"Inductive Bible Study"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2013, 11:30 PM
"Inductive Bible Study"
So one of my super religious friends posted one of her daily bible verse FB posts and her friend mentioned something about how wonderful "Inductive Bible Study" was for understanding the word of God. So I clicked the link and it led me to this ball of confusion.

http://precept.org/about_inductive_bible_study

Feel free to click on the example picture and the video and get familiar with the procedure.

For those of you too lazy to click on a link, here's a summary of the steps for "correct" Bible reading. It involves a lot of blasphemy by scribbling all over your Bible.

Step 1. Begin with prayer - since you are about to try and decipher God's message, it would help to have God within speaking distance to get him to clarify some things.

Step 2. Mark the 5 W's and the H
Step 3. Mark key words and phrases - Steps 2 and 3 are all about focusing on the focal points of the texts. Who said what, where did he say it, what was the point he was making?

Step 4. Make lists
Step 5. Watch for contrasts and comparisons
Step 6. Note expression of time
Step 7. Geographic locations
Step 8. Mark conclusions of the speaker
- These are sound like the same as Step 3. Write down the what, when, and the where, and look for patterns.

Next are the steps for "interpreting" the lessons, aka the changing the texts to better suit your desires. Quoted straight from the site.

Remember that context rules. The word "context" means that which goes with the text. If you lay the solid foundation of observation, you will be prepared to consider each verse in the light of the surrounding verses, the book in which it is found, and the entire Word of God. As you study, ask yourself: Is my interpretation of this passage of Scripture consistent with the theme, purpose, and structure of the book in which it is found? Is it consistent with other Scripture about the same subject? Am I considering the historic and cultural context? Never take a Scripture out of its context to make it say what you want it to say. Discover what the author is saying; don't add to his meaning.

Always seek the full counsel of the Word of God. When you know God's Word thoroughly, you will not accept a teaching simply because someone has used one or two isolated verses to support it. Those verses may have been taken out of context or other scriptures overlooked or ignored that would have led to a different understanding. As you read the Bible more extensively, you will be able to discern whether a teaching is biblical or not. Saturate yourself in the Word of God; it is your safeguard against wrong doctrine.

Remember that Scripture will never contradict Scripture. The best interpretation of Scripture is Scripture. Remember, all Scripture is inspired by God. It is God breathed. Therefore, Scripture will never contradict itself. Sometimes, however, you may find it difficult to reconcile two seemingly contradictory truths taught in Scripture, such as the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. Don't take a teaching to an extreme that God doesn't. Simply humble your heart in faith and believe what God says, even if you can't fully understand or reconcile it at the moment.

Don't base your convictions on an obscure passage of scripture. An obscure passage is one in which the meaning is not easily understood. Because they are difficult to understand they should not be used as a basis for establishing doctrine.

Interpret Scripture literally The Bible is not a book of mysticism. God spoke to us that we might know truth. Therefore, take away the Word of God at face value - in it's natural, normal sense. Look first for the clear teaching of Scripture, not a hidden meaning.

Look for the single meaning of the passage. Always try to understand what the author had in mind when you interpret a portion of the Bible. Don't twist verses to support a meaning that is not clearly taught. Unless the author indicates that there is another meaning to what he says, let the passage speak for itself.

Quote finished, back to me. Now that you know what inductive bible study is, let's discuss it. Personally, I've always had a problem with ANY inductive reasoning, as it tends to jump to conclusions that may or may not be true. Regarding the bible study, it's taking something specific that the Lord said and making a generalization out of it. Which is the kind of thinking that has always pissed me off about people who read the Bible. "And the Lord said, 'I fucking hate Jews and hope they choke on their bagels.'" Inductive reasoning translates that as "do no harm to a fellow neighbor, even if you bear him ill-will."

How can you take the literal teaching, with no looking for "hidden meaning," when you're then following up that literal teaching with a non-literal generalization? "Beat your slave, but don't knock out his eye or his tooth." = "Respect your fellow man and do him no harm that can't be recovered from." That's not the literal teaching. Christians already do this form of thinking, it's the mental tap dancing required to deal with their cognitive dissonance.

Anyways. Just thought I'd share my discovery with you all.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: "Inductive Bible Study"
My "Inductive Reasoning" on the bible:

[Image: deep_orange_bolt.JPG]

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
20-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Good words.

More people should try this, it would likely bring them closer to God.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
20-01-2013, 04:08 AM
(20-01-2013 03:18 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  Good words.

More people should try this, it would likely bring them closer to God.

Did you not see my other post?

Closer to God = Greater chance of seeing his righteous balls = Not a good time

And I agree with your Rep. You're trying too hard.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-01-2013, 04:14 AM
(20-01-2013 04:08 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And I agree with your Rep. You're trying too hard.
I'm sorry that's how you see it, I'm just one man trying to make a difference.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
20-01-2013, 07:12 AM
I'd say that is proof that religion is a sign of mental illness.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
20-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Step "Remember that Scripture Will Never Contradict Scripture" I would say is particularly insidious. Even when your brain registers the contradictions in the Bible (even numerical or genealogical) you'll just tell yourself "I must not understand it properly, because the lord would never contradict himself."

That's how you get trapped believing bullshit for years, even though you know better. It makes you feel guilty to question, you feel like you are doing something wrong. That's what happened to me, until I couldn't take it anymore and gave myself free reign to question all that I wanted. Pretty quickly after that I left the faith.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post
20-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Hmm....scripture never contradicts itself, but take it literally & this is gonna' work HOW?

Dodgy

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
20-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Scripture will never contradict scripture? There are so many contradictions in the bibble (spelling intentional) that if someone believes that, he/she has not actually read it. Interpret scripture literally? Your friend shouldn't be telling men how to study the bibble then because it counsels women to be silent and submit to men. Just more mental gymnastics and cherry picking. More fun with our theist friends.

Godless in the Magnolia State
20-01-2013, 11:39 AM
(20-01-2013 10:33 AM)Percepticon Wrote:  Hmm....scripture never contradicts itself, but take it literally & this is gonna' work HOW?

Dodgy
Only under a very heavy dose of pharmaceuticals, legal and otherwise.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post