In theory: cannibalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 04:06 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: In theory: cannibalism
I like to read survival stories, especially sea survival.

Two books I recommend; The Last Taboo and The Custom of the Sea.

Edit: Cannibalism, the Last Taboo, Brian Marriner
The Custom of the Sea - Neil Hanson

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-12-2014, 04:45 PM
(29-12-2014 03:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I like to read survival stories, especially sea survival.

I almost downloaded one of those books on my Kindle. I came across the sailor custom of eating others at sea in another book. I don't remember the book. My understanding is that cannibalism at sea was accepted not only by sailors but by the general public at the time.

Food is so abundant and we are so overfed today that cannibalism is beyond anything we can imagine but centuries ago when starvation was just a plague away cannibalism wasn't such an abstract thought.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-12-2014, 05:20 PM
(29-12-2014 04:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 03:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I like to read survival stories, especially sea survival.

I almost downloaded one of those books on my Kindle. I came across the sailor custom of eating others at sea in another book. I don't remember the book. My understanding is that cannibalism at sea was accepted not only by sailors but by the general public at the time.

Food is so abundant and we are so overfed today that cannibalism is beyond anything we can imagine but centuries ago when starvation was just a plague away cannibalism wasn't such an abstract thought.

It has always been a given that stranded sailors would not be persecuted for cannabilizing dead bodies, the issue has always been killing to eat as one of these books touches on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I hate to be the asshole here, but I don't see the problem, at least not emotionally. I'd have no problem whatsoever eating the flesh of a fellow human in a survival situation. In fact, I'm very curious what person tastes like. I think I'd likely be the first to suggest eating a fallen companion.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-12-2014, 05:41 PM
(29-12-2014 05:37 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I hate to be the asshole here, but I don't see the problem, at least not emotionally. I'd have no problem whatsoever eating the flesh of a fellow human in a survival situation. In fact, I'm very curious what person tastes like. I think I'd likely be the first to suggest eating a fallen companion.

Bite me

Drooling

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
29-12-2014, 05:46 PM
(29-12-2014 05:37 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I hate to be the asshole here, but I don't see the problem, at least not emotionally. I'd have no problem whatsoever eating the flesh of a fellow human in a survival situation. In fact, I'm very curious what person tastes like. I think I'd likely be the first to suggest eating a fallen companion.

Not even if it was someone you'd been quite close with?? Sadcryface Bechased

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
29-12-2014, 05:56 PM
(29-12-2014 05:46 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  

Not even if it was someone you'd been quite close with?? Sadcryface Bechased

Well, I'm sure some emotion would kick in, but logically, who cares? The carcass left after someone dies shouldnt hold any special sway. Just meat.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-12-2014, 06:05 PM
If it were just a corpse, I'd choose survival, but idk about when it got to the point of people having to draw straws! Confused I ain't gettin eaten!!!!!!!!

Though I figure when the time comes to pick a camping site, I'll forgo the Andes, and settle for that patch of trees in between the freeway, and the outer road! Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
29-12-2014, 06:12 PM
(29-12-2014 03:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Donner, Party of forty!

Donner Party, your table is ready! Big Grin

That was in bad taste.

snicker-snicker

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-12-2014, 06:12 PM
I'd be counting on someone refusing to eat another human, cuz ya know, one body only goes so far. Drinking Beverage