Poll: Am I full of shit?
You're full of shit.
Good Idea, but I still think you're wrong.
I agree with you.
[Show Results]

Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Question Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory
Hello, this is my first post.

I just wanted to talk about a belief that I currently have. I'm not sure if it's rational or something to rationalize my fear of death.

My current belief is similar to reincarnation. However, instead of being reborn in the sense of time moving forward, we would be reborn at any time and place within the omniverse.

The reason I believe this is because-- we're alive right now. Living with a consciousness means that we have evolved in an environment that has caused us to comprehend life.

If Infinite Universe theory is actually true. Then that would mean that there are universes that would be able to sustain life and create consciousness.

If I have any logical fallacies, please let me know. I would love to discuss this more in detail.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2015, 04:58 PM
RE: Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory
Hello! Big Grin

Okay, as an average Joe, I am of the thinking that currently "Multiple universes" is still just an hypothesis. They're proposing that there might be 'Other' realities but currently have no real way to test for them, get to them etc.

Second... your consciousness is irrevocably a product of our current, living brains.

Once the neurons stop (Pending science putting a brain in a jar or going all Neo and shifting 'something', a copy, into a computer) then that's all she wrote, lights out, good night Mr Chips.

Hope you have a great time about the boards. Smile
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
01-08-2015, 04:59 PM
I don't know.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
01-08-2015, 05:07 PM
(01-08-2015 04:58 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

Okay, as an average Joe, I am of the thinking that currently "Multiple universes" is still just an hypothesis.

Hope you have a great time about the boards. Smile

Sorry, you're right.

What I do mean is that we perceive consciousness because we have a brain that can comprehend it. So why can't it be possible that we start up in a new brain that can comprehend consciousness as well.

Also, Thank you Smile
01-08-2015, 05:16 PM
(01-08-2015 03:21 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Hello, this is my first post.

I just wanted to talk about a belief that I currently have. I'm not sure if it's rational or something to rationalize my fear of death.

My current belief is similar to reincarnation. However, instead of being reborn in the sense of time moving forward, we would be reborn at any time and place within the omniverse.

The reason I believe this is because-- we're alive right now. Living with a consciousness means that we have evolved in an environment that has caused us to comprehend life.

If Infinite Universe theory is actually true. Then that would mean that there are universes that would be able to sustain life and create consciousness.

If I have any logical fallacies, please let me know. I would love to discuss this more in detail.

Yeah, and you're in it, and when you die, it's done for you. Until there is evidence, we don't know what dimensions exist in other universes, spacetime included. Your individual consciousness is 100 % dependent on your brain. When it rots, you end. The fact that consciousness evolved here, in no way supports a belief that it somehow continues in any way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
(01-08-2015 03:21 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Hello, this is my first post.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Is "omniverse" the known universe plus any multiverse or preceeding/succeeding universes? By "any time" do you include the possibility of being reborn at an earlier time within our own universe?

Quote:The reason I believe this is because-- we're alive right now. Living with a consciousness means that we have evolved in an environment that has caused us to comprehend life.

OK....

Quote:If Infinite Universe theory is actually true. Then that would mean that there are universes that would be able to sustain life and create consciousness.

Again, you need to clarify what you mean by "infinite universe theory". We have knowledge of one universe and some hypotheses about other universes but they aren't more than speculation at this point. The one universe we know does have the requirements to sustain life and to allow consciousness to exist (the phrasing "be able to" and "create" imply intent which seems like a strange way to put it). It is hard to extrapolate from a single instance when nothing at all is known about other possible examples.

Quote:If I have any logical fallacies, please let me know. I would love to discuss this more in detail.

Contemplating other universes makes great science-fiction but I don't see any reason to believe that they exist. Even if they do, I don't see how it would relate to surviving death or any form of reincarnation. When we die the chemical processes in our bodies stop and the pattern of matter and electrochemical energy breaks up. Everything gets recycled into something else. Even if the exact same set of memories and brain activity formed somehow in some other place and time it wouldn't be the same person, just a copy. It might think it was you but it wouldn't be.

Death is something to avoid as long as possible but not to fear because there will be no "you" to feel or know anything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-08-2015, 05:28 PM
(01-08-2015 05:07 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Sorry, you're right.

What I do mean is that we perceive consciousness because we have a brain that can comprehend it. So why can't it be possible that we start up in a new brain that can comprehend consciousness as well.

Also, Thank you Smile

Well.. one of the reasons is that our brain is the thing generating the consciousness. Not the other way around.

So, no brain no consciousness.

With out a way to 'encode' the consciousness onto/into some other medium again once the neurons stop it's all she wrote.

As for Phillipe Jose Farmer and "To your scattered bodies go" ? Yah, it's a neat sci-fi story.

Much cheers to you and yours.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I Should change the title because this really does not fall under the scientific method and even if it was it should be called hypothesis. However, I don't have any evidence to back up anything I'm saying.

The only thing that is confusing to think about life being so linear, like a line segment on a graph that goes on forever. How can there be an infinite amount of time before and after we die.

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot but I just always had these questions and never could understand it.
01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
(01-08-2015 05:36 PM)Manicon Wrote:  I Should change the title because this really does not fall under the scientific method and even if it was it should be called hypothesis. However, I don't have any evidence to back up anything I'm saying.

The only thing that is confusing to think about life being so linear, like a line segment on a graph that goes on forever. How can there be an infinite amount of time before and after we die.

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot but I just always had these questions and never could understand it.

Well, sir, you're in good company. Tongue
Mark Twain said something like "I was dead for billions of years before I was born and suffered not the slightest inconvenience from it".

But it is a fascinating subject. You might like this series on Nova by Dr. Brian Greene, a cosmologist from Columbia University. I think the second or third hour was on time. He talks about what you seem to be interested in.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fab...osmos.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-08-2015, 05:44 PM
You're right. I didn't mean it like that.

I'm not saying that you will have past memories but instead just live as a different person. maybe reborn isn't a good term. Maybe just born? Just being a different person. Not saying that it is anyway connected to you by "sprit" or a "soul" but more of just starting as any creature that has a consciousness.