Injectable oxygen!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 05:49 PM
RE: Injectable oxygen!
(17-07-2013 05:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 03:39 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Why would it cut the weight down? That makes no sense... Its oxygen + fats...

Its a nice delivery system for patients without lung function, but its still gotta be less efficient than tanks of oxygen and some kind of recycling system.

Also, the oxygen would likely be delivered at a certain rate, which might not allow for strenuous activity

The weight of high-pressure tanks and valves?

Yup... Tanks, valves, and recycling machinery... All heavy stuff.

But its all oxygen, compressed in high volume, and the ability to recycle it... Over uncompressed oxygen molecules bound to fats, in a container of some type. I'm sure in larger quantities its still significantly better to use tanks. They will hold significantly more, and for significantly longer. There are times when the injected version will be better, but it won't be in a long term, large scale habitat.

Of course, when the tech is ready, there will be ways to easily calculate which method will be best for the application.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 06:13 PM
(17-07-2013 12:06 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm not sure how this escaped my attention. Last year, a team at Boston's Children Hospital created an injection that provides 15 to 30 minutes of oxygen at near normal levels without using the lungs. It is comprised of oxygen gas suspended in a lipid solution. This has so many real world applications. For example, heavy diving tanks could be replaced by a small container of the solution.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-in...-breathing

Interesting....but how do they scrub CO2 from the blood while the patient is not breathing?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-07-2013, 07:31 PM
(17-07-2013 06:13 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Interesting....but how do they scrub CO2 from the blood while the patient is not breathing?

I don't know. I'm trying to track down a copy of the original paper. I haven't had any luck finding it via my school's online journal subscriptions. I'll probably just request it through the school library.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2013, 07:37 PM
(17-07-2013 06:13 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 12:06 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm not sure how this escaped my attention. Last year, a team at Boston's Children Hospital created an injection that provides 15 to 30 minutes of oxygen at near normal levels without using the lungs. It is comprised of oxygen gas suspended in a lipid solution. This has so many real world applications. For example, heavy diving tanks could be replaced by a small container of the solution.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-in...-breathing

Interesting....but how do they scrub CO2 from the blood while the patient is not breathing?

maybe you just exhale...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
17-07-2013, 07:47 PM
(17-07-2013 07:37 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 06:13 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Interesting....but how do they scrub CO2 from the blood while the patient is not breathing?

maybe you just exhale...

Well if the lungs aren't working to inhale, it onlynseems reasonable to think you could not exhale as well.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
17-07-2013, 08:20 PM
(17-07-2013 07:47 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 07:37 PM)nach_in Wrote:  maybe you just exhale...

Well if the lungs aren't working to inhale, it onlynseems reasonable to think you could not exhale as well.

oh, right... farts? I just realized I know really little on how the body handle gasses

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
17-07-2013, 08:36 PM
(17-07-2013 07:47 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 07:37 PM)nach_in Wrote:  maybe you just exhale...

Maybe CO2 cleansing is why the short duration.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-07-2013, 09:43 PM
People with emphysema have that issue. The medical treatment that prolongs their lives is delivering extra oxygen for breathing. They dont have enough lung surface area to scrub the co2 from their blood. It causes all sorts of health issues.

Our red blood cells dont do a good job. They dont carry much oxygen at all. Plenty of creatures have done better than us in this regard.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss