Inch by inch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Inch by inch
I had an unexpected bit of news this morning. And as I sit here trying to figure out how to word this post I don't know if I should go with the short version or the long version.

Eh, short version... In laws are creationists, have succeeded at brainwashing their children. Last fall they found out my 11 year old has aspirations to be an astrophysicist. As usual, they are trying to poke holes in that dream. Thankfully they live states away and we have limited contact with them. They are on a constant, nonstop mission to convert people. They exchange emails with my husband (also a Christian) but he doesn't really practice in any way.

Anyway, I try to be a good wife and check in with him occasionally about how they are doing. I am no no longer on the email list (fine with me). This morning he mentions that the i laws have a set of science books that they want to send to my kids, written of course by some creationist chemist, I didn't get the title or names. I was so proud of my hubby, he decided to look at reviews (and even some of the creation folks had problems with it) AND he told his parents no- that they weren't a right fit. He knew I wouldn't fly with them, and he wants daughter to follow the ropes of the field she is choosing (meaning scientific method vs God of the gaps). He recognized the holes in their arguments and saw no evidence.

But I am so, so thrilled because it was a huge leap for him to
1. Stand up to his manipulative parents and refused their crap
2. Did research, looked for evidence, applied his logic and reasoning skills to the one area that was excused all these years.
3. And wants dear daughter to continue with 'real' science.

I think there might be a little tiny hole starting in the curtain, and he is starting to wonder what is on the other side. I am thrilled!!

Usually this section is filled with problems, and this issue is rather personal, and I felt so much relief as well as happiness this morning I just had to share. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-03-2015, 06:55 AM
RE: Inch by inch
Your daughter wants to be an astrophysicist? That's über-awesome! If there are other universes, I'm an astrophysicist in one of them. I love, LOVE the subject so best wishes to her! Big Grin

Also happy to see you happy. Your daughter is aiming high, so having family support is nice and I see she's having all of it. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
27-03-2015, 07:44 AM
YEAY!!!!! Anytime you don't have to battle creationist in-laws (or any family member for that matter) it is reason for celebration; doubly so if husband/wife is running block to keep in-laws in check. May your daughter learn the true awe and beauty of the universe!
27-03-2015, 07:45 AM
(27-03-2015 06:48 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I had an unexpected bit of news this morning. And as I sit here trying to figure out how to word this post I don't know if I should go with the short version or the long version.

Eh, short version... In laws are creationists, have succeeded at brainwashing their children. Last fall they found out my 11 year old has aspirations to be an astrophysicist. As usual, they are trying to poke holes in that dream. Thankfully they live states away and we have limited contact with them. They are on a constant, nonstop mission to convert people. They exchange emails with my husband (also a Christian) but he doesn't really practice in any way.

Anyway, I try to be a good wife and check in with him occasionally about how they are doing. I am no no longer on the email list (fine with me). This morning he mentions that the i laws have a set of science books that they want to send to my kids, written of course by some creationist chemist, I didn't get the title or names. I was so proud of my hubby, he decided to look at reviews (and even some of the creation folks had problems with it) AND he told his parents no- that they weren't a right fit. He knew I wouldn't fly with them, and he wants daughter to follow the ropes of the field she is choosing (meaning scientific method vs God of the gaps). He recognized the holes in their arguments and saw no evidence.

But I am so, so thrilled because it was a huge leap for him to
1. Stand up to his manipulative parents and refused their crap
2. Did research, looked for evidence, applied his logic and reasoning skills to the one area that was excused all these years.
3. And wants dear daughter to continue with 'real' science.

I think there might be a little tiny hole starting in the curtain, and he is starting to wonder what is on the other side. I am thrilled!!

Usually this section is filled with problems, and this issue is rather personal, and I felt so much relief as well as happiness this morning I just had to share. Smile

perhaps a light in the tunnel, awesome Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
27-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Honestly, I really think our children are the ones motivating it. Bright kids can ask some HARD questions and they have pretty good bullshit detectors. They are raised on Google and will fact check if they think your answer is unreliable. Lol.

[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
30-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't that be awesome if she hosted the next Cosmos series in 30 years?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-05-2015, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 10:58 AM by Dom.)
My daughter had a 6th grade career day project, she interviewed her mentor and friend. My daughter is 11 years old.

it runs 16 minutes.

eta: my ipad crashes when I try embed the video player if a mod feels like fixing.

[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-05-2015, 10:59 AM
(05-05-2015 10:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My daughter had a 6th grade career day project, she interviewed her mentor and friend. My daughter is 11 years old.

it runs 16 minutes.

eta: my ipad crashes when I try embed the video player if a mod feels like fixing.

Fixed! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
05-05-2015, 03:35 PM
That is awesome Bows and Arrows! All of it! Thanks for sharing!
It sounds like your husband is a keeper! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes dirtstar's post
05-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Girl! He deserves a present and lots of praise for that! Thats fantastic Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post