In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?
(20-10-2015 06:02 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  And what kind of religion do you build around that?

http://www.subgenius.com

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
20-10-2015, 06:55 PM
[Image: is?zZM4lqlcBge6fPV1Yod_j90e-Rl5lX2QgM3-Y...height=255]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Wasn't there a religion in ancient Greece that was all about sex?
20-10-2015, 07:11 PM
(20-10-2015 07:03 PM)Dex Wrote:  Wasn't there a religion in ancient Greece that was all about sex?

The Hellenists had gods to represent everything. The Romans even had a god of door handles!

Himeros.

Janus.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Mankind will never create the perfect anything.

And the perfect religion wouldn't involve anything 'religious' religious implies faith and faith based thinking lacks evidence which is irrational and far from perfect... is even anything perfect? And if anything at all is perfect is it ever even attainable? Certainly not religion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2015, 08:00 PM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  My agnostic friend told me that all religions have their strong points, even those religions like Islam. However, every single religion has it's downfalls and this is where all the violence comes in. In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

I think many religions are correct of there being a creator, because we couldn't have gotten here any other way. But at the same time they each have imperfections of what a creator would be like. Now let us try to imagine what a perfect religion would be like...

1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
2. No contradictions.
3. Agrees with science and reason.
4. Choosing this religion would be based on free will and not based of condemnation in the afterlife.
5. The holy book of this religion could be read clearly without having to make excuses for it.
6. Belief in one God.

If there is ANY religion like this, let me know. What is your opinions on this?

Why is belief in one God a quality? I can understand why you woud like point 1 to 5 (even if I can find flaws in all of them), but the 6th one seems weird to me.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
20-10-2015, 08:04 PM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I think many religions are correct of there being a creator, because we couldn't have gotten here any other way. But at the same time they each have imperfections of what a creator would be like. Now let us try to imagine what a perfect religion would be like...

6. Belief in one God.

If there is ANY religion like this, let me know. What is your opinions on this?

You're very prejudiced. Why just one god ?
The fact that you're creatively challenged, and can't image any other way we got here, is rather boring. or is it, you're just ignorant of Chaos Theory ?
An omnipotent deity could have created a race of equal gods whose job it is to make universes for their amusement.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2015, 08:09 PM
(20-10-2015 07:57 PM)EvieTheTurtle Wrote:  Mankind will never create the perfect anything.

And the perfect religion wouldn't involve anything 'religious' religious implies faith and faith based thinking lacks evidence which is irrational and far from perfect... is even anything perfect? And if anything at all is perfect is it ever even attainable? Certainly not religion.

Wellllll, perhaps the above is not exactly true. There is a drummer so skilled he can play every single style of music perfectly. Jazz, samba, Afro Cuban, Big band, pop, fusion.... You name it, he will play it in the recording studio every time. Usually first takes. He may know himself his limitations, but nobody else does.

His name is Vinnie Colaiuta.

[Image: is?3bQo-4PLNJzPNza6ol8YRsgOLx3MjXssYC9Yv...height=255]

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-10-2015, 08:13 PM
No. All religions rely on false assertions about the nature of the universe and mankind's place in it. It's hard to imagine how anything built on lies can be termed perfect.

My hope is that future generations will find honest and effective ways for people to feel connected to each other and the universe, and that there won't be as much competition for resources, and that they will have figured out how to identify and fix people who are broken in scary and damaging ways (the psychopaths, murderers, etc.). But I'm not confident any of the above is even possible. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
20-10-2015, 09:02 PM
(20-10-2015 07:11 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 07:03 PM)Dex Wrote:  Wasn't there a religion in ancient Greece that was all about sex?

The Hellenists had gods to represent everything. The Romans even had a god of door handles!

Himeros.

Janus.

Meh. I'm not impressed.
Now if there was a god of door nobs, I might worship that one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.