Poll: Am I full of shit?
You're full of shit.
Good Idea, but I still think you're wrong.
I agree with you.
[Show Results]

Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2015, 05:46 PM
RE: Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory
(01-08-2015 05:36 PM)Manicon Wrote:  I Should change the title because this really does not fall under the scientific method and even if it was it should be called hypothesis. However, I don't have any evidence to back up anything I'm saying.

Speculation is fine, and even fun. As long as you don't start to convince yourself that you have an answer then it can be a good thing.

Quote:The only thing that is confusing to think about life being so linear, like a line segment on a graph that goes on forever. How can there be an infinite amount of time before and after we die.

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot but I just always had these questions and never could understand it.

Richard Dawkins makes a good point about our having evolved in a "middle world" with objects of a certain range of sizes and time spans of limited length. When we try to venture beyond that we find it hard to comprehend. Infinity is definitely outside normal comprehension and I don't know anybody who never considered similar questions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
(01-08-2015 05:46 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 05:36 PM)Manicon Wrote:  I Should change the title because this really does not fall under the scientific method and even if it was it should be called hypothesis. However, I don't have any evidence to back up anything I'm saying.

Speculation is fine, and even fun. As long as you don't start to convince yourself that you have an answer then it can be a good thing.

Quote:The only thing that is confusing to think about life being so linear, like a line segment on a graph that goes on forever. How can there be an infinite amount of time before and after we die.

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot but I just always had these questions and never could understand it.

Richard Dawkins makes a good point about our having evolved in a "middle world" with objects of a certain range of sizes and time spans of limited length. When we try to venture beyond that we find it hard to comprehend. Infinity is definitely outside normal comprehension and I don't know anybody who never considered similar questions.

Thank you for understanding. I guess it's pointless to put a strong belief in something we can not entirely understand. It's just that it always come to the fallacy of if we can't prove it than it must be true.
02-08-2015, 01:49 AM
(01-08-2015 03:21 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Hello, this is my first post.

I just wanted to talk about a belief that I currently have. I'm not sure if it's rational or something to rationalize my fear of death.

My current belief is similar to reincarnation. However, instead of being reborn in the sense of time moving forward, we would be reborn at any time and place within the omniverse.

The reason I believe this is because-- we're alive right now. Living with a consciousness means that we have evolved in an environment that has caused us to comprehend life.

If Infinite Universe theory is actually true. Then that would mean that there are universes that would be able to sustain life and create consciousness.

If I have any logical fallacies, please let me know. I would love to discuss this more in detail.

The ideas are simply unconnected to each other - your belief doesn't follow any logical structure.

Consciousness occurs in brains. All of the evidence is that without a functioning brain there is no consciousness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2015, 01:51 AM
(01-08-2015 05:44 PM)Manicon Wrote:  You're right. I didn't mean it like that.

I'm not saying that you will have past memories but instead just live as a different person. maybe reborn isn't a good term. Maybe just born? Just being a different person. Not saying that it is anyway connected to you by "sprit" or a "soul" but more of just starting as any creature that has a consciousness.

What is starting as a different person? How does this make any sense?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2015, 05:15 AM
(01-08-2015 05:36 PM)Manicon Wrote:  I Should change the title ...

No need to do that but I'm going to move this thread to the Philosophy section.

Philosophy is not too special in providing answers but it excels at describing, defining and disambiguating questions. I think that's what you are doing.
Keep doing it.
Smile

02-08-2015, 06:44 AM
(02-08-2015 05:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Philosophy is not too special in providing answers but it excels at describing, defining and disambiguating questions. I think that's what you are doing.
Keep doing it.
Smile

I think it should go in the "Oh look, Bucky didn't swear" section. It will be a very small section. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-08-2015, 07:01 AM
I get your idea, sounds like good sci fi, actual reality...
  • how would you test if it was true?
  • why would you even think it could be true, rather than say, that when you die your soul would be eaten by Cthulu?

I think as you said in your OP, it's wishful thinking brought about by a. the desire not to die b. the recognition that current world religions offer extremely implausible mechanisms by which one may continue living after one is dead (an oxymoron, but not to religious people).

Being dead isn't a big deal... it's the living bit that's difficult.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-08-2015, 08:37 AM
No one wants to see the ride come to an end but evidence for the post-mortem preservation of identity has never been shown. Awareness of self is possible because of our physical body/brain, once that dies your self awareness is no longer possible.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-08-2015, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 11:39 AM by Manicon.)
(02-08-2015 05:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Keep doing it.
Smile

Thank you Smile you are absolutely correct! I have no proof of my speculation, so philosophy would be perfect.

Please correct me if I am completely wrong about anything I am saying. I don't want stay ignorant about a topic.

I just keep going back to the lack of understanding the concept of living in a limited time in a seemingly unending timeline.

In mathematical* terms, wouldn't the finite amount of time in a life = 0 in an endless timeline.

*Again could completly wrong, feel free to correct.
02-08-2015, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 11:49 AM by Manicon.)
As a personal side note, I used to have an existential crisis at the age of 10. I used to imagine death as being consciously aware that you are dead for all eternity. That being said, I had to come up with these speculations to rationalize my own mortality.

I'm 22 now.

Plus, the idea of being able to live as an endless amount of people felt cool to me at a young age.
[+] 1 user Likes Manicon's post