Increase in fetal abnormalities in Fallugah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 07:27 AM
RE: Increase in fetal abnormalities in Fallugah
(13-06-2013 07:14 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 03:33 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  It is radioactive, which is known to cause birth defects. So it is a possibility.

False. The term 'depleted' uranium means that it has been stripped of the U-235 isotope. It's over 99% U-238 and is not radioactive - at least not in doses high enough to cause health problems.

It is not entirely non-radioactive. Heavy metals accumulate in the body, so there is a long-term cumulative effect.

However, I don't think this is a likely effect as the radioactivity is very low. I was simply not being dismissive of the idea as it is not well-studied.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 10:30 AM
(13-06-2013 05:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 11:22 PM)I and I Wrote:  Using white phosphorous and depleted uranium

Drinking Beverage

War Crime

But then again, so was agent orange when it was made specifically to drop on korean soldiers during the korean war.

does anyone here believe that the usage of white phosphorous or depleted uranium is for any other purposes than to have a more harmful impact on a population.

Yes, DU is used to make a more effective armor-piercing round. This is not an anti-personnel weapon.

What makes you think it's harder?
Find all posts by this user
13-06-2013, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 10:38 AM by Chas.)
(13-06-2013 10:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 05:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, DU is used to make a more effective armor-piercing round. This is not an anti-personnel weapon.

What makes you think it's harder?

What?

DU Munitions

13-06-2013, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 11:43 AM by JAH.)
This wandering around discussing what is the exact cause and how weapons work is missing the primary point.

As I said in my OP detailed epidemiological studies have not been done. I went with depleted uranium because the articles I saw pointed their finger at that. In my second post I found something that suggested white phosphorous may have played a role.

The real story is that horrible birth defects are occurring in areas in Iraq that were subject to heavy fighting and the US press is essentially ignoring it.

Worse the Iraqis are being left to fend on their own with no effort by the US or British (they were also heavily involved in Fallugh) to help find out what is going on.

I do not know if any specific aid was given to the civilian victims of the atomic bombs in Japan. I do know that no specific aid has been given to the civilian victims of agent orange and its contaminant dioxin in Vietnam. No specific aid to the civilian victims in Iraq is occurring now.

The US wishes to go to war with no restrictions. Including restrictions on activities that may damage the civilian population. That is the real story.

Read about some of the birth defects. They are horrific. I could not stand to read very much.

Yes Chas so far the evidence is correlation and causation is not known. If the perpetrators of war feel no need to know it will always be correlation but so strong as to be compelling that the cause was the result of combat activities.

It should also be said that the use of agent orange in Vietnam was known to cause long term health problems. It was done anyway. American troops were not even properly trained in handling it.
13-06-2013, 02:24 PM
(13-06-2013 10:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 10:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  What makes you think it's harder?

What?

DU Munitions

What makes you think the reason for using depleted uranium is because it makes the shells harder?

Again, regardless of the reason or intent, it is a war crime to use uranium in weapons.

Here it comes...."war crime to who" relativist argument. Here we go kids.
13-06-2013, 03:42 PM
(13-06-2013 02:24 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 10:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  What?

DU Munitions

What makes you think the reason for using depleted uranium is because it makes the shells harder?

Again, regardless of the reason or intent, it is a war crime to use uranium in weapons.

Here it comes...."war crime to who" relativist argument. Here we go kids.

Did you read the article? It's not harder, it's denser - nearly twice the density of lead.
Density is critical for ballistic terminal performance, that's why lead is used for bullets instead of metals that are less dense.

And, no, it is not a war crime. Lead is a toxic heavy metal, too.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Chas, I must point out that there has been at least some discussion of banning depleted uranium weapons if it has not gotten much attention.
13-06-2013, 04:45 PM
(13-06-2013 04:36 PM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, I must point out that there has been at least some discussion of banning depleted uranium weapons if it has not gotten much attention.

But they have not been banned as of yet.

What are the reasons put forward for banning them?

13-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Chas, I do not know for sure, I only confirmed what I thought which is that there has been some discussion. I haven't the time right now to look it up.