Injectable oxygen!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Injectable oxygen!
I'm not sure how this escaped my attention. Last year, a team at Boston's Children Hospital created an injection that provides 15 to 30 minutes of oxygen at near normal levels without using the lungs. It is comprised of oxygen gas suspended in a lipid solution. This has so many real world applications. For example, heavy diving tanks could be replaced by a small container of the solution.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-in...-breathing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
17-07-2013, 12:49 PM
RE: Injectable oxygen!
or you know... saving peoples life and stuff Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
17-07-2013, 12:51 PM
(17-07-2013 12:49 PM)nach_in Wrote:  or you know... saving peoples life and stuff Tongue

It's designed for patients with little or no lung function. I'm talking about outside of the medical field.
17-07-2013, 01:05 PM
(17-07-2013 12:51 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:49 PM)nach_in Wrote:  or you know... saving peoples life and stuff Tongue

It's designed for patients with little or no lung function. I'm talking about outside of the medical field.

of course you are, I was... nevermind

what about astronauts? I'm sure that gas air is harder to handle in outer space... This could help a lot Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
17-07-2013, 01:16 PM
(17-07-2013 01:05 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:51 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's designed for patients with little or no lung function. I'm talking about outside of the medical field.

of course you are, I was... nevermind

what about astronauts? I'm sure that gas air is harder to handle in outer space... This could help a lot Big Grin

I believe the space suits weigh upwards of 300 pounds. I imagine replacing the oxygen reserves with the solution would cut the weight down quite a bit.
17-07-2013, 01:49 PM
(17-07-2013 01:16 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 01:05 PM)nach_in Wrote:  of course you are, I was... nevermind

I believe the space suits weigh upwards of 300 pounds. I imagine replacing the oxygen reserves with the solution would cut the weight down quite a bit.

Granted weight is not a problem in space, on a planet however it could be a big help, Mars for instance. This could also be a big help to firefighters, those Oxygen tanks can explode so liquid might be safer.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Why would it cut the weight down? That makes no sense... Its oxygen + fats...

Its a nice delivery system for patients without lung function, but its still gotta be less efficient than tanks of oxygen and some kind of recycling system.

Also, the oxygen would likely be delivered at a certain rate, which might not allow for strenuous activity
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
17-07-2013, 04:00 PM
(17-07-2013 12:06 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm not sure how this escaped my attention. Last year, a team at Boston's Children Hospital created an injection that provides 15 to 30 minutes of oxygen at near normal levels without using the lungs. It is comprised of oxygen gas suspended in a lipid solution. This has so many real world applications. For example, heavy diving tanks could be replaced by a small container of the solution.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-in...-breathing

So they don't need to breathe? Like at all? Just inject some O2 and all's well?

Kinda cool.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 04:19 PM
(17-07-2013 03:39 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Why would it cut the weight down? That makes no sense... Its oxygen + fats...

Its a nice delivery system for patients without lung function, but its still gotta be less efficient than tanks of oxygen and some kind of recycling system.

Also, the oxygen would likely be delivered at a certain rate, which might not allow for strenuous activity

I'm talking about the weight of oxygen tanks. As of the writing of the article, they were still in the testing phase. It will obviously be a long time before it becomes common in hospitals. By that time, they may find a way to prolong the dosage, which would allow for strenuous activity.

(17-07-2013 04:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So they don't need to breathe? Like at all? Just inject some O2 and all's well?

Kinda cool.

That's what it appears to be.
17-07-2013, 05:12 PM
(17-07-2013 03:39 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Why would it cut the weight down? That makes no sense... Its oxygen + fats...

The weight of high-pressure tanks and valves?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]