Indefinite lifespan?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2012, 01:49 AM
RE: Indefinite lifespan?
(28-01-2012 07:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  Even if you would freeze cells and start "using them" when you are eighty the rest of your current body will be old. Your liver fails, you grow a 22 year old liver and put it in, 4 weeks later your kidneys fail and you grow some and put them in, another 2 months later your heart fails, you grow one and put it in, next your eyes fail, you grow some and put them in, in the meantimes you get complications from the surgeries but at the same time something happens to your lungs and you need to grow one and put it in, lots of your bones start getting very fragile and break a lot because by now you are over 100, you keep regrowing bones, and transplant them, also your veins start making problems, your skin is dark brown by now, you also got more complications because you had so many surgeries and also a cold (yes only a cold), You start taking medicine for the cold and some reactions from the surgery scars, Your bones keep breaking, more and more organs fail and doctors are not performing surgery anymore because you are 150 now and it is too dangerous not only because you are very old but also because you have health problems and had lots of surgeries already....

Doesn't sound very fun to me. You'd spend more time in hospitals then you'd have time to see what is happening to the world and experience things.

I don't think you understood what I was talking about Leela. I was saying that you could grow a "whole" new body and then just transplant the 80-year-old brain into the new "shell." I'd dump the old body entirely since I'd have a whole new body.

In essence it would be a clone, but the ethical and moral issue would come from the fact that the clone body would have a brain too (unless the clone was somehow supposed to be grown without a brain). I would not run into the "Dolly" problem because the cells used to create the clone would be frozen in time literally at a ripe 22 years. The original body 'would' be fragile and suffer these problems you listed, but I wouldn't keep it. Why would I keep the original when I would transplant my brain into the new clone body? That's where I got the Frankenstein analogy. This actually brings another question to mind. Do you think that a brain transplant would work if the brain is still kept alive? In Frankenstein, they used a dead brain. Of course, I know it's a fictional story so I really don't want to hear that, but the potential science could be astounding.

I'd like to see what would happen if they did this on a dog for instance. If the brain-transplanted clone dog body recognized their owners and it's own name post transfer, then that would be an incredible achievement. How you would go about connecting the nerve and spinal tissue in the clone body to a brain that isn't connected would be a problem for modern science. We still have issues and expenses trying to get the paralyzed to walk again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply