India Makes Gay Sex a Crime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 01:27 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: India Makes Gay Sex a Crime
(12-12-2013 12:13 PM)frankksj Wrote:  I think you're chasing a red herring because the actual issue highlights the flaw in your belief system. It's not an issue of equality.

Wrong.
They are establishing laws which prevent the SAME free expression of innate, sexuality which gay people are BORN with, that straight people are FREE to engage in, that they are BORN with. The real red herring here is your attempt to equate sexual expression by those who desire to engage in it, with sex by people who have no interest in it. The equality stems from the PEOPLE and THEIR innate sexuality, NOT the actual sexual expression. It is NO more equal to equate opposite sex expression for GAY people, as it would be to equate same sex behavior by straight people. Nice try, but fail. It's not "equal" treatment to fail to recognize people have different orientations.

(12-12-2013 12:13 PM)frankksj Wrote:  Today, being gay is socially acceptable, so you guys realize it's cruel to ban this activity. BUT, just 30 years ago, being gay was socially equivalent to being a pedophile. In 1986 the US Supreme Court ruled that anybody who had gay sex should be locked up in prison. Liberals and democrats were not defending gay people back then. They agreed it was revolting behavior that should not be allowed.

So what. The point is what ? Cultural norms change all the time.

(12-12-2013 12:13 PM)frankksj Wrote:  This issue is harder for liberals to accept because then the question becomes "What harmless, private behavior do liberals support criminalizing today, that in 30 years we will look back and see it as barbaric."

Off topic, ranting man. You really cannot help yourself can you. Maybe there are pills for that. Weeping

(12-12-2013 12:13 PM)frankksj Wrote:  The sad reality is that the anti-sodomy laws just show the immorality of letting the majority decide what is acceptable behavior for the minority, and even today there are thousands of banned "behaviors" that are harmless. So if you set aside societal acceptance, I don't see the anti-sodomy laws as being any more egregious than all the other positive laws.

Such as ? And so what again. What is your point ? If YOU don't care, who the fuck cares ? Millions of gay people do. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

BTW, didn't you forget to tie this in with Obama Care ? Isn't it terrible Obama Care has to cover butt buddies ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
(12-12-2013 12:13 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 10:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  And constitutionality is the purview of the judiciary.

I think you're chasing a red herring because the actual issue highlights the flaw in your belief system. It's not an issue of equality. They are banning EVERYBODY from having gay sex. Even straight people. Just like marijuana laws don't violate the equality clause for discriminating against "pot smokers". They don't. They ban EVERYBODY from smoking pot, thus equality is not an issue. Besides, there are LOTS of other sex laws on the books. In some states, anal sex is illegal, even between a husband and wife. That's not discrimination--the law DOES apply equally to everybody. It's not a ban on who you are (ie black, asian, etc.), it's a ban on what you do.

The REAL issue is that what we see in India shows the stupidity of letting the government decide what people can and cannot do in private, behind closed doors, even if they're not hurting anyone else. This presents a dilemma for you non-libertarians because you really do want to be able to pass laws dictating morality (like using drugs) and you want to be able to tell people what is acceptable behavior.

Today, being gay is socially acceptable, so you guys realize it's cruel to ban this activity. BUT, just 30 years ago, being gay was socially equivalent to being a pedophile. In 1986 the US Supreme Court ruled that anybody who had gay sex should be locked up in prison. Liberals and democrats were not defending gay people back then. They agreed it was revolting behavior that should not be allowed.

This issue is harder for liberals to accept because then the question becomes "What harmless, private behavior do liberals support criminalizing today, that in 30 years we will look back and see it as barbaric."

The sad reality is that the anti-sodomy laws just show the immorality of letting the majority decide what is acceptable behavior for the minority, and even today there are thousands of banned "behaviors" that are harmless. So if you set aside societal acceptance, I don't see the anti-sodomy laws as being any more egregious than all the other positive laws.

And that has exactly nothing to do with my point.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Croatias anti-gay referendum passes by two thirds majority.
http://rt.com/news/croatia-anti-gay-referendum-536/
12-12-2013, 09:58 PM
(12-12-2013 07:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Croatias anti-gay referendum passes by two thirds majority.
http://rt.com/news/croatia-anti-gay-referendum-536/

The Croats are arguing over same sex marriage. India, on the other hand, has taken it to the next level ~ criminalizing homosexual sex.
12-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Love/marriage/sex....
Whats in a name?
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
12-12-2013, 10:37 PM
(12-12-2013 10:36 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Love/marriage/sex....
Whats in a name?

Quite a lot, actually. Rational people recognize this. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
New Poll topic - Anyone in "love" should be allowed to get married?
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
12-12-2013, 11:38 PM
(12-12-2013 10:46 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  New Poll topic - Anyone in "love" should be allowed to get married?

Yay. Cuz now I can run out and marry my dog. Weeping
Fuck these people are so obvious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-12-2013, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 08:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-12-2013 08:31 PM)TheBear Wrote:  This isn't good news for society as a whole.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...hts-world/

I wonder what could have influenced or caused such a major step backwards. I didn't think Hindus had an issue with homosexuality.

So basically it's a reaffirmation of a colonial law against buggery left over from a century and a half ago by British buggers who fucking buggery each other. Big Grin

This is just a procedural issue. India ain't fucking backasswards and stupid. The lower court overstepped its bounds. Now it's on the Parliament's radar. Feels like the right call to me. Forces the issue on the legislature where it belongs.

(11-12-2013 09:16 PM)frankksj Wrote:  I think this is misleading, and I actually have to agree with the Indian Supreme Court's decision. The Court didn't say whether gay sex should be a crime, they just said that the lower court cannot change the laws. The legislative branch (Congress/Parliament) has to change the laws, and the judicial branch's role is strictly to judge who is and is not breaking the law.

Yeah. What Frank said. ... I really gotta start reading the whole thread before I respond. Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe they should criminalize the raping of women, it seems to be a big issue over there; baby brutes.