In theory: cannibalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: In theory: cannibalism
(29-12-2014 12:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  After a few days without food, hunger pangs tend to go away.

Understood. I was thinking more of the long-term "Alive-like" scenario where starvation is a reality rather than merely hunger. Hunger pangs I would cheerfully endure without chowing down on long pig.

(29-12-2014 12:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  Depending on their size, a person can easily go more than 3 days without food.
Water is a different story.

So this is more of a "Drink of my blood" than "Eat of my flesh" scenario?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 01:43 PM
(29-12-2014 08:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was watching Family Guy on Netflix when I got to the episode where they tried to climb Everest and found that boy frozen in ice. They ate him without cooking him (we know Peter did for sure).

Now... in theory... if you're ever in an Alive type situation, would it be all right to eat human flesh if it was uncooked?

I mean... it would be okay, right? The only reason we cook meat is to kill the parasites that may be infesting the food... correct? I learned from Penn and Teller that around 99% of Western culture is parasite free.
What do you mean by "alright" or "okay"?
I'd certainly be worried about disease because I am susceptible to human disease.
29-12-2014, 02:07 PM
(29-12-2014 01:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 12:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  After a few days without food, hunger pangs tend to go away.

Understood. I was thinking more of the long-term "Alive-like" scenario where starvation is a reality rather than merely hunger. Hunger pangs I would cheerfully endure without chowing down on long pig.

(29-12-2014 12:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  Depending on their size, a person can easily go more than 3 days without food.
Water is a different story.

So this is more of a "Drink of my blood" than "Eat of my flesh" scenario?

If I found myself in a situation where I was far from any help, and didn't know when or if any would come, I wouldn't wait until I was starving.
Presuming there are already some bodies, it would be to my best advantage to stay as healthy as possible.
Eat at the first opportunity, maintaining my strength is the priority.
Assume the worst and make the best of it.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-12-2014, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 03:03 PM by yakherder.)
Damn right. Don't murder people for food, but don't let meat that is perfectly good go to waste Tongue

In a survival situation, the state of my companions would have more to do with my decision than the thought of eating people. If someone died naturally, I would be inclined to clean them and prepare the meat for consumption or storage on the spot whether I was starving or not. If, however, I were with companions so against the idea of cannibalism that they might kill me for partaking in it, that would of course be an important thing to consider.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
29-12-2014, 03:08 PM
If you're in a really hyper good mood and for some reason need get depressed, just watch the documentary on The Donner Party.

I grew up in the Tahoe area, about two miles from the Donner camps. My older brothers used to dig around and find buttons and shards of pottery that probably belonged to the Donner Party. It was so horrible because family members and small children were involved. Really depressing stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-12-2014, 03:10 PM
On the bright side, one of the guys from the Donner party opened a restaurant after the survivors finally reached their destination.

'Murican Canadian
29-12-2014, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 04:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-12-2014 10:52 AM)yakherder Wrote:  With the group stuck in the Andes mountains depicted in "Alive," they did in fact eat most of it raw, cooking every so often as a luxury due to llimited material to burn.

And some of them were pretty messed up by the whole thing.
If it were down to that or dying as the only last option, I'd do it, (and not feel guilty).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-12-2014, 03:41 PM
As long as it came with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti?

Umm..nope.

Rainbow Vomit

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Donner, Party of forty!

Donner Party, your table is ready! Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-12-2014, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 03:50 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(29-12-2014 03:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If you're in a really hyper good mood and for some reason need get depressed, just watch the documentary on The Donner Party.

I grew up in the Tahoe area, about two miles from the Donner camps. My older brothers used to dig around and find buttons and shards of pottery that probably belonged to the Donner Party. It was so horrible because family members and small children were involved. Really depressing stuff.

Hundreds of people used that passage, if not thousands during the move west. The Donner party got stuck by weather and certainly weren't the first nor last to use it.

The items found could have been from anyone at any time, gold rush, native dwellers etc.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces