Increase in fetal abnormalities in Fallugah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Increase in fetal abnormalities in Fallugah
This may be old news to some but I came across it only today. Apparently in Fallugah, Iraq there is a very disturbing level of fetal abnormalities. Very much higher than the level in other nearby countries or locals.

The article I read and the place I found it imply that this is because of the use of depleted uranium enhanced weapons. After reading the article and making a brief internet search I found out that this is commonly believed if detailed epidemiological studies have not been carried out. Remember some of the most intense fighting in the Iraq war took place in Fallugah.

I did not read all the available information thoroughly because as a father and now grandfather it very much creeped me out.

Two things about this do not surprise me.

That it happened. Introducing a toxin like depleted uranium into an environment is likely to have long term negative impacts.

The main stream US press has essentially ignored this. I do not read the local paper more than 3 times a week but when I do I do so thoroughly, I have seen nothing about this there or on the TV news which I watch maybe 5 times a week. To the main stream US media our attack on Iraq was only positive and the long terms effects of it are only positive. This gross negative effect is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Maybe when US soldiers show negative effects years later because of exposure to depleted uranium the main stream press may say something, like they eventually did regarding the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam. Similar to the reporting on Agent Orange the long term effects on the Iraqis will be little discussed and the role of the war mongers will not not be considered.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
RE: Increase in fetal abnormalities in Fallugah
(11-06-2013 11:44 AM)JAH Wrote:  This may be old news to some but I came across it only today. Apparently in Fallugah, Iraq there is a very disturbing level of fetal abnormalities. Very much higher than the level in other nearby countries or locals.

The article I read and the place I found it imply that this is because of the use of depleted uranium enhanced weapons. After reading the article and making a brief internet search I found out that this is commonly believed if detailed epidemiological studies have not been carried out. Remember some of the most intense fighting in the Iraq war took place in Fallugah.

I did not read all the available information thoroughly because as a father and now grandfather it very much creeped me out.

That it happened. Introducing a toxin like depleted uranium into an environment is likely to have long term negative impacts.

The main stream US press has essentially ignored this. I do not read the local paper more than 3 times a week but when I do I do so thoroughly, I have seen nothing about this there or on the TV news which I watch maybe 5 times a week. To the main stream US media our attack on Iraq was only positive and the long terms effects of it are only positive. This gross negative effect is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Maybe when US soldiers show negative effects years later because of exposure to depleted uranium the main stream press may say something, like they eventually did regarding the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam. Similar to the reporting on Agent Orange the long term effects on the Iraqis will be little discussed and the role of the war mongers will not not be considered.

Correlation does not mean causation. You are jumping to a conclusion.

You actually haven't even demonstrated correlation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 02:44 PM
(11-06-2013 11:44 AM)JAH Wrote:  This may be old news to some but I came across it only today. Apparently in Fallugah, Iraq there is a very disturbing level of fetal abnormalities. Very much higher than the level in other nearby countries or locals.

My first question would be concerning all the other chemicals that must have been introduced during that period, (and maybe even remain in that environment). Depleted Uranium was reported to have caused all sorts of ill health effects in the Kuwait/Iraq war, so it would not be at all surprising that it might be the culprit here. I noticed on the BBC last weekend 8 people were blown up on one day, last Sunday, in Iraq. Boy we sure did them a favor.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
(11-06-2013 02:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

My first question would be concerning all the other chemicals that must have been introduced during that period, (and maybe even remain in that environment). Depleted Uranium was reported to have caused all sorts of ill health effects in the Kuwait/Iraq war, so it would not be at all surprising that it might be the culprit here. I noticed on the BBC last weekend 8 people were blown up on one day, last Sunday, in Iraq. Boy we sure did them a favor.

Birth defects is not a known risk of depleted uranium exposure. Its known health effects are those of other heavy-metal toxicity, including renal failure, cancer, chronic fatigue, eye/ear problems, and so on.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 04:08 PM by JAH.)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20...17701.html

I was going to respond to Bucky Ball that perhaps white phosphorus had a hand in the increase in fetal abnormalities in Iraq and found this.

As I said in the OP detailed epidemiological studies have not yet been done. The articles I read did point the finger at depleted uranium and I went with that.

Whatever is the actual cause of this gross negative impact on the people of Iraq it is a non issue in the main stream press and will only become an issue if american service personnel are effected in the future.
11-06-2013, 03:33 PM
(11-06-2013 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Birth defects is not a known risk of depleted uranium exposure. Its known health effects are those of other heavy-metal toxicity, including renal failure, cancer, chronic fatigue, eye/ear problems, and so on.

It is radioactive, which is known to cause birth defects. So it is a possibility.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
(11-06-2013 03:33 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Birth defects is not a known risk of depleted uranium exposure. Its known health effects are those of other heavy-metal toxicity, including renal failure, cancer, chronic fatigue, eye/ear problems, and so on.

It is radioactive, which is known to cause birth defects. So it is a possibility.

However, it is less radioactive than naturally occurring uranium. That's what 'depleted' means.

It is possible that it might have that effect since one of the really nasty effects of heavy metal poisoning is that the metal persists in the body - we are unable to excrete it. But it would have to concentrate in or near the genitals and there is no evidence of that. It tends to accumulate in the major organs.

Well, it might be due to developmental issues in utero, but there is no evidence of that, either.

Still, it is nasty stuff. There are worse heavy metals to be exposed to, like cadmium or mercury.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Using white phosphorous and depleted uranium

Drinking Beverage

War Crime

But then again, so was agent orange when it was made specifically to drop on korean soldiers during the korean war.

does anyone here believe that the usage of white phosphorous or depleted uranium is for any other purposes than to have a more harmful impact on a population.
13-06-2013, 05:15 AM
(12-06-2013 11:22 PM)I and I Wrote:  Using white phosphorous and depleted uranium

Drinking Beverage

War Crime

But then again, so was agent orange when it was made specifically to drop on korean soldiers during the korean war.

does anyone here believe that the usage of white phosphorous or depleted uranium is for any other purposes than to have a more harmful impact on a population.

Yes, DU is used to make a more effective armor-piercing round. This is not an anti-personnel weapon.

13-06-2013, 07:14 AM
(11-06-2013 03:33 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  

False. The term 'depleted' uranium means that it has been stripped of the U-235 isotope. It's over 99% U-238 and is not radioactive - at least not in doses high enough to cause health problems.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade