Insecurity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 12:24 PM
RE: Insecurity
(28-05-2016 12:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I post from my cellphone. I probably have eight pages open I've intended to post on the past several weeks. I'm in the middle of a new job, moving, life drama, etc or I would have been more interactive with you and been like "SUP DEBNA! Welcome!"

Some people are grammar nazis. There is a smilie on the left hand side of your response screen with an eye roll Thumbsup Thet being said, most of the grammar errors are pointed out in the debate section where the gloves are off. I have a tendency to use conversational English. I don't like to be all formal and shit. If somebody is bothered by it, well, I don't care. Oh! Thanks to this site I now know the proper usage of its and it's. Big Grin

Self esteem tips - repeat after me "I'm awesome. If others can't see it, their loss. They can go fuck themselves." Yes, I tell myself this.

Just be yourself, be real. I love the personalities in this place. We all come from VERY different walks of life. We each bring a different perspective to this place. I don't know much about formal philosophy - I'm not going to act like an expert on the topic BUt if I have something to say, I add in my two cents (usually it's just ridiculous humor when it comes to the subject). Add your perspective- it's (see - used it correctly, personal growth right there) what makes this place beautiful! Heart

Thanks for this! I don't generally have a problem with grammar and such, it's more the actual content of what I'm posting that I'm worried about. I think I'm going to follow your advice (along with what a few others have also said) and stick to the more casual/nonconfrontational sections/topics until I build a little more confidence to enter the more intense sections, since I definitely have an interest in the topics that are discussed there and would like to be a part of that eventually.

As for the self-esteem bit, that's exactly the life philosophy that I've been trying to adopt lately. Putting it into practice can get really difficult though, at least some of the time. I'm hoping I can increasingly build a sense of self-worth so those difficulties become less problematic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like debna27's post
28-05-2016, 12:28 PM
(28-05-2016 12:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Some people are grammar nazis. There is a smilie on the left hand side of your response screen with an eye roll Thumbsup Thet being said, most of the grammar errors are pointed out in the debate section where the gloves are off. I have a tendency to use conversational English. I don't like to be all formal and shit. If somebody is bothered by it, well, I don't care. Oh! Thanks to this site I now know the proper usage of its and it's. Big Grin

I am a grammar nazi and I would note that you misspelled, "That" in the second line above. I do, "like to be all formal and shit," and I often wear a suit when I read and post. Sometimes I even wear a tuxedo. But nurse, I do love you and I hate it when you go for a long time without posting.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
28-05-2016, 12:33 PM
(28-05-2016 12:28 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 12:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Some people are grammar nazis. There is a smilie on the left hand side of your response screen with an eye roll Thumbsup Thet being said, most of the grammar errors are pointed out in the debate section where the gloves are off. I have a tendency to use conversational English. I don't like to be all formal and shit. If somebody is bothered by it, well, I don't care. Oh! Thanks to this site I now know the proper usage of its and it's. Big Grin

I am a grammar nazi and I would note that you misspelled, "That" in the second line above. I do, "like to be all formal and shit," and I often wear a suit when I read and post. Sometimes I even wear a tuxedo. But nurse, I do love you and I hate it when you go for a long time without posting.

*Nurse

[Image: 79a.gif]

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
28-05-2016, 12:44 PM
(28-05-2016 12:28 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  

Meh. 'Twas a mere typo. Drinking Beverage My truest offenses were the run on sentences and missed commas. Laughat I would have red penned the crap out of my post had it been on paper. Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
28-05-2016, 01:52 PM
I enjoy reading what you post.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
28-05-2016, 03:53 PM
(27-05-2016 11:53 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I don't even know how to write this, because I'm not really sure why I'm writing.

[snip]

But if anybody has any resources that they think would be helpful, or can share any similar experiences, I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Hey Debna... I've always enjoyed whatever you post, and I can honestly say I've never been aware of any of your comments being made thoughtlessly or foolishly. In fact, you seem more then articulate enough to participate in each and every one of these forums (and I apologise for maybe sounding patronising).

If you're sometimes unsure of what you've written in a response, maybe paste it into a Word document that you can post later, with or without editing—if you wanna change your mind, or have second thoughts. And there's really no such thing as stupid or worthless or ignorant posts; all comments are worthy of consideration, even if you sometimes disagree with their content. And all posters are worthy of respect, regardless of whether they're Christian, Jewish, Wiccan, atheist, or even Jedi.

Ultimately Debna, (and I know it can be difficult) you should feel free to post whatever you like, and stuff everybody else LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
28-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Debna.

I always enjoy your posts. You have never appeared foolish in any way.

You among others keep me company. I wish unsapien would post more. More company for me.

So many here with great things to say such as yourself, LadyDay and others worry and yet a dullard such as I post crap all the time and people are patient!

You have much to say and I am fascinated.

Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
28-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Debna,
I really enjoy reading when you do post!Smile I hope that you continue to do so. I feel like I am getting to know you just a little bit. It is a great feeling.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
28-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I'll parrot what a few other people have already said, I haven't seen you post anything that was objectionable in any way.

Don't sweat the content. Much of what gets posted here is banal one-liners and silliness. And a lot of what makes a good post is unpredictable. Either that or I'm garbage at predicting it. I can write big long TL;DR walls of text full of content and that get's a couple of "likes" now and then. Then one day I posted a brief haiku and was astounded when a couple of different posters up-repped me for it. Poetry simply isn't my strong suit. Rather the opposite if anything. Go figure.

What makes for a truly unpleasant post isn't something that I think you will ever have a problem with. It's the people who either can't or won't think. The theo-trolls repeating their mantras of "Where do you get your morals?" and a few regulars who have very entrenched thinking. Right out of the gate you know that there's little point in replying to them because nothing you say will ever be considered. Some of those people are relatively intelligent, they simply have inflexible minds. If anything, the fact that they are experienced and can think well but choose not to makes it that much worse. As I've said above, this isn't something I've seen the slightest hint of in you.

The "middle" of the forum, aka "The Heavy Stuff" can get heated and sometimes even nasty. Don't let that daunt you. Posting there is more about how you behave than what you know. Again, not something that I suspect you will have the least difficulty with. The one section that I largely avoid is the "Politics" section, partly because it gets very ugly and partly because nobody ever does Canadian politics.

But keep posting. It's refreshing to have some new perspectives around here.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-05-2016, 07:38 PM
(28-05-2016 08:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can think of only maybe two people who have never confused it's for its or your for you're and I ain't one of those two.

Witch to?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post