Ingeniously delusional

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Ingeniously delusional
I invented a new term to describe some of the theists that troll this forum, it's ingeniously delusional. This is usually displayed by creationists, they have to use bizarre methods to prop up their ridiculous myth. For example, using an obscure Hebrew interpretation of the word "day" to mean era, this creates an opening in their beloved myth that they drive a truck through. Now their creation myth describes several eras or epochs of creation where that embarrassing 6,000 year old Earth idea can be put to rest and made to co-oincide with science.

However, they usually stop short of applying science to the origin of species. So they'll cut and paste the science they like or don't like, then use obscure definitions to put it in the bible or remove it. What they've done is created their own alternate reality based on increasingly complex explanations for their world view and increasingly complex modifications of their bible.

This is a process where they are changing their beliefs to make more rational sense while refusing to acknowledge that they are deluding themselves.

From the outside, I think most of us can recognize this as cognitive dissonance, I suppose I just find the psychology of it fascinating as I did this to myself with a belief in old-earth creationism for many years. It amazes me how we can come up with ever-increasing complexity to prop up a belief we hold and we don't see the house of cards that we're constructing for ourselves.

This is one of the reasons I believe that it is the educated fundamentalist mindset that has the greatest potential to deconvert. They create such a bizarre world view, that if that same mental process they used to construct their ingenious delusion suddenly brings up an internal conflict that they don't dismiss, then the house of cards will fall.

An example of this in the forums:

Help to debunk Evolution's Achilles Heels

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...his-or-not

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
RE: Ingeniously delusional
Consider

Methinks you flatter them.

Surely ... ingenuous rather than ingenious.

Although dis-ingenuous would be more accurate, would it not?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-12-2014, 07:47 AM
(04-12-2014 06:52 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I invented a new term to describe some of the theists that troll this forum, it's ingeniously delusional.

More like cunningly delusional... or cunnilusional for short

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
04-12-2014, 07:54 AM
(04-12-2014 07:43 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

Methinks you flatter them.

Surely ... ingenuous rather than ingenious.

Although dis-ingenuous would be more accurate, would it not?

Haha! Yeah the term has intentional irony in it.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
(04-12-2014 07:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 06:52 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I invented a new term to describe some of the theists that troll this forum, it's ingeniously delusional.

More like cunningly delusional... or cunnilusional for short

That's a good term too. Thumbsup