Infinite Universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 02:06 PM
RE: Infinite Universe?
(15-01-2015 01:34 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 11:12 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Not an astrophysicist, but it would seem if a universe has curved space-time then any light would be within its space-time realm. We wouldn't be able to see anything outside of it.

Is it possible, then, for other universes to exist outside of our own (within an infinite universe).

Yes.

cf. "multiverse" Tongue

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 02:57 PM
(15-01-2015 01:35 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If the universe were infinite and traversable, there would be an infinite number of alien lifeforms arriving at your house at all times.

Or something...

That would be true only if it were traversable.

Yeah. So its either finite; or infinite and there is some unknown law that stops it from being traversed... Which would be really sad.
15-01-2015, 03:03 PM
(15-01-2015 02:57 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 01:35 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  That would be true only if it were traversable.

Yeah. So its either finite; or infinite and there is some unknown law that stops it from being traversed... Which would be really sad.

Sorry. If it had been up to me, I would have created it differently.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
15-01-2015, 04:53 PM
(15-01-2015 10:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 09:04 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have a question for the astrophysicists amongst us:

One of the primary arguments against an infinite universe is that if it were infinite, it would be filled with light from distant suns (It would be solid light instead of dark). I believe that the big bang created our local universe. What I am wondering is that is it possible that the forces released by the big bang were so incredibly powerful that they prevented light (photons) from these distant stars from entering into our "local" universe?

I realize that this may be a stupid question.

That seems to assume that light from elsewhere could enter our local universe - that would make our universe not local.

Look at Hawking's books. Check out "event horizons".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-01-2015, 05:36 AM
(15-01-2015 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 10:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  That seems to assume that light from elsewhere could enter our local universe - that would make our universe not local.

Look at Hawking's books. Check out "event horizons".

This is where my thoughts were going--kind of an "event horizon" in reverse.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
16-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Offtopic: Possible Ranting Corner material, possible wasted space.

I get iritated by how the word/concept of universe is abused. The following is what I deem to be proper descriptions:

The Universe is the totality of spacetime and everything that exists therein.
The part of the universe that we can see, (is) referred to as the observable universe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

So, anything outside our observable universe is still universe, there is nothing outside the universe because the universe encompasses all including “other universes” (which makes absolutely no sense to call it that).

OK, tear me a new one.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-01-2015, 08:30 AM
(16-01-2015 08:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  So, anything outside our observable universe is still universe, there is nothing outside the universe because the universe encompasses all including “other universes” (which makes absolutely no sense to call it that).

When it comes to talking about a possible multiverse I've heard 'universe' used to mean each individual universe and 'cosmos' used to describe the totality of all universes. I don't know that that is common usage but I find it useful since it helps avoid some confusion.

With that, the universe is more than the observable universe but less than the cosmos.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
16-01-2015, 08:57 AM
(16-01-2015 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 08:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  So, anything outside our observable universe is still universe, there is nothing outside the universe because the universe encompasses all including “other universes” (which makes absolutely no sense to call it that).

When it comes to talking about a possible multiverse I've heard 'universe' used to mean each individual universe and 'cosmos' used to describe the totality of all universes. I don't know that that is common usage but I find it useful since it helps avoid some confusion.

With that, the universe is more than the observable universe but less than the cosmos.

This from Wiki:

Broadest definition: reality and probability
See also: Essence–Energies distinction § Distinction between created and uncreated
The broadest definition of the Universe is found in De divisione naturae by the medieval philosopher and theologian Johannes Scotus Eriugena, who defined it as simply everything: everything that is created and everything that is not created.

Definition as reality
See also: Reality and Physics
More customarily, the Universe is defined as everything that exists, (has existed, and will exist).[56] According to our current understanding, the Universe consists of three principles: spacetime, forms of energy, including momentum and matter, and the physical laws that relate them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-01-2015, 09:48 AM
(15-01-2015 09:04 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have a question for the astrophysicists amongst us:

One of the primary arguments against an infinite universe is that if it were infinite, it would be filled with light from distant suns (It would be solid light instead of dark). I believe that the big bang created our local universe. What I am wondering is that is it possible that the forces released by the big bang were so incredibly powerful that they prevented light (photons) from these distant stars from entering into our "local" universe?

I realize that this may be a stupid question.

The universe may or may not be infinite, that's unknown.... What is known is that the speed of light is finite and constant. And so we can use the speed of light as a cosmic yard stick.

The universe is about 13.8 billion years old, so it is impossible for us to see galaxies beyond 13.8 billion lightyears. Because, light from any galaxies beyond this "light horizon" will not have had time to reach us.

This is what's referred to as the Observable Universe... What is beyond our light horizon is completely unknown.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2015, 10:05 AM
(15-01-2015 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Look at Hawking's books. Check out "event horizons".

This. Light from an object currently about 14 billion parsecs from us will never get here no matter how much time passes because at that distance the space between two objects is increasing at a rate that exceeds the speed of light due to the expansion of the universe.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post