Indiana GOP Lawmaker wants journalists fingerprinted, licensed by police

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2017, 10:02 AM
GOP lawmaker drafts bill requiring journalists to register with police

Quote:Indiana State Rep. Jim Lucas has drafted legislation that would require professional journalists to be licensed by police.

The Republican lawmaker is taking aim at journalists for what he says is “irresponsible” coverage, proposing that they are fingerprinted and licensed to practice.

“If you’re OK licensing my Second Amendment right, what’s wrong with licensing your First Amendment right?” he said, according to the Indy Star.

But Lucas said the bill is really about gun rights — Lucas has tried unsuccessfully to repeal an Indiana law that requires a permit to carry a handgun.

The journalist licensing bill, which he said he may file to make a point, is almost identical to the handgun bill. He has been harshly critical of the media’s coverage of the handgun bill.

“If I was as irresponsible with my handgun as the media has been with their keyboard, I’d probably be in jail,” he said. “Why wouldn't I push for it? If one constitutional right is OK to license, then they all are.”

Lucas’s draft legislation comes the same week that President Trump has threatened to revoke the licenses of news networks for unflattering coverage, but Lucas said he originally drafted the bill last year.

“I’m a year ahead of President Trump on this,” he said.

Bolding mine. TL;DR: GOP lawmaker in state of Indiana thinks if he has to have a license to use a gun, then journalists need to be licensed to report the news and go through the same background checks and fingerprinting he does.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-10-2017, 10:07 AM
RE: Indiana GOP Lawmaker wants journalists fingerprinted, licensed by police
Scariest quote in the article, from my POV--because it's probably true:

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
14-10-2017, 10:19 AM
(14-10-2017 10:07 AM)julep Wrote:  Scariest quote in the article, from my POV--because it's probably true:

Agreed, in a way that is far scarier than his tantrum about how he shouldn't need a permit to buy and carry a gun.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2017, 10:20 AM
This is an excellent idea.

If a journalist is found to have written something purposefully fake with the intent to cause confusion, embarrassment, etc then they lose their license. All news reported would have to be REAL news. News from "sources" would have to be on the record with the source identified. No more fake stories from fake sources. Report the truth not rumors. Facts and only the facts.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
14-10-2017, 10:21 AM
There must be something wrong with the water there.
I mean, ... Pence is a fucking moron too.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Orwell would despair at another idiot who think that "1984" is instruction.

Journalists licensed by police? Why stop at this? Why not go full fascist and compile list of topics than press can broach?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 7 users Like Szuchow's post
14-10-2017, 10:26 AM
(14-10-2017 10:20 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This is an excellent idea.

If a journalist is found to have written something purposefully fake with the intent to cause confusion, embarrassment, etc then they lose their license. All news reported would have to be REAL news. News from "sources" would have to be on the record with the source identified. No more fake stories from fake sources. Report the truth not rumors. Facts and only the facts.

Better yet, politicians should need to prove they're honest.

That way, Trump could never have even run for dog-catcher.
Thumbsup
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-10-2017, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2017 08:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)

You really are a simplistic fool.
Most Americans voted against him, and knew he was dishonest.
The fact that you were stupid enough to be taken in by a well-recognized LIAR does not require a remedy for politicians. It's stupid ideological fools like you that were taken in by them, that need a remedy created for their stupid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-10-2017, 10:35 AM
(14-10-2017 10:26 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

Better yet, politicians should need to prove they're honest.

Thumbsup

Trump doesn't lie. He has no reason to lie. All of those fact checkers are pure liberal spin. Sometimes he might be uniformed and says the wrong thing but he's not purposefully telling an untruth.

Liberal journalists on the other hand are so biased that they make up sources and fake stories to embarrass Trump. I think it would be great if a journalist lost their license if they wrote a story that couldn't be verified and was challenged by the facts. If they refused to give up their "source" then the source is obviously fake. Not only should they lose their license to practice journalism, they should be fined $1,000,000 and sentenced to 5 years hard labor.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
14-10-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm somewhat relieved that this was made ironically, to make a point.

Because I've been kinda expecting it.

We are living through a transition akin to the introduction of the printing press which undermined in unforeseen ways the fabric / institutions of society.

'Journalism' is becoming democratised and any moron (or fucking moron) with a YouTube account can set themselves up as an investigative journalist, a journo or a reporter (apply within, no qualifications needed).

In an automated (Industrie 4.0 / Internet of Things) world of the future, who knows what institutions (if any) will remain?

Trump is taking a lead on undermining the notions of integrity, transparency, accountability and fairness. The Governance models we grew up with (with which we grew up) may be worth nothing in the future.

So yes, fake news, real news, rumour and propaganda - who will be able to tell the difference?

Maybe we do need to rethink the institution of journalism.

If the pen really is mightier than the sword (or handgun) perhaps licences aren't such a bad idea.

The trick is to make them accountable to the people... not the police or their corporate parent companies.

And while we are about it, the police should be licensed and accountable to the people too. That would be novel.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post