In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 09:48 PM
RE: In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Now let us try to imagine what a perfect religion would be like...

1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
No, I think people should have the right to defend themselves, even violently if that's the only way to do it.

Quote:2. No contradictions.
Definitely. Divinely inspired works should be rock-solid in that regard.

Quote:3. Agrees with science and reason.
Yup. After all, any genuine god should be in agreement with the real world rather than in opposition to it.

Quote:4. Choosing this religion would be based on free will and not based of condemnation in the afterlife.
In general I think it's better to subscribe to a belief because it provides a tangible positive benefit, but at the same time it's the believability of a system that is the most critical factor.

Quote:5. The holy book of this religion could be read clearly without having to make excuses for it.
Definitely. It should also be a very short book, because a god should be able to make its point succinctly and clearly.

Quote:6. Belief in one God.
Not necessarily. Monotheism simply does not appeal to everyone. (Personally, I've always found polytheism more interesting because one can choose an appropriate patron deity.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
24-11-2015, 09:58 PM
"In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?"

They already have.
The religion of Bob.
It's the one true faith.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
28-11-2015, 01:38 AM
No.

It will be the work of GOD, and not the doing of man alone.

I like the way you put that though. As if all religion or faith is utterly a human construct like numbers or something.
28-11-2015, 02:49 AM
(28-11-2015 01:38 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No.

I like the way you put that though. As if all religion or faith is utterly a human construct like numbers or something.

Religion is fiction. Numbers have some application in reality.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Well, ya know, it is, but don't let cultural history, archaeology, anthropology, and various biological studies data on the collection of humanities creations inform you if it counters your faith knowledge.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
28-11-2015, 03:33 AM
(28-11-2015 02:59 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Well, ya know, it is, but don't let cultural history, archaeology, anthropology, and various biological studies data on the collection of humanities creations inform you if it counters your faith knowledge.
It doesn't, thanks for the concern though.
28-11-2015, 06:28 AM
(28-11-2015 03:33 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(28-11-2015 02:59 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well, ya know, it is, but don't let cultural history, archaeology, anthropology, and various biological studies data on the collection of humanities creations inform you if it counters your faith knowledge.
It doesn't, thanks for the concern though.

Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
28-11-2015, 08:39 PM
(20-10-2015 05:38 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  My agnostic friend told me that all religions have their strong points, even those religions like Islam. However, every single religion has it's downfalls and this is where all the violence comes in. In your opinion, will mankind ever invent the perfect religion?

I think many religions are correct of there being a creator, because we couldn't have gotten here any other way. But at the same time they each have imperfections of what a creator would be like. Now let us try to imagine what a perfect religion would be like...

1. No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons).
2. No contradictions.
3. Agrees with science and reason.
4. Choosing this religion would be based on free will and not based of condemnation in the afterlife.
5. The holy book of this religion could be read clearly without having to make excuses for it.
6. Belief in one God.

If there is ANY religion like this, let me know. What is your opinions on this?

First of all, I don't really expect the OP to answer, but since the original post has continued to be a point of reference in the thread, I'll go with that (:

As others have pointed out the word "perfect" depends completely on the perspective you come from, and by which criteria you judge whether something is perfect or not.
While 4, 5 and 6 are specific to only some religions - and are kinda of silly/lacking because of that - I'm not even sure why 1, 2 and 3 would be necessary hallmarks of perfect religions... Maybe 2 and 3 to some degree, but why "No violence of any kind (even for religious reasons)"?

The word "invent" is also somewhat poorly chosen...