Poll: Am I full of shit?
You're full of shit.
Good Idea, but I still think you're wrong.
I agree with you.
[Show Results]

Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 01:31 PM
RE: Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory
(02-08-2015 11:44 AM)Manicon Wrote:  As a personal side note, I used to have an existential crisis at the age of 10. I used to imagine death as being consciously aware that you are dead for all eternity. That being said, I had to come up with these speculations to rationalize my own mortality.

I'm 22 now.

Plus, the idea of being able to live as an endless amount of people felt cool to me at a young age.

At age 10, I didn't even know what ''existential" meant. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM
(01-08-2015 05:44 PM)Manicon Wrote:  You're right. I didn't mean it like that.

I'm not saying that you will have past memories but instead just live as a different person. maybe reborn isn't a good term. Maybe just born? Just being a different person. Not saying that it is anyway connected to you by "sprit" or a "soul" but more of just starting as any creature that has a consciousness.
I'm sorry, but what would be the point in recycling a consciousness.
There is really nothing special about consciousness, it i san emergent property of live, live is an emergent property of biology which is an emergent property of chemistry and evolution.

Energy and matter are recycled because they can never be destroyed but that doesn't carry forward with consciousness.
02-08-2015, 01:54 PM
I don't feel there's any evidence to separate consciousness from our physical brains. Your idea isn't really appealing to me, as it seems to be predicated on our consciousness erasing itself as it passes from brain to brain. If that's true, so what? Some ether transfer of an awareness of some sort doesn't really seem to enrich one's present life, if there's no memory involved.
02-08-2015, 03:24 PM
(02-08-2015 01:54 PM)julep Wrote:  I don't feel there's any evidence to separate consciousness from our physical brains. Your idea isn't really appealing to me, as it seems to be predicated on our consciousness erasing itself as it passes from brain to brain. If that's true, so what? Some ether transfer of an awareness of some sort doesn't really seem to enrich one's present life, if there's no memory involved.

Exactly! lol, there wouldn't be a point. It would be like just living your own life over and over again.

For some reason, I feel more comfort in the thought of having a different life after death. Regardless of having no connection with the present one.

I appreciate all the feedback! Smile I was afraid everyone would just instantly call me an idiot or an insane person.
02-08-2015, 03:28 PM
(02-08-2015 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 11:44 AM)Manicon Wrote:  As a personal side note, I used to have an existential crisis at the age of 10. I used to imagine death as being consciously aware that you are dead for all eternity. That being said, I had to come up with these speculations to rationalize my own mortality.

I'm 22 now.

Plus, the idea of being able to live as an endless amount of people felt cool to me at a young age.

At age 10, I didn't even know what ''existential" meant. Angel

Neither did I! lol, It was just a deep pit of fear in my stomach that hit all at once. Like being punched by the butterflies rather than having them flutter.
02-08-2015, 03:44 PM
(02-08-2015 03:24 PM)Manicon Wrote:  For some reason, I feel more comfort in the thought of having a different life after death. Regardless of having no connection with the present one.

If it is a different life with no connection to a previous one then in what sense is it you?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-08-2015, 03:52 PM
(01-08-2015 05:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your individual consciousness is 100 % dependent on your brain. When it rots, you end. The fact that consciousness evolved here, in no way supports a belief that it somehow continues in any way.

Unless you live on Tralfamadore and know that time is as easily navigable as space. Time is the illusion. "Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Einstein Eulogy for Besso

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-08-2015, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 09:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-08-2015 03:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 05:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your individual consciousness is 100 % dependent on your brain. When it rots, you end. The fact that consciousness evolved here, in no way supports a belief that it somehow continues in any way.

Unless you live on Tralfamadore and know that time is as easily navigable as space. Time is the illusion. "Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Einstein Eulogy for Besso

Yeah, that's what Brian Greene says in his Nova video. He says past, present and future are all real, now. Depending what direction you're moving and how fast. Someone else's "present'' can be either in your past, your present or your future. It's all there, now. Hobo

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
(02-08-2015 04:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 03:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Unless you live on Tralfamadore and know that time is as easily navigable as space. Time is the illusion. "Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Einstein Eulogy for Besso

Yeah, that's what Brian Greene says in his Nova video. He sayS past, present and future are all real, now. Depending what direction you're moving and how fast. someone else's "present' can be either in your past, your present or your future. It's all there, now. Hobo

Could we all be part of the same consciousness?
02-08-2015, 08:59 PM
(02-08-2015 08:37 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Could we all be part of the same consciousness?

Well.. since I don't yet hear 'You' amongst all the other voices in my head.. I'm guessing not...
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post