Indiana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Indiana
Is discrimination harm? If I can refuse to seat you at my restaurant because it goes against my religion, is that a tort? If I require a member to disconnect from outsiders or apostates to remain in good standing, is this not damaging?
Rant part over.
No... can't stop...Damn religious exemption from law. The law is sucky, granted.
But it is what we have to prevent powerful or rich groups from hurting people.
Theodore Roosevelt was a dirty commie. The concept of rights has been twisted until it is hardly coherent. Libertarians think they can create a safe environment around themselves and then lose when a strong predator wants what they have. Corporations buy whatever they want and lobby for more. Law has become what the rich pay for and nobody can make a significant move without paying or becoming a lawyer.

Ahem.

Does atheism equate to secularism in government? If not, why not?
Does secularism equate to putting checks on large piles of money(banks and huge corporations)? If not, why not?
Does secularism equate to protecting from harm the powerless from the powerful?
If not, why not?

One cockroach at a time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: Indiana
Is discrimination harm? Yes.
If I can refuse to seat you at my restaurant because it goes against my religion, is that a tort? It is illegal.
If I require a member to disconnect from outsiders or apostates to remain in good standing, is this not damaging? No, membership is voluntary.

Rant part over. Good.

No... can't stop...Damn religious exemption from law. The law is sucky, granted.
But it is what we have to prevent powerful or rich groups from hurting people. How so?
Theodore Roosevelt was a dirty commie. Seriously?

<snip>

Does atheism equate to secularism in government? If not, why not? No, but atheists support the concept.
Does secularism equate to putting checks on large piles of money(banks and huge corporations)? If not, why not? No, it is to put checks on religious power.
Does secularism equate to protecting from harm the powerless from the powerful? If not, why not? No, it is to protect everyone from others' religions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-03-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 03:40 PM by Billy Bob.)
(29-03-2015 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is discrimination harm? Yes.
If I can refuse to seat you at my restaurant because it goes against my religion, is that a tort? It is illegal.
If I require a member to disconnect from outsiders or apostates to remain in good standing, is this not damaging? No, membership is voluntary.

If your religious tenets so dictate, you can discriminate.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...oycotting/

I think your religion forcing you to make a choice between remaining a member and your family is wrong.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/26/thursday/#more-21219
I will also cite Children of God, Moonies and Anabaptists.
More mainstream religious cultures have used shunning and disconnection in the past, but for some reason do not now.

(29-03-2015 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Rant part over. Good.

But it is what we have to prevent powerful or rich groups from hurting people. How so?
Theodore Roosevelt was a dirty commie. Seriously?

Redress of grievances. I fear I am outgunned.

Teddy's legacy has been buried. Commie charge is of course hyperbole

(29-03-2015 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Does atheism equate to secularism in government? If not, why not? No, but atheists support the concept.
Does secularism equate to putting checks on large piles of money(banks and huge corporations)? If not, why not? No, it is to put checks on religious power.
Does secularism equate to protecting from harm the powerless from the powerful? If not, why not? No, it is to protect everyone from others' religions.

Then secularism is narrowly defined as opposition to the influence of belief systems of woo. It does not stretch to the opposition of non-woo belief systems. Smile
OK.

One cockroach at a time.
29-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Jones.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
29-03-2015, 06:34 PM
(29-03-2015 06:30 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Jones.

I need, I need someone to set a pick for me
At the free-throw line of life, someone I can pass to
Someone to hit the open man on the give-and-go
And not end up in the popcorn machine

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Quote: Law has become what the rich pay for and nobody can make a significant move without paying or becoming a lawyer.

Read Glenn Greewald's "And Justice For Some." You'll love it...or more likely hate it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I was about to post a meme about beating dead horses, but the link ends up being broken.

I take from this that I shouldnt beat dead horses by mocking people who beat dead horses.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
29-03-2015, 07:46 PM
(29-03-2015 07:06 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I was about to post a meme about beating dead horses, but the link ends up being broken.
[Image: dead-horse.gif]
How's this?

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
29-03-2015, 07:58 PM
(29-03-2015 07:46 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 07:06 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I was about to post a meme about beating dead horses, but the link ends up being broken.
[Image: dead-horse.gif]
How's this?

How about this one:

[Image: 8a9.gif]

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
29-03-2015, 08:20 PM
(29-03-2015 07:58 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 07:46 PM)Russ Wrote:  [Image: dead-horse.gif]