Indefinite lifespan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 01:45 AM
RE: Indefinite lifespan?
(18-01-2012 07:50 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Here's an interesting documentary hosted by Adam Savage, highlighting the possible methods of living forever.

Am I the only one that noticed that Adam actually aged and got young, while the same news reporter never changed during the entire video? Tongue

That said... cool video.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 01:54 AM
(18-01-2012 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-01-2012 03:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's one theory. It's not that your clone is 40, it's that the cells are already 40. Google 'telomeres'.

Not clear yet that we won't become capable of lengthening shortened telomeres with technology. Wink

Yes, I was speaking of the past/current; no reason we shouldn't be able.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I am aware of the troubles that ran into Dolly, the cloned sheep dying at a premature age, but what if someone like me, whom is 22 at the moment and I took some cells at my current age and froze them in the cryogenics facility in Arizona [great place for a cryogenics lab lol]. I liked the replacement bodies idea. If only there was a way to remove the brain and place it into another body [sounds very Frankenstein-y, I know].

The telomeres of my hypothetical frozen cells would still be 22 and stay that way in a frozen environment. Then when my current body gets into it's 80s or so, I can just thaw those frozen cells, clone them and then enter a perfectly aged 22 year old body again. I could live a whole new lifetime. The process could almost go on for centuries, as long as I continue to save frozen cells at a ripe, young age.

I never understood why cloning is illegal. I think the idea is quite interesting. It was considered science fiction 20 years ago.
26-01-2012, 10:53 AM
There is a jellyfish that is biologically immortal.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 11:34 AM
(26-01-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is a jellyfish that is biologically immortal.

That is pretty cool. Never heard of that before. Although after reading the section on biological immortality it says they are far more likely to fall to the dangers of other creatures in the ocean.

But that said.. theoretically if that were not a concern, they could in fact fact potentially keep going back and forth. That's interesting.
28-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Even if you would freeze cells and start "using them" when you are eighty the rest of your current body will be old. Your liver fails, you grow a 22 year old liver and put it in, 4 weeks later your kidneys fail and you grow some and put them in, another 2 months later your heart fails, you grow one and put it in, next your eyes fail, you grow some and put them in, in the meantimes you get complications from the surgeries but at the same time something happens to your lungs and you need to grow one and put it in, lots of your bones start getting very fragile and break a lot because by now you are over 100, you keep regrowing bones, and transplant them, also your veins start making problems, your skin is dark brown by now, you also got more complications because you had so many surgeries and also a cold (yes only a cold), You start taking medicine for the cold and some reactions from the surgery scars, Your bones keep breaking, more and more organs fail and doctors are not performing surgery anymore because you are 150 now and it is too dangerous not only because you are very old but also because you have health problems and had lots of surgeries already....

Doesn't sound very fun to me. You'd spend more time in hospitals then you'd have time to see what is happening to the world and experience things.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm reading Iain M Banks' latest book in the Culture series, not everyone's cup of tea but I like it. In the Culture, minds are routinely backed up and downloaded into new bodies but the new book introduces people who chose to live on in cyber-heavens and the numerous civilisations who send people's digital minds to cyber-hell for eternal torture.

Interesting twist on the Matix/VR idea.

Edit:
link to the book - http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Detail-Cul...103&sr=8-6
01-02-2012, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2012 12:47 AM by DeepThought.)
I think its possible that we could gain 20+ years on our parents if we play our cards right.

The problems with dolly were due to a combination of genetic mutation from the cloning technique and yes - the telomeres were not reset.

With current stem cell technology it might be possible to reverse the cells age. Cancer cells don't have issues with ageing. It really comes down to more than just telomeres.

Scientists turn back the clock on adult stem cells aging:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-sc...cells.html

Our cells already have the genes needed to proliferate indefinitely. It's a matter of switching them on. We have a telemerase enzyme than lengthens telomeres but there are lots of other issues that cause cell cycle arrest.

Genetic mutation from aging, environment and copy errors is one of the larger issues especially if your going to convert cells back to the pluripotent stage, make a billion copies, make them young again and put them back in the body to rejuvenate tissue.

Allot of drugs that are currently known to extend lifespan (by disabling genes that stop a cell from dividing) also increase cancer risk. Some of the genes that cause us to age also protect us from cancer so we need a way to efficiently fix mutations via some error correction and averaging process. Sounds complicated to me.

Still, we make allot of progress!

Correcting Mutations in Stem Cells:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-10-ge...ation.html

Efficiency improvements in reprogramming cells:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-supe...iency.html

We can now culture human cells in a lab indefinitely - a major breakthrough:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-di...dical.html

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Lobsters can supposedly live forever, or until I eat them...whichever comes 1st.
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Mega rich grey power to rule the world, with the poor aged turned into zombie slaves. Sounds great. Confused