Insect With Mechanical Gears

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Insect With Mechanical Gears
The small hopping insect Issus coleoptratus uses a locomotive gear mechanism on its leg joints to precisely synchronize the kicks of its hind legs as it jumps forward.

This Insect Has the Only Mechanical Gears Ever Found in Nature

This raises an interesting question both for creationists who'll undoubtedly claim this proves their theory of an intelligent designer, and we atheists who interpret it as proof of the evolutionary processes. Why would a designer-god provide this unique biological mechanism for a 3mm-long leaf-hopping insect whose only purpose is to provide feed for birds and spiders? Surely he/she would utilise this sort of sophisticated mechanism for the benefit or survival factor of his/her highest functioning creation; homo sapiens?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
29-12-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Insect With Mechanical Gears
Way to go, issus coleoptratus. I bow down to your mysterious ways of locomotion. Bowing
[Image: 2wefktw.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
29-12-2015, 01:25 PM
The legs in the picture look like the pedal crank on a bicycle.
29-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting that.

“We usually think of gears as something that we see in human designed machinery, but we’ve found that that is only because we didn’t look hard enough,” Sutton said. “These gears are not designed; they are evolved—representing high speed and precision machinery evolved for synchronisation in the animal world.”

I fucking love science!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
30-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I don't think so....

I've been a gear-head for years....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-12-2015, 10:22 AM
(29-12-2015 10:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Surely he/she would utilise this sort of sophisticated mechanism for the benefit or survival factor of his/her highest functioning creation; homo sapiens?

Why should he give us a mechanism like this? We have been able to get along fine without it.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2015, 10:30 AM
(30-12-2015 10:22 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 10:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Surely he/she would utilise this sort of sophisticated mechanism for the benefit or survival factor of his/her highest functioning creation; homo sapiens?

Why should he give us a mechanism like this? We have been able to get along fine without it.

Because he could have designed us to get along better because isn't he perfect and capable of anything?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
30-12-2015, 12:08 PM
(30-12-2015 10:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 10:22 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Why should he give us a mechanism like this? We have been able to get along fine without it.

Because he could have designed us to get along better because isn't he perfect and capable of anything?

Our knees would be a whole lot better geared. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-12-2015, 12:14 PM
The gear teeth don't even follow a mathematically precise involute curve. You can see from the video that there's quite a bit of backlash as the gear teeth engage. A god could have done better. #NatureFail

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
31-12-2015, 08:28 AM
(29-12-2015 10:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The small hopping insect Issus coleoptratus uses a locomotive gear mechanism on its leg joints to precisely synchronize the kicks of its hind legs as it jumps forward.

This Insect Has the Only Mechanical Gears Ever Found in Nature

This raises an interesting question both for creationists who'll undoubtedly claim this proves their theory of an intelligent designer, and we atheists who interpret it as proof of the evolutionary processes. Why would a designer-god provide this unique biological mechanism for a 3mm-long leaf-hopping insect whose only purpose is to provide feed for birds and spiders? Surely he/she would utilise this sort of sophisticated mechanism for the benefit or survival factor of his/her highest functioning creation; homo sapiens?

Yes, that's all you need to say to debunk this claim.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick