Infinite Universe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 12:41 PM by Free.)
RE: Infinite Universe?
If the universe is infinite, we could never know it. There would be no way to verify it because we would always be looking for it and never find it.

Currently, the "observable" universe appears to be finite, but that is only because we have not been able to see anything past what is observable yet, assuming it isn't finite or there is something more than what we can currently observe.

I suspect that as time goes by and newer and greater observational technologies are created, the age of the observable universe will continue to increase.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 10:59 PM
(18-01-2015 11:22 AM)Free Wrote:  If the universe is infinite, we could never know it. There would be no way to verify it because we would always be looking for it and never find it.

Currently, the "observable" universe appears to be finite, but that is only because we have not been able to see anything past what is observable yet, assuming it isn't finite or there is something more than what we can currently observe.

I suspect that as time goes by and newer and greater observational technologies are created, the age of the observable universe will continue to increase.

Absolutely true that we will never know if the universe is infinite, but considering it as a possibility--our own universe as only one of multiverses--effectively turns the theist "something from nothing" argument into a straw man. Possibility is an entirely different concern than Probability.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
23-01-2015, 08:53 AM
I've been reading Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" -- and I find the concept of an infinite universe just as confusing as a finite one.

Either way -- it's awful goddamned big.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Just be glad you're not paying the taxes on it. Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 09:42 AM
(18-01-2015 11:22 AM)Free Wrote:  If the universe is infinite, we could never know it. There would be no way to verify it because we would always be looking for it and never find it.

Agree. Also we don't know it's basic geometry. If it's "curved" in any way, it could be finite yet we would still never be able to know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post