Incognito is hard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Incognito is hard
Since I've been running into dead end after dead end, I've been trying to keep my atheism undercover. Now I've never come out 100%. I have merely suggested things during discussions. Then I get the "Stop questioning god" tongue lashing.

The reason why it's hard being undercover is because of the flawed logic. This flawed logic that is learned through hours and hours of church over years begins to permeate normal life. This has some very detrimental consequences as I will explain. It's when I come across this flawed logic that the pit of my stomach turns in agony. Then I can't help but say something to show them the real cause of something using logic. They believe that everything is determined in the supernatual realm and eventually manifests itself in the natural. So when someone becomes successful they say "God has blessed him/her". Then I have to step in and bring them back to earth using logic and reason. So and so is successful because they have considerable experience in that field. So and so is successful because they work hard and leave no stone unturned. They are dedicated and passionate about their craft. No god necessary.

A family member of mine just closed a restuarant they started 6 months ago. They couldn't understand because all the customers would complement the cooking she'd do. She's very good at cooking actually. Now she's disappointed and has some debts to pay. The failure was because she didn't know how to set the right prices for the various dishes. The rent was also too high for someone with no experience in the restuarant game. Instead of seeing these as the reasons (as I repeatedly mentioned) she goes with "It's because god was not in the business. I rushed into this project when god didn't say I should do it. I know this because nothing that god backs can fail".

Now the church isn't gonna start promoting logic and reason because those two elements are the black death to it. I believe that the church needs to be held responsible somehow for what they cause. If con men like Bernie Madoff can be convicted for fleecing people and leading them to detriment, perhaps the church can also be taken to task. Even if its only to tone down their radical messages that leave people incapacitated with respect to living in this hard world.

I've been listening to my mom's prayers over the years. They've changed. They always change. It seems to me that it's the prayers chasing reality and not reality being led or affected by the prayers. Prayer has no power. It's frustrating that I'm the only one that has taken notice of this. "Lord God, please keep Michael from drugs and alcohol". This gets mentioned in every prayer for a whole week. The week after that Michael gets caught higher than a motherfucker. Then the prayer changes to "Lord God, please let Michael cut down his doses of narcotics".

To function in this world you have to be able to navigate this reality. The church is against this view. Man family can be such a pain in the ass.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
08-02-2014, 03:58 AM
RE: Incognito is hard
Sorry man. It's gonna be a long hard road. We're here for venting but... yeah, it's not easy. Lucky for me I'm a bit less hemmed in by the religious than I used to be... sounds like you're where I was a few years ago. My parents are also pretty heavily into their religion although thank fuck they don't tend to get all daft about God taking a personal hand in everything... or rather they kinda say the words but their major preoccupation is with doing the hard yards themselves.

One of Mum's sayings that often gets mentioned is 'God will not help those who do not help themselves'... It's not Biblically based or anything but I've never heard a Christian contradict it. You could try throwing that into the mix, I think that single phrase tends to make people smarten the fuck up and think along the lines of taking more personal responsibility for their success or failures.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-02-2014, 11:46 AM
RE: Incognito is hard
(08-02-2014 03:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  Sorry man. It's gonna be a long hard road. We're here for venting but... yeah, it's not easy. Lucky for me I'm a bit less hemmed in by the religious than I used to be... sounds like you're where I was a few years ago. My parents are also pretty heavily into their religion although thank fuck they don't tend to get all daft about God taking a personal hand in everything... or rather they kinda say the words but their major preoccupation is with doing the hard yards themselves.

Lucky you. I love my fam but damn! That stuff is so infuriating.

(08-02-2014 03:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  One of Mum's sayings that often gets mentioned is 'God will not help those who do not help themselves'... It's not Biblically based or anything but I've never heard a Christian contradict it. You could try throwing that into the mix, I think that single phrase tends to make people smarten the fuck up and think along the lines of taking more personal responsibility for their success or failures.

Funny thing is I'm actually familiar with the whole "God helps those who help themselves" schpiel. I've got a plan. I'll use reason and logic and throw in god every now and then. Hell I'll even say god told me to say...

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."