Incorrupt Bodies of the Saints?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 10:03 AM
RE: Incorrupt Bodies of the Saints?
(23-06-2012 09:40 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  When I was in italy they had stopped showing the bodies in the crypts I went to. once you open the glass casket it's done for. They did have a wood carved resemblance for St. Francis still pretty morbid actually, though not as disgusting as the 3D holograms.

I say the real wonder of the whole bodies of the saints thing is how amazed catholics are at looking at corpses. They make such a big deal but their religion says the body is just a shell. They shouldn't care much at all about the bodies.
I never thought about it that way! Excellent point.

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2012, 10:04 AM
(23-06-2012 09:40 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  When I was in italy they had stopped showing the bodies in the crypts I went to. once you open the glass casket it's done for. They did have a wood carved resemblance for St. Francis still pretty morbid actually, though not as disgusting as the 3D holograms.

I say the real wonder of the whole bodies of the saints thing is how amazed catholics are at looking at corpses. They make such a big deal but their religion says the body is just a shell. They shouldn't care much at all about the bodies.
In my opinion, the big deal usually goes along the line of "OMG LOOK AT THAT CORPSE, SO BEAUTIFUL, SO PERFECT. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS MIGHT HAPPEN THEREFORE GOD THEREFORE GOD IS LOVING."

I'm curious whether anyone wondered what the other thousands of saints did or did not do enough such that their corpses are not incorruptable. They should have carried out an experiment in which they subject these corpses to conditions which would cause extensive decomposition in a relatively short period of time. Let's see how "incorrupt" are they.

How about a small label near the casket saying "Read up on Natural Mummification in your local library"?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2012, 10:16 AM
(23-06-2012 09:40 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I say the real wonder of the whole bodies of the saints thing is how amazed catholics are at looking at corpses. They make such a big deal but their religion says the body is just a shell. They shouldn't care much at all about the bodies.

That is amazing. They *say* they actually have the "body, blood, soul, and divinity", of *you know who* up on the altar, but they are all distracted by this stuff. Clearly they can't possibly really mean it, or believe it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Is there a collection plate and candles to pay to light in front of these wax figures?
You're damn right there is...
No one whores their dead out better than the catholics.
If I put my dead grandmother on display in my living room and asked for donation to see her, I would be arrested and sent for psychiatric evaluation. BUT, if it's a Saint...well put'um on display.
The only question I have is, "Actually when and how did humanity go completely insane?"

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
23-06-2012, 11:02 AM
From the pictures that are displayed, I have to wonder why there aren't any recent photographs and why are they all taken from far away or so close up you can't get any other context. They all look either waxy or mummified...either one is easily explained...they're either waxy or mummified.

It's interesting that there are hundreds (thousands?) of saints, yet only a very few are "preserved." Why aren't the other saints on display? Also of note is the fact that only Catholics believe this sort of stuff and at that, it's usually only Catholics in 3rd world countries or really old people who believe in superstition. If these bodies are truly miraculous, then why not open them up for review to prove it's a miracle and not smoke and mirrors?

I don't usually accuse religionists for purposely conspiring to perpetuate lies and superstitions, but anyone behind this sort of act is clearly trying to perpetuate a hoax in order to raise money and increase their hold on the gullible masses.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
23-06-2012, 11:14 AM
It's a miracle - not.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/incorruptible.htm

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
23-06-2012, 11:36 AM
(23-06-2012 11:14 AM)Thomas Wrote:  It's a miracle - not.

I love love LOVE how stuff works! Do you listen to their podcast?

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
23-06-2012, 12:02 PM
(23-06-2012 11:36 AM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 11:14 AM)Thomas Wrote:  It's a miracle - not.

I love love LOVE how stuff works! Do you listen to their podcast?
Not yet, but a good idea.

23-06-2012, 01:14 PM
(23-06-2012 12:02 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 11:36 AM)angela_means_fallen_angel Wrote:  I love love LOVE how stuff works! Do you listen to their podcast?
Not yet, but a good idea.
It's called "Stuff you should know". It's one of my favorite podcasts.

23-06-2012, 04:51 PM
So not even the worms wanted to touch them?
Must have been terrible people…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche