In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 06:52 AM
RE: In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?
(21-10-2015 06:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ya jumped the shark at point #6.......

Man, this guy started typing right into the shark's maw. What a maroon.

[Image: O8FRJ3K.jpg]

With chaos theory, fractal geometry, and evolution, people who still believe that there's a need for a creator are like kids who refuse to leave the play-pen. All "creator" does is impose limits upon knowledge seeking, creative expression, and self-exploration.

If peeps want some inspiration my Gwynnies is perfect in her Gwynnieness. I don't know what else there could be to strive for beyond being the best you you can be. Dummyheads. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-10-2015, 07:23 AM
(21-10-2015 06:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
All "creator" does is impose limits upon ... self-exploration.

Yup

Creators are exclusively pro procreation.

From Onan to Saul/Paul ... God hates wankers.

Wink

Find all posts by this user
21-10-2015, 07:32 AM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
2. No contradictions.
3. Agrees with science and reason.
4. Choosing this religion would be based on free will and not based of condemnation in the afterlife.
5. The holy book of this religion could be read clearly without having to make excuses for it.
6. Belief in one God.

If there is ANY religion like this, let me know. What is your opinions on this?

If any religion came about with such a sanguine picture of God, it would be the least believable, a character that would be possible to reconcile with the God of this world, a world filled with all sorts of violence, and suffering.

While it might make for a benign religion, it wouldn't make for particularly believable one.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
21-10-2015, 08:02 AM
(21-10-2015 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
All "creator" does is impose limits upon ... self-exploration.

Yup

Creators are exclusively pro procreation.

From Onan to Saul/Paul ... God hates wankers.

Wink

[Image: Pf9mHvL.jpg]

I don't even know why I bother. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Even if someone did invent the perfect religion, someone somewhere down the line would find a way to use it to their advantage to control others. Or they would distort that religion into an off-shoot religion and then people would fight over which religious beliefs were right/wrong.
21-10-2015, 11:03 AM
No.

First of all, if it were 'invented', it would be horseshit from the get-go (See Scientology).

In reality, perfect is almost a meaningless word. It's subjective. For example, the fact that you think a perfect religion would entail belief in only one diety. I mean, shit, at least polytheism makes for a good story. With polytheism, you have hierarchies of dieties that are always causing a ruckus, and pissing each other off. It's like cosmic Jersey Shore. It's great.
Monotheism is just plain boring. "After sitting around for literally forever, GAWD decides to fart a universe out, because... why the fuck not?"
21-10-2015, 12:05 PM
I would say define "perfection." If perfection is something that cannot be attained, merely by its own definition, then the answer is a simple no.

A more appropriate question might be: can a religion be constructed that allows everyone to live in peace, harmony, while excluding no one, maximizing happiness and minimizing suffering for all and which would not require a deity. Even this, while maybe attainable in theory, seems extremely unlikely since many of the terms therein are subjective to each person. What is maximal happiness? What is minimal suffering? Essentially this is a Utopia (which is also subjective) and very much seems like the genesis of thought for sentient beings to attribute a heaven to since its natural existence would be very unlikely.

EDIT: I just threw out a big jumbled word salad with no filter so I apologize.

**Crickets** -- God
21-10-2015, 05:35 PM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
2. No contradictions.
4. Choosing this religion would be based on free will and not based of condemnation in the afterlife.
5. The holy book of this religion could be read clearly without having to make excuses for it.
6. Belief in one God.

The problem is that the features you want to expunge are virulence factors for religion. If you take away violence, dogma and manipulation you're left merely with an idea no longer a religion. It can't spread and infect the way a real religion does.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-10-2015, 06:11 PM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  My agnostic friend told me that all religions have their strong points, even those religions like Islam. However, every single religion has it's downfalls and this is where all the violence comes in. In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

I think many religions are correct of there being a creator, because we couldn't have gotten here any other way. But at the same time they each have imperfections of what a creator would be like. Now let us try to imagine what a perfect religion would be like...

1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
2. No contradictions.
6. Belief in one God.

If there is ANY religion like this, let me know. What is your opinions on this?

The Borg. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Asking someone to envision the perfect religion is very subjective, "perfect" formally would be a religion which satisfies completely the criteria one seeks from a religion, an objectively perfect religions would fit all peoples wishes and beliefs perfectly because it would satisfy all possible goals and aims by definition, but since many peoples desires from a religion are mutually exclusive this is impossible. Now what's perfect for a particular individual is very subjective, Catholicism is the perfect religion for the pope because it gives him power and control, but not if you are gay. In your case the perfect religion is a question only you can answer, and in mine only me.

"A witty quote means nothing"