Inquiring on the thinking of radical sports fans.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Question Inquiring on the thinking of radical sports fans.
There are some cultures where people get over zealous about certain sporting events. If they see someone wearing an opposing teams jersey, they curse them, or throw things at them, or even beat them. Now, what's universal about these people is that they're usually very very drunk.

Questions: If you are one of these people, or know people like this, please take a stab at answering.

1. What does a sports team or player need in order for you to become a "passionate fan"?
2. What is it specifically about fans of an opposing team that offends you?
3. Why is alcohol the choice drink? Instead of say water, or soda, etc.
4. How would your previous answers change if you were suddenly part of a fandom that was the minority in a crowd? The vast majority?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Inquiring on the thinking of radical sports fans.
I don't think alcohol is always necessary, it's just a catalyst for stupid.

1) Be a good team while you are starting out in the sport. Be a local team. Be a team your family supports. Kind of like a successful religion really.
2) If they play dirty or have in the past.
3) Alcohol makes things more interesting.
4) I'm always I'm the minority in the NE as a 49ers fan so I try to never be obnoxious. If I were I'm the majority, I'd act the same.

Evolve
20-01-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 04:33 PM by Vera.)
Yet another manifestation of the us-or-them mentality and the desire of those who lack individuality to be part of a a group. Also, it's a sort of a peacetime war. Teams and specific players aren't important, just about anyone would do.

Yeah, I know that wasn't what you asked exactly (or possibly even remotely).

EDIT: Before someone gets offended, I was talking about radical fans, as per the title.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
20-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Personally I'm baffled by any kind of sports fan. I don't particularly find sports entertaining, and I don't see how someone selects a favorite team or player aside from geographical location in relation to the fan, even then I don't really get it. I'm not condemning sports fans, I just don't get what's so entertaining about it.

20-01-2013, 04:33 PM
What Vera said. I always figured it was just another type of tribalism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
20-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I've always thought it a bit like religion. Once you think about it, it starts to fall apart.

Let's say you've been an avid fan of Team X for 20 years.

That team no longer has any of the players, probably has different coaches, and may well have a different owner than it did 20 years ago.

How is it even the same team? What, then, are you a fan of?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I enjoy watching one on one sports, like tennis... or MMA. Tongue
Even then, I don't go out of my way to watch it. I'll simply pay attention to it if it is on in the pub.

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-01-2013, 04:44 PM
It's not so much a loyalty to particular players and/or coaches but the group itself. I root for other teams too. Just not over my preferred team.

Evolve
20-01-2013, 06:32 PM
It's tribalism and group-bias in action. One of my Psychology professors dedicated the greater portion of an hour talking about sports fans in particular and how sporting events are great places to study how human beings have a tendancy to form factions and become devoted to their particular group. It's a fascinating thing, really. It shows just how animalistic and unevolved the Human race really is.

Personally, though, I've never understood the appeal of sports themselves - let alone been inspired to join a side and oppose the other. Sports seem to just be a bunch of guys, dressed in spandex and tackling each other while they try to grab the other team's balls.

Little too fruity for me. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!