Inconsistent atheist arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 02:12 PM
RE: Inconsistent atheist arguments
I've highlighted a few things that are wrong with your claims.

(29-03-2015 01:02 PM)jakedanger Wrote:  How do you respond to the following?

(1) "Atheism is not a belief system, it's simply a lack of belief in something"

My personal opinion is that this claim is used to insulate atheists from criticism of their own beliefs while they are busy criticizing beliefs held by theists.

For example:

Atheist: "Religion was responsible for the Crusades, the Inquisition, 9/11 and all sorts of other horrible things.(TRUE) Bin Laden was religious, so were all those pedophile priests.(TRUE, but correlation =/= causation) The world would be better off if people were atheists, not religious."

Theist: "What about Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc..? "

Atheist: "Those people were Communists, not atheists. Atheism is not a belief system, it's simply a lack of belief in god." (This should read: While those individuals were atheists, their motivations were not a product of atheism. Likewise, a theist who kills for money or power, is not necessarily religiously motivated.)

(2) Atheist: "Atheists have a higher average I.Q. than theists; it's scientifically proven(TRUE), which indicates that theism is a product of low intelligence and that atheism is more rational." (Again, correlation does not equal causation. Individuals with great intellectual potential may be stunted by the religious stigma toward skepticism. In any case, the correlation is not necessarily indicative of religion being a PRODUCT of low intelligence.)

Theist: "By your own definition of atheism, my dog is an atheist(I suppose so), since he lacks a belief in god. Wouldn't the inclusion of dogs in the sample bring down the average IQ just a little bit?"(No, IQ is a rating of HUMAN intelligence; dogs are excluded. With the global average IQ necessarily at 100, if we were to include all animals, it would immediately make the average human IQ some astronomical value)

Atheist: "Dogs don't count, because they're not intelligent enough to conceive of a god in the first place.(They actually don't count for a completely different reason) No dog ever thinks "There is no such thing as god""

Theist: "So, now suddenly atheism has become a positive belief? (the philosophy of naturalism)"(No - addressed below)

Why change definitions of "atheism" from argument to argument, except to gain rhetorical advantage? (You're either arguing with someone who, like you, can't properly reason - or you're misrepresenting their arguments)

Atheism is NOT a positive belief. Here's why:

Claim - "God exists"

If you understand the claim, you fall under one of the following:

Accept the claim : Theist
Do not accept the claim: Atheist

Neither requires a claim to be made on our part. Denial of the claim does NOT mean we believe the opposite! We can decide not to accept the claim that "God exists" and still see it as a possibility. If the claim were posed as a question, then a claim on our parts could be posited as an answer.

"Does god exist?"

YES - Gnostic theist
NO - Gnostic atheist
MAYBE, AND I BELIEVE SO - Agnostic theist
MAYBE, BUT I DON'T BELIEVE SO - Agnostic atheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
29-03-2015, 02:17 PM
It's why a courtroom scenario is an ideal analogy. Is the defendant guilty of the charges? Maybe; that's for the jury to decide based on the evidence presented by the prosecution. If you don't believe the defendant to be guilty, are you claiming that someone else is? Perhaps, or perhaps the charges are false. Either way, the jury isn't obliged to come up with an alternative accused.

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stimbo's post
29-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I purpose that whenever we hear this shit we ignore it. Or perhaps derail it?
I know. Since he mentioned Stalin let's all talk about his moustache. I think it was a real cool moustache and certainly better than the one Hitler wore.
What dictator, past or present had in your opinion the best moustache? You can extend it to beards as well if you wish.
29-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Thatcher.

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.
[+] 3 users Like Stimbo's post
29-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Thats sexistic!

And also, Abdullah pwns

[Image: KingAbdullah_2449334b.jpg]
29-03-2015, 02:30 PM
No, I'm the racistial one.

It's tough to be sexistic against someone whose sex was indeterminate.

29-03-2015, 02:31 PM
(29-03-2015 02:30 PM)Stimbo Wrote:  No, I'm the racistial one.

It's tough to be sexistic against someone whose sex was indeterminate.

Ooh, sorry, I thought you were pedophilistic. I get you englishmen all mixed up...
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
29-03-2015, 02:34 PM
(29-03-2015 02:24 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I purpose that whenever we hear this shit we ignore it. Or perhaps derail it?
I know. Since he mentioned Stalin let's all talk about his moustache. I think it was a real cool moustache and certainly better than the one Hitler wore.
What dictator, past or present had in your opinion the best moustache? You can extend it to beards as well if you wish.

I have a beard. I have never yet stuck my penis into a potato though...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-03-2015, 02:41 PM
(29-03-2015 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 02:24 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I purpose that whenever we hear this shit we ignore it. Or perhaps derail it?

I have a beard. I have never yet stuck my penis into a potato though...

There's always tomorrow. Tongue
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
29-03-2015, 02:51 PM
So none of this provides compelling evidence for the existence of any deity.

If the existence for gods are proved by straw-men, you win.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post