Index Card Arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: Index Card Arguments
(25-07-2016 11:13 AM)Mkline2 Wrote:  Recently I have undertaken a small project to write down exact reasons I stopped believing in a god. I do this on 3x5 index cards I keep in an index card holder in my truck. Then whenever I run into the evangelicals, mormons on campus, or anyone else who challenges my lack of belief, I simply pull out this little box and explain that for them to convert me to their religion, all they need do is disprove the arguments I have in the box.

My question for the forum is, what arguments would you guys put in the box? I've been writing them out for a while but I know I will always be missing a few and would like to hear other people's reasons for not believing (yes if I agree with what you write I may write it on a notecard an put it in my own box.) If the issue is scientific in nature, please provide sources, and if it is philosophical please include any relevant quotes from philosopher if applicable. Yes I'm detailed in this, I originally started this because I could not remember sources for my scientific arguments on the fly. So now if I am arguing with an Abrahamic faith based believer and they try and tell me there are records of Jews in Egypt in massive numbers I have the exact source that says there was not.

I realize this post is becoming long, but this section is for those interested in the layout and use of the cards. In top left I put the primary "target," so is this argument against the concept of a god in general or the christian god specifically? Then top right is length of argument, for example the problem of evil is a long discussion while a quick bible contradiction is classified as short. This helps me pick one appropriate for the venue, I'm not going to stand with a street preacher and engage in an hour or so debate over the problem of evil, I'll just pull out a bible contradiction and hear his counterargument. Upper left under target is the argument itself, ex "Problem of Evil." Rest of card is devote to quotes and sources, so for the problem of evil I have Epicurus' quote and fallacies to watch for when arguing this point, for the problem of evil I see the Texas sharpshooter fallacy a lot, got to count the misses with the hits son.

Really sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate hearing what your guys' notecards would say. Thank you for the time.

Almost all of the OT is myth. Bogus. It never happened.
No flood, no Exodus, no Adam and no Eve, (proven by DNA)
no Abraham (camels were not domesticated until after 1000 BCE, so a journey from UR was not possible). The Exodus is out, as Egypt controlled the entire Near East. Why would they "escape" from one place the Egyptians controlled to another they controlled. "Salvation" is meaningless to the Hebrews. Yahweh was a Babylonian deity, (war god), and he had a wife, (Ashera), the Hebrews were not monotheists ... the list is endless.

Put those in your box. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-07-2016, 05:07 PM
You are handcuffed to a chain in the desert.
I tell you the key is buried close by within your reach.
You can ask god where the key is or you can ask me.

Which one do you ask ?
Which one of us truly knows where the key is ?
Which one of us can free you ?

My plan is to let you search for an hour and then tell you where the key is.
God's plan is for you to never find the key and for you to die in the desert.

That must be his plan, because no matter how long you search in the sand, you'll never find the key.

Which plan do you like better ?
Which one of us cares whether or not you live or die ?

How many hours will you spend in the sun before you realize which one of us is real and has the power to unshackle you from the chains ?

PS - The key is in my pocket, not buried in the sand.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-07-2016, 07:59 PM
(25-07-2016 11:13 AM)Mkline2 Wrote:  Recently I have undertaken a small project to write down exact reasons I stopped believing in a god. I do this on 3x5 index cards I keep in an index card holder in my truck. Then whenever I run into the evangelicals, mormons on campus, or anyone else who challenges my lack of belief, I simply pull out this little box and explain that for them to convert me to their religion, all they need do is disprove the arguments I have in the box.

My question for the forum is, what arguments would you guys put in the box? I've been writing them out for a while but I know I will always be missing a few and would like to hear other people's reasons for not believing (yes if I agree with what you write I may write it on a notecard an put it in my own box.) If the issue is scientific in nature, please provide sources, and if it is philosophical please include any relevant quotes from philosopher if applicable. Yes I'm detailed in this, I originally started this because I could not remember sources for my scientific arguments on the fly. So now if I am arguing with an Abrahamic faith based believer and they try and tell me there are records of Jews in Egypt in massive numbers I have the exact source that says there was not.

I realize this post is becoming long, but this section is for those interested in the layout and use of the cards. In top left I put the primary "target," so is this argument against the concept of a god in general or the christian god specifically? Then top right is length of argument, for example the problem of evil is a long discussion while a quick bible contradiction is classified as short. This helps me pick one appropriate for the venue, I'm not going to stand with a street preacher and engage in an hour or so debate over the problem of evil, I'll just pull out a bible contradiction and hear his counterargument. Upper left under target is the argument itself, ex "Problem of Evil." Rest of card is devote to quotes and sources, so for the problem of evil I have Epicurus' quote and fallacies to watch for when arguing this point, for the problem of evil I see the Texas sharpshooter fallacy a lot, got to count the misses with the hits son.

Really sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate hearing what your guys' notecards would say. Thank you for the time.

You'll see this posted often:

[Image: The-Bible-and-science.jpg]

So what do all of these so-called pearls of wisdom from the bible have in common?

That you can cherry pick and interpret the bible to back up whatever you want to believe. Everything on that list is an example of post-hoc interpretation to make the bible match science and then declaring it to be a source of god's wisdom.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-07-2016, 10:23 PM
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -- John 3:17

Followed one line later by:

"This despite the fact that an omnipotent God could have just snapped His Fingers so that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. If He gave His only begotten Son to be hideously tortured and executed to achieve Salvation when He could have done the same thing bloodlessly, then Jesus's death on the Cross would have been completely gratuitous and pointlessly sadistic."
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
26-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Ask the theist - "Do you believe that everything that happens, happens according to god's will ?"

If I tell you I'm an atheist and you slap me, is that god slapping me or is this action not under god's control ?

If I do something bad to someone you care about, is that me doing it or god ?

If you believe that everything happens according to god's plan, then why do you pray for him to change his plan ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post