arse to cook).

Basically the only positive I can think of is that (if you pick somebody from the first world) the fat is integrated into the muscle around our thighs and arms (where the "meatiest" cuts would come from) and we'd be fairly tender.

The point being: Uncooked human meat isn't necessarily a problem. It certainly doesn't hold signifigantly more problems than the uncooked meat of any other animal in a survival situation. Especially if it's come from frozen.

The only suggestions I'd make are:
-Start off with extremely small servings (Finger sized at most.) the guilt trip is going to hit you hard and you're already fucked. You don't want to lose anything you don't have to.
-If you've been able to clean the corpse: Start with the legs and the buttocks. They're muscular, well supplied by blood and away from the bone. Makes it easy to cut and is relatively high quality meat.
-If you haven't been able to clean the corpse strip it from the gams, the lower back and the bicep. Some of the same advantages and you don't need to worry about shit from when they voided themselves.
-If you're going into the torso: Avoid the intestinal tract, nothing good can possibly come from that. Liver first, then go around to the kidneys. They're easy to get too and extremely nutritious.

I've creeped myself out again and I'm feeling slightly queasy.Undecided

Blink

Unsure

Sadcryface

Gasp

Weeping

No

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post