Poll: Am I full of shit?
You're full of shit.
Good Idea, but I still think you're wrong.
I agree with you.
[Show Results]

Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 09:11 PM
RE: Infinite Universe Afterlife Theory
(02-08-2015 08:37 PM)Manicon Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 04:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, that's what Brian Greene says in his Nova video. He sayS past, present and future are all real, now. Depending what direction you're moving and how fast. someone else's "present' can be either in your past, your present or your future. It's all there, now. Hobo

Could we all be part of the same consciousness?

Ummm, no. Big Grin
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...i-excerpt/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
(02-08-2015 09:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:37 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Could we all be part of the same consciousness?

Ummm, no. Big Grin

Yes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-08-2015, 10:30 PM
(02-08-2015 10:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 09:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ummm, no. Big Grin

Yes.

Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-08-2015, 01:26 AM
(02-08-2015 08:37 PM)Manicon Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 04:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, that's what Brian Greene says in his Nova video. He sayS past, present and future are all real, now. Depending what direction you're moving and how fast. someone else's "present' can be either in your past, your present or your future. It's all there, now. Hobo

Could we all be part of the same consciousness?

It is called block theory of time or eternalism. Basically the past, present, and future all exist and continue to exist. Supposed you died. Your consciousness would not cease to be. Why? Because it exists in the past and the past is every bit valid and real as the present. There is a point in space-time where a 10 year old kid is worrying about what happens when he dies.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
03-08-2015, 06:41 AM

[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
03-08-2015, 10:46 AM
(03-08-2015 01:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:37 PM)Manicon Wrote:  Could we all be part of the same consciousness?

It is called block theory of time or eternalism. Basically the past, present, and future all exist and continue to exist. Supposed you died. Your consciousness would not cease to be. Why? Because it exists in the past and the past is every bit valid and real as the present. There is a point in space-time where a 10 year old kid is worrying about what happens when he dies.

Wow!!! Never knew it was already called something, eternalism... Thank you, he was pretty scared.
03-08-2015, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 10:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-08-2015 01:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

No it's not called "eternalism" except by religious idiots. It was already covered in the video I posted at the beginning of this thread, Blowjob.
You explain how someone in the present dimensions of space-time can have access to another position and direction in space-time, and then maybe it's a worthwhile concept.

03-08-2015, 12:47 PM
(01-08-2015 04:58 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Second... your consciousness is irrevocably a product of our current, living brain.

Hello there ^^

I feel obliged to intervene here because I want people to be open to the possibility that the brain does not produce coubsciousness but rather manifests it in a limited (senses) form. The counsciousness you are a part of is infinite. See for example Dr.John Hagelin explaining transcendental meditation and quantum mechanics.

Let me juice this up by adding that every atom in your brain is actualy recycled in about 1year or a bit more so it cannot be the matter in there that does all the magic ^^,

This leads to the belief that without that matter, counscious awareness could still be there.

Cheers.
03-08-2015, 01:02 PM
(03-08-2015 12:47 PM)hasgclean Wrote:  Hello there ^^

I feel obliged to intervene here because I want people to be open to the possibility that the brain does not produce coubsciousness but rather manifests it in a limited (senses) form.

Keeping an open mind is not the same as being gullible.

Quote:The counsciousness you are a part of is infinite. See for example Dr.John Hagelin explaining transcendental meditation and quantum mechanics.

Whenever anybody links quantum anything to consciousness it is a pretty safe bet that they are just peddling woo. From the wikipedia article on Hagelin: Hagelin believes that his extended version of unified field theory is identified with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's "unified field of consciousness", a view that is rejected by "virtually every theoretical physicist in the world".

Quote:Let me juice this up by adding that every atom in your brain is actualy recycled in about 1year or a bit more so it cannot be the matter in there that does all the magic ^^,

Even if every atom were replaced yearly (and I'd need a citation for that), that doesn't mean that the physical brain can't be the basis for our experience of consciousness. Parts on machines wear out and are replaced all the time but that doesn't mean that the work done by the machine wasn't done by those parts. Replacing the heating element of a toaster doesn't mean that all the toast made before that event was actually browned by the universal toasting fairy.

Quote:This leads to the belief that without that matter, counscious awareness could still be there.

Only if you ignore the actual evidence and accept completely irrelevant arguments like that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-08-2015, 02:16 PM
(03-08-2015 10:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 01:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It is called block theory of time or eternalism. Basically the past, present, and future all exist and continue to exist. Supposed you died. Your consciousness would not cease to be. Why? Because it exists in the past and the past is every bit valid and real as the present. There is a point in space-time where a 10 year old kid is worrying about what happens when he dies.

No it's not called "eternalism" except by religious idiots. It was already covered in the video I posted at the beginning of this thread, Blowjob.
You explain how someone in the present dimensions of space-time can have access to another position and direction in space-time, and then maybe it's a worthwhile concept.

Sorry, I just looked it up and saw that it was a philisophical term. Didn't mean for it to get religious