Increased earthquake activity, whats going on?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 09:08 AM
RE: Increased earthquake activity, whats going on?
People will use any natural disaster or traumatic event to keep their delusions relevant. In all honesty, whenever I hear of these earthquake occurrences, my first thought is that it's just the planet doing planet-y stuff. I don't have to have any sort of big scientific explantation for why these things happen.

Same thing with the bible and it's "predictions." They're vague enough to apply to anything happening today. People will always see what they want to see.

As for the OP, I honestly don't think they're a troll by any means. They can mostly be a non-believer and still have doubts every now and then just as a believer will have their doubts every now and then. To me, it's natural to have questions and want answers from others. I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on them just yet.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
12-05-2015, 10:05 AM
(12-05-2015 09:08 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  As for the OP, I honestly don't think they're a troll by any means.

Based on the wording in the OP, I do think they sound like a Christian trying to create a wedge to make believing a reasonable option. They may just be really confused but it isn't passing the smell test.

As far as more earthquakes goes, the population has expanded into more areas and we now have instant communication and 24-hour news that is desperate to fill time so we hear about many more. Some, like the ones is the central US, do appear to be more frequent but linked to human activity. Earthquakes can come in clusters, like any other natural process, and that doesn't mean very much in the long run. If there is a god who is trying to let me know something this way then he's an incredibly ineffective communicator.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
12-05-2015, 10:17 AM
(12-05-2015 10:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:08 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  As for the OP, I honestly don't think they're a troll by any means.

Based on the wording in the OP, I do think they sound like a Christian trying to create a wedge to make believing a reasonable option. They may just be really confused but it isn't passing the smell test.

As far as more earthquakes goes, the population has expanded into more areas and we now have instant communication and 24-hour news that is desperate to fill time so we hear about many more. Some, like the ones is the central US, do appear to be more frequent but linked to human activity. Earthquakes can come in clusters, like any other natural process, and that doesn't mean very much in the long run. If there is a god who is trying to let me know something this way then he's an incredibly ineffective communicator.

As a former christian, I can tell you that making a transition out of all the brainwashing and into reality is a very hard thing to do. It is especially hard when you've got christian family and friends putting doubts in your mind as you are trying to transition out of that belief system. Anyway, that's what I thought when I read the person's post--that he/she was fairly new to the atheist community, but still may fall back into doubts when christian family and friends start using scare tactics. This happened to me when I was starting to make my transition from brainwashed christian to atheist. Years of brainwashing don't just go away overnight. Anyway, I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, until they sufficiently prove otherwise.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
12-05-2015, 10:36 AM
(12-05-2015 08:16 AM)masterx1234 Wrote:  im not a troll and i thought this atheist community would be a good place to discuss this, oh and thanks for the negative rep, guess this will be my first and last post here.

Typically, atheists don't believe in prophecy, so when you say that you were scared about prophecies coming true--it kind of makes people wonder whether or not you are being serious in your post or just looking to start shit (as happens quite frequently in here). If you are serious poster, maybe elaborate a little more on why as an atheist you are worried about bible prophecies coming true?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
12-05-2015, 10:39 AM
(12-05-2015 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 10:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Based on the wording in the OP, I do think they sound like a Christian trying to create a wedge to make believing a reasonable option. They may just be really confused but it isn't passing the smell test.

As a former christian, I can tell you that making a transition out of all the brainwashing and into reality is a very hard thing to do. It is especially hard when you've got christian family and friends putting doubts in your mind as you are trying to transition out of that belief system. Anyway, that's what I thought when I read the person's post--that he/she was fairly new to the atheist community, but still may fall back into doubts when christian family and friends start using scare tactics. This happened to me when I was starting to make my transition from brainwashed christian to atheist. Years of brainwashing don't just go away overnight. Anyway, I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, until they sufficiently prove otherwise.

Exactly. Escaping the threat of hell can be hard. I didn't have such an experience, but I know several people who do.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
12-05-2015, 11:20 AM
(11-05-2015 07:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  "I'm an atheist but are the Bible prophecies true?"

Who approves these posts? Facepalm

Obvious trolling is obvious. Drinking Beverage

I think the OP is really young, and possibly referring to his/hers mothers references to the bible.

I might be wrong, but I think its more a case of immaturity/age.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2015, 11:25 AM
(09-05-2015 09:43 PM)masterx1234 Wrote:  Hey everyone im new here and i want to ask my first question and hopefully i can get a answer. As an atheist my religious mom is going absolutely nuts about all these earthquakes happening, and i myself am worried, why is there so many earthquakes happening within this short amount of time? is something happening that we should worry about? is the bible prophecy real and are we doomed? these are all questions that have been on my mind lately, but i am an atheist and i try to think logic first but this stuff has me kinda scared. so can someone at least give me a legit reason why were seeing so much increased earthquake activity??

its the fault lines.
the Himilayas are a gigantic fault. Check the map here.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/...Where.html

earthquakes happen every single day. some big, some little.

add in fracking and now areas that were once fairly solid are shifting.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Mother Earth has indigestion - we're just feeling her tummy rumble.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-05-2015, 11:41 AM
(12-05-2015 11:36 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Mother Earth has indigestion - we're just feeling her tummy rumble.

It's gas. Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
(12-05-2015 10:39 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  As a former christian, I can tell you that making a transition out of all the brainwashing and into reality is a very hard thing to do. It is especially hard when you've got christian family and friends putting doubts in your mind as you are trying to transition out of that belief system. Anyway, that's what I thought when I read the person's post--that he/she was fairly new to the atheist community, but still may fall back into doubts when christian family and friends start using scare tactics. This happened to me when I was starting to make my transition from brainwashed christian to atheist. Years of brainwashing don't just go away overnight. Anyway, I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, until they sufficiently prove otherwise.

Exactly. Escaping the threat of hell can be hard. I didn't have such an experience, but I know several people who do.

Yeah, I had several christian "friends" try and scare me back into believing in Jesus after I told them I was an atheist. It did put a few doubts in my mind--when I had just transitioned into atheism. I knew I didn't believe on a logical level--but you are right--when you are taught and brainwashed for years to fear hell...it is really hard to untangle your mind from all of that. It was a long process--but, I am so glad that I was able to get out of all of that religious bullshit.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post