Infected sebaceous cyst.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Infected sebaceous cyst.
About four months ago i went to the docs to get a small lump on my back, between my shoulder blades examined. I got told it was just a cyst and there was nothing to worry about. Four weeks ago the lump was getting much bigger and painfull so i went back and was told it was infected and put on antibiotics. I have done two weeks of antibiotics and have just started my third week and the lump is not getting any smaller. The doc on my last visit said it feels softer, which is good, but they cant remove the cyst till the infection is gone.

Im just wondering if anybody has any knowledge on infected cysts, how long i should be taking antibiotics for etc. I am going to the walk in center at the hospital tomorrow for a second opinion.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: Infected sebaceous cyst.
Hopefully Nurse or Bucky or one our other medical people will see this and can give you some answers.

I am kind of surprised they didn't lance it to start with, but that's just me. Lance it and use antibiotics - oral and topical.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
30-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Cheers ang.

The only reason i think they are reluctant to lance it is when i asked at my first doctors visit about having it removed, he said the NHS dont fund small proccedures like that anymore and i would have to go private and pay.

Im thinking it is going to burst eventually if the antibiotics dont sort it out, then it will have to be treated by the doc/hospital anyway.

30-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Yes to second opinion.

Size, location (is your spine an issue?), duration... These are all issues.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
31-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I was eating ravioli when I read this.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
31-12-2014, 12:31 AM
(30-12-2014 11:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Yes to second opinion.

Size, location (is your spine an issue?), duration... These are all issues.

It was larger than a golf ball when i started the anitbiotics. I have a slightly bad posture and where the cyst is (between my shoulder blades, slightly to my right side) is where i presume i put the most pressure when sitting, where my back contacts the chair im sitting in.

Three days ago my heart started to beat quite hard, i counted my pulse and it was 120 bpm and i was resting, told the doc and he says it isnt related (fuck knows what that was about but thought id mention it in case its relevant)

The cyst is sore, feels like its burning around the edges Sad

31-12-2014, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 03:01 AM by gofish!.)
Warning: I'm not a doctor. But...

I'd be highly sceptical of that "NHS don't fund" excuse, because I've caught my local surgery in a lie on that before. A second opinion at a walk in might help.

Also, have you tried NHS Direct yet? If not, may be you should. Contrary to popular belief, I've actually found them useful in a similar situation (i.e. I've wanted second opinion).

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 07:19 AM
An update on this.

Went to the walk in center yesterday and saw the nurse. She refered me to have it lanced which I had done this morning at the hospital. The doc warned me that local anasthetic does not work as effective with infected tissue and because of its size she wanted to do it under general anasthetic. I told her id grin and bear the pain, so she did it under local.... and it fuckin killed.

She hasnt removed the cyst, just drained it and said once it heals and the infections gone then they will remove it. I do wonder why they never took it out there and then but there must be a logical reason why they dont.

01-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Hope you get feeling better soon and get that all taken care of.

Yucky way to ring in the new year though. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 10:35 AM
(01-01-2015 07:19 AM)bemore Wrote:  An update on this.

Went to the walk in center yesterday and saw the nurse. She refered me to have it lanced which I had done this morning at the hospital. The doc warned me that local anasthetic does not work as effective with infected tissue and because of its size she wanted to do it under general anasthetic. I told her id grin and bear the pain, so she did it under local.... and it fuckin killed.

She hasnt removed the cyst, just drained it and said once it heals and the infections gone then they will remove it. I do wonder why they never took it out there and then but there must be a logical reason why they dont.

Cutting it out then and there would flood your bloodstream with the infection. Not a good idea.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user