Indoor Cat VS Outdoor Cat (and anything else cat)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: Indoor Cat VS Outdoor Cat (and anything else cat)
[Image: bizcat_zps287cc339.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
13-02-2014, 05:34 PM
I have a cat. She is an indoor/outdoor kitty when it suits her. She is not fond of snow or cold so during the winter, she is the diva of the back of the couch.

Like children, you can't protect them from everything. I say let her out. Start small - when you are home to let her back in when she's had enough.

That is, so long as she isn't declawed. If declawed, leave her in.

Personally, I'd rather my animals live a full life than a longer boring one. Cats who live indoors do live longer. But for what? So that they can eventually get renal failure due to old age? So that they can't see anymore and are pissing all over the floor? That's no life.

I'm all for freedom, despite the risks.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
13-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Photo RE: Indoor Cat VS Outdoor Cat (and anything else cat)
I have no idea what was going on here:

[Image: cat_rodeo.JPG]

Left to right: Walter J. Smooch (the horsie); the late Gregory Grayscale (the rider); and Caramon, who is trying not to get involved.

My cats are mostly inside cats, but do enjoy a snooze in the garden when the weather is nice. They also have a 24-hour screened enclosure attached to the back of the kitchen, the Cat Gazebo. When they were younger they roamed farther afield, but had an 11 p.m. curfew (which they usually obeyed).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
13-02-2014, 11:58 PM
(24-07-2012 01:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  If the cat is brought up indoor, it would be very dangerous for it to go out when it is already older, mature. I prefer my cats to be outdoor, they have been outdoor since they were born, so they learned the dangers of outside world from the beginning.

Indoor cats should have vasectomy, or that other thing, then they would not be so keen on getting out of the house.

I don't like indoor cats, so unnatural...

When I'm a billionaire, I'm going to create a giant dome terrarium, with a research lab , to breed exotic pets and genetically engineer animals. I will eventually become a "great person" and I will replace all other minor, less successful, bio-engineers in the history books, and be shoved into kid's minds to explain history easier.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man_theory

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
14-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Best cat meme ever

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Atir aissom atir imon
15-02-2014, 12:08 PM
(13-02-2014 05:34 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have a cat. She is an indoor/outdoor kitty when it suits her. She is not fond of snow or cold so during the winter, she is the diva of the back of the couch.

Like children, you can't protect them from everything. I say let her out. Start small - when you are home to let her back in when she's had enough.

That is, so long as she isn't declawed. If declawed, leave her in.

Personally, I'd rather my animals live a full life than a longer boring one. Cats who live indoors do live longer. But for what? So that they can eventually get renal failure due to old age? So that they can't see anymore and are pissing all over the floor? That's no life.

I'm all for freedom, despite the risks.

I had cats when we first moved here to TX, brought them all the way from SC. They had been indoor cats but were on a mission to get outside. I finally let them. One disappeared right away and we could never find him. The other two hung around for a few years. One tended to roam and came home with a bullet in his chest but he survived that and after a while started roaming again. Then he was killed by a coyote and shortly after my cat that stayed close to the house met the same fate.

For that reason, my new kitten will remain inside. He has dogs to chase and parrots to torment and full run of the house (the only animal that does). We have coyotes that come into the front yard so, no, he is staying in here with us.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure what happened but I'm sure it was suitably fluffy

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
17-02-2014, 11:28 AM
(15-02-2014 12:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 05:34 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Like children, you can't protect them from everything. I say let her out. Start small - when you are home to let her back in when she's had enough.

[snip]

I had cats when we first moved here to TX, brought them all the way from SC. They had been indoor cats but were on a mission to get outside. I finally let them. One disappeared right away and we could never find him. The other two hung around for a few years. One tended to roam and came home with a bullet in his chest but he survived that and after a while started roaming again. Then he was killed by a coyote and shortly after my cat that stayed close to the house met the same fate.

For that reason, my new kitten will remain inside. He has dogs to chase and parrots to torment and full run of the house (the only animal that does). We have coyotes that come into the front yard so, no, he is staying in here with us.

I have two cats that are indoor cats, but when the weather is nice (i.e. not rainy or snowing and above about 50 degrees) then I take them out for walks on their leashes. They get to explore the neighborhood, be outside, sniff stuff, try chasing squirrels (until they hit the end of the leash and bounce back to me) and they love it.

In the spring, summer, and fall I take them out every day, usually for at least 30 (on weeknights) to an hour or more (on weekends) except when it's really really hot. (I have to walk them separately because they tend to walk in opposite directions and don't go at the same pace, nor to the same places - one likes the backyard more, one likes the front yard and the park more.)

Here's Riley out on his leash:
[Image: RileyLeash_zps69da8fa2.jpg]

The positive side to this is that they love to go outside and it helps you build a good relationship with the cat and provides them with enriching experiences being outside which giving you the peace of mind that they're not going to get gobbled by a coyote or tangled with a raccoon or run over by a car...

The negative side to this is that they will quickly learn that when the weather is nice they will get to go outside, so if the weather appears nice (it's sunny) but it's too cold or too hot they will get really antsy. Also, you will get begging at doors and/or cats bolting for doors.

I've also found that leash training has made escaped-cat-recovery much easier since they're used to me walking around with them, talking to them, picking them up, etc. so when they escape I can easily walk right up to them and pick them up rather than having to chase them around.

The best tip I ever got was if you want to try walking your cats on a leash DON'T GET THE HARNESS MADE FOR CATS!! It tends to freak them out having something looped over their heads. Instead, get a step-in harness made for small dogs like this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.js...lInUS%2FNo
It's super duper easy; you just lay it on the floor, put the cat's front paws into either loop and then clip it closed over the cat's back. Let them get used to wearing it around the house, gradually increasing the amount of time they wear it, then start attaching a leash, then put it on them and carry them outside, then put it on, take them out and let them walk around your back porch or something, gradually increasing the amount of time they're out... pretty soon they won't care about the harness or the leash, all they'll care about is the fun they'll have when they go outside and will be excited when you get the harness out.

Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Clueless Morgan's post
17-02-2014, 12:56 PM
[Image: catonaleash_zps4258061a.png]

This is kind of the reaction I would expect. Haha!

I would be a walking fool, cause then all three dogs would want to walk instead of free range romping in the yard. Maybe after I get this semester done I can start walking at least one of them every night.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Just because everyone is posting pictures of cats and I found these:

[Image: tumblr_mg0sqdMR3m1rq4uvro1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mg0sqdMR3m1rq4uvro2_500.jpg]

Indoor cats like sushi.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post