Inheritability of Sin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 02:59 PM by Phaedrus.)
Inheritability of Sin
This one is for the Christians.

My great great grandfather was an asshole. He was a Danish Army deserter, a drunk, and a womanizer. He managed to knock-up the daughter of a minor Danish noble, causing her to be disowned. When she confronted him he refused to care for the child, and went off to drink and play for five years, leaving it to his family to care for the girl and her child. That child was my great grandfather. My great great grandfather finally got arrested in Germany for something or other and the family bailed him out, and held a shotgun wedding to set things right in their eyes. The story ends there, but I think it's safe to assume the marriage was not a happy one. My great great grandfather died in his 50s of liver failure.

Now since then my family has been extremely respectable. My great grandfather became a doctor (one of the family professions, alongside law and music) and immigrated to America in the 20s with his family, where he served as a camp doctor for the CCC during the Great Depression. My grandfather also became a doctor and served as a US Army surgeon during WWII, then served in the Public Health Service for 35 years. My father initially studied archaeology, but then went into computer programming and eventually became a high level manager and consultant.

So here's my question. Do the wrongdoings of my great great grandfather diminish the accomplishments of my grandfather and great grandfather? Does it reflect poorly upon me as a person? If I went to Denmark, would it be reasonable for the Danish police to arrest me for my ancestor's desertion of military duties? Would it be reasonable for me to have a criminal record in Germany for my ancestor's drunken crimes there?

If not, why not?

And if not, why should I be held culpable for the actions of two naked people of highly dubious historicity in a garden 6000 years ago? Why do you or I need forgiveness for their crimes? How is that in any way just or merciful?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Phaedrus's post
26-09-2012, 03:48 PM
RE: Inheritability of Sin
I once had a pet cat named Cookie.

When Cookie was a kitten, I laid out a dish full of raw fish and told Cookie not to eat it. When I came home from work, Cookie had eaten the fish. I condemned Cookie and threw her punk ass outside. Ever since then, when I've adopted a cat I've demanded its undying loyalty. The good ones get to sleep on my pillow. The bad ones get a spin in the microwave.

After a while, I realized that the only way to show my true love for cats was to sunburn myself and then wear a wool sweater for three days. I did this exact thing, suffering horrible physical pain and discomfort, and afterwards I was able to forgive all the cats, including Cookie, for their transgressions which included loving fish, puking hairballs, and licking their butts, all actions I specifically forbade them to. Of course, future cats who didn't believe I was their master still got a spin in the microwave. This included cats I didn't actually own, cats that lived halfway across the world, and cats that lived with other owners.

Eventually, I'm going to return wearing my wool sweater, scoop up all the good little cats, and give them all a huge prize.

I hope this little story clarifies things.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 8 users Like guitar_nut's post
26-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Your great great Grandfather sounds like a bit of a legend to me. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
26-09-2012, 03:55 PM
(26-09-2012 03:52 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Your great great Grandfather sounds like a bit of a legend to me. Tongue

In the good way, or the "not a real person" way? Because we actually did not find out about this until about eight years ago because the family hid the facts at the time out of shame, and my great grandfather changed his name when he moved to America. But we all went on a trip to Denmark a few years back and my grandfather actually traced the genealogy at the family's old church and got details from old friends of the family.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
26-09-2012, 03:56 PM
(26-09-2012 03:55 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 03:52 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Your great great Grandfather sounds like a bit of a legend to me. Tongue

In the good way, or the "not a real person" way? Because we actually did not find out about this until about eight years ago because the family hid the facts at the time out of shame, and my great grandfather changed his name when he moved to America.

I think he meant it in a wise-ass kind of way. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2012, 03:57 PM
(26-09-2012 03:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 03:55 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  In the good way, or the "not a real person" way? Because we actually did not find out about this until about eight years ago because the family hid the facts at the time out of shame, and my great grandfather changed his name when he moved to America.

I think he meant it in a wise-ass kind of way. Drinking Beverage

Ah.

Where's that drinking Scotch smiley?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
26-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I meant in a good way... I would happily have sat down an had a pint with him. Big Grin

I'm sure he would have some wonderful stories.

[Image: opforum1.png]
26-09-2012, 04:03 PM
He probably would lol

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
26-09-2012, 07:13 PM
(26-09-2012 04:02 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I meant in a good way... I would happily have sat down an had a pint with him. Big Grin

I'm sure he would have some wonderful stories.

Because knocking some girl up who is then outcast because of your actions and then having nothing to do with her or your baby is a legend in your eyes?

Sounds like a right fucking prick if you ask me.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Because you didn't inherit sin from two naked people in a garden 6000 years ago.

God created sin and created you to sin.

/shrug

Just my Christian opinion.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]