Indefinite lifespan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Indefinite lifespan?
The previous decade has been an exciting one in terms of life extension studies on worms and mice. There were stories of scientists making worms live six times longer and their normal lifespan and reversing aging in mice. There was the story of the "miracle" compound known as TA-65 which extended the length of the telomeres at the ends of the chromosomes, thereby keeping your cells young, healthy, and regenerative. Diets devoted to life extension began popping up as well such as calorie-restrictive diets that encouraged the body to pump out the enzyme FOXO and Rapamycin. Stem-cell research, gene therapy, and research devoted to the "printing" and growing of full, operational artificial organs became seen as well. Ray Kurzweil and Michio Kaku, well renown futurists, predict that indefinite lifespan is possible within at least two generations. So given that there is all this time and money devoted to extending life, would you prescribe to any of these methods? Would you want to live forever?

I haven't even divulged into the "plugging-in" methods that remind one of the Matrix or the Caprica worlds. Out of all the ways to reach an indefinite lifespan, I think I would hate the cyborg or mind uploading approach because with one switch, that digital world can be shut off.

Personally, and it might be seen as selfish, but I would greatly love to live many years beyond a normal lifespan. I think it would be great to see us finally leave Earth and start exploring our solar system. I would hope that, like an old car, I can just keep upgrading and polishing my own body through gene therapy, diet, replacement parts [lol], perhaps some artificial limbs, and improvements such as better eye sight [instead of 20/20, let it be like 50/50 hehe]. Alas, I fear that I may not be in that place. We are probably a few more generation away from seeing people that live to be 200+ years.

I don't know, what would you like to see if you had the opportunity to live as long as you wanted? Any other theories can be posted, you don't have to rely on all the ones above. I'd actually be curious about what other theories there are to extending life. How do you think society would cope with so-many people living so long?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2012, 03:04 PM
RE: Indefinite lifespan?
Do you remember dolly the clone sheep? It died from age related stuff when it was still young. ... So with your organs... I don't think that it works because if you use your own material > it has a certain age, your age, it would maybe not be broken like the rest of your body or the used organ but it would not be really younger even if it was just grown... does that make any sense? Sounds logical in my mind.

Anyway, I don't think I want to get a lot older then I will be naturally. People in my family died around 80. If I make it to 80, fine, if not, fine too. As long as I am not wasting my life there is nothing else I need to see. Sure, curious how life will be 500 years from now but i don't want to wait and get bored of life for 400 years just to see if we are going to settle on the moon.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
18-01-2012, 03:35 PM
(18-01-2012 03:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  Do you remember dolly the clone sheep? It died from age related stuff when it was still young. ... So with your organs... I don't think that it works because if you use your own material > it has a certain age, your age, it would maybe not be broken like the rest of your body or the used organ but it would not be really younger even if it was just grown... does that make any sense? Sounds logical in my mind.

Anyway, I don't think I want to get a lot older then I will be naturally. People in my family died around 80. If I make it to 80, fine, if not, fine too. As long as I am not wasting my life there is nothing else I need to see. Sure, curious how life will be 500 years from now but i don't want to wait and get bored of life for 400 years just to see if we are going to settle on the moon.

You mean if you grow/hatch a clone of a 40 year old the clone is just born but will only live maybe 40 years because it's body is already 40 years old? So if you could clone yourself you'd still die anyway because your clone would be however old you are?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-01-2012, 03:37 PM
(18-01-2012 03:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-01-2012 03:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  Do you remember dolly the clone sheep? It died from age related stuff when it was still young. ... So with your organs... I don't think that it works because if you use your own material > it has a certain age, your age, it would maybe not be broken like the rest of your body or the used organ but it would not be really younger even if it was just grown... does that make any sense? Sounds logical in my mind.

You mean if you grow/hatch a clone of a 40 year old the clone is just born but will only live maybe 40 years because it's body is already 40 years old? So if you could clone yourself you'd still die anyway because your clone would be however old you are?

That's one theory. It's not that your clone is 40, it's that the cells are already 40. Google 'telomeres'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2012, 03:56 PM
(18-01-2012 03:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2012 03:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

That's one theory. It's not that your clone is 40, it's that the cells are already 40. Google 'telomeres'.

That's what I meant. The clone is a copy of already aged cells.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Hmmmmm! Just turned 70 and am not a fan.

OLd, really old, would still be psychologically old perhaps, despite all the mind enhancing drugs.

And what of the, admittedly dying, former joys of childhood?

All those pseudo super old farts roaming about. Really!!! Sad
18-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I think I'd like to live much longer than the normal life span... besides, if I change my mind later I can always end it! Big Grin

Quote:I haven't even divulged into the "plugging-in" methods that remind one of the Matrix or the Caprica worlds. Out of all the ways to reach an indefinite lifespan, I think I would hate the cyborg or mind uploading approach because with one switch, that digital world can be shut off.

Why does there have to be an off switch? Tongue I sure as hell wouldn't design an off switch on a robot that was being built to house my body. Sure, you could always destroy the machine or remove whatever power supply it uses, but the same goes for the normal human body.

Mind upload would be pretty damn cool because you could in theory do a lot of other stuff besides just extend your lifespan. How would you like to have a calculator built into your mind, or a connection to Wikipedia? If your computer was faster than your old brain, you could see reality in slow motion. Instead of boarding a plane or car and flying somewhere, just transfer your mind to a temporary body already there. Afraid of dying? Back up your mind daily. Not to even mention the infinite other superhuman abilities you could have depending on your body: flying, underwater capabilities, incredible strength, perfect video and audio memory of every day for the past year, extreme precision, telescopic eyesight, telepathy with other cyborgs over the internet, to name a few.

Sadly, I very much doubt I'll live to see any of this happen. Sad
18-01-2012, 07:35 PM
(18-01-2012 03:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's one theory. It's not that your clone is 40, it's that the cells are already 40. Google 'telomeres'.

Not clear yet that we won't become capable of lengthening shortened telomeres with technology. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Here's an interesting documentary hosted by Adam Savage, highlighting the possible methods of living forever.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
19-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I loved watching that. They sort of lost me when the asteroid hit, after all by 2182 we should have proper deflection techniques =p

But the science there is amazing. I would so take part in building backups. I figure that I could avoid the Hayflick limit altogether by storing my current cells at the Cyrogenics facilities in Arizona and then growing a whole new body when this body gets too old. The brain transfer seems to be the toughest part and then again there are ethical and moral issues. Is growing a clone, taking out the clone brain and replacing it with your own considered murdering your clone? Such new boundaries to make and break... I think they should have a way to grow a new body minus the brain of the clone so that it is more-or-less a shell. We could replace the shell like hermit crabs.