Infinite Universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Infinite Universe?
I have a question for the astrophysicists amongst us:

One of the primary arguments against an infinite universe is that if it were infinite, it would be filled with light from distant suns (It would be solid light instead of dark). I believe that the big bang created our local universe. What I am wondering is that is it possible that the forces released by the big bang were so incredibly powerful that they prevented light (photons) from these distant stars from entering into our "local" universe?

I realize that this may be a stupid question.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 10:56 AM
RE: Infinite Universe?
(15-01-2015 09:04 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have a question for the astrophysicists amongst us:

One of the primary arguments against an infinite universe is that if it were infinite, it would be filled with light from distant suns (It would be solid light instead of dark). I believe that the big bang created our local universe. What I am wondering is that is it possible that the forces released by the big bang were so incredibly powerful that they prevented light (photons) from these distant stars from entering into our "local" universe?

That seems to assume that light from elsewhere could enter our local universe - that would make our universe not local.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2015, 11:12 AM
(15-01-2015 09:04 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have a question for the astrophysicists amongst us:

Not an astrophysicist, but it would seem if a universe has curved space-time then any light would be within its space-time realm. We wouldn't be able to see anything outside of it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-01-2015, 11:30 AM
If the universe were infinite and traversable, there would be an infinite number of alien lifeforms arriving at your house at all times.

Or something...
15-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Are you asking about Olbers' Paradox?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-01-2015, 11:59 AM
(15-01-2015 11:37 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Are you asking about Olbers' Paradox?

Essentially, he (?) is. But that only holds if we're assuming present observable conditions to extend infinitely in space and time.

And we already know that that's not the case. The observable universe has a horizon and a clear starting point and history.

... this is my signature!
15-01-2015, 01:29 PM
(15-01-2015 11:37 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Are you asking about Olbers' Paradox?

I didn't realize it, but, yes, I am.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
15-01-2015, 01:31 PM
(15-01-2015 10:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  

That seems to assume that light from elsewhere could enter our local universe - that would make our universe not local.

Maybe "local" is not the right term. I meant the universe that we can observe.

15-01-2015, 01:34 PM
(15-01-2015 11:12 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Not an astrophysicist, but it would seem if a universe has curved space-time then any light would be within its space-time realm. We wouldn't be able to see anything outside of it.

Is it possible, then, for other universes to exist outside of our own (within an infinite universe).

15-01-2015, 01:35 PM
(15-01-2015 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If the universe were infinite and traversable, there would be an infinite number of alien lifeforms arriving at your house at all times.

Or something...

That would be true only if it were traversable.