Insecurity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 08:09 PM
RE: Insecurity
(28-05-2016 07:38 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can think of only maybe two people who have never confused it's for its or your for you're and I ain't one of those two.

Witch to?

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=110776&d=1396960946]

@Debna, regarding insecurity...

How self-confident does one have to be to use an actual picture of themselves as their avatar?

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
28-05-2016, 08:11 PM
(28-05-2016 07:35 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'll parrot what a few other people have already said, I haven't seen you post anything that was objectionable in any way.

Don't sweat the content. Much of what gets posted here is banal one-liners and silliness. And a lot of what makes a good post is unpredictable. Either that or I'm garbage at predicting it. I can write big long TL;DR walls of text full of content and that get's a couple of "likes" now and then. Then one day I posted a brief haiku and was astounded when a couple of different posters up-repped me for it. Poetry simply isn't my strong suit. Rather the opposite if anything. Go figure.

What makes for a truly unpleasant post isn't something that I think you will ever have a problem with. It's the people who either can't or won't think. The theo-trolls repeating their mantras of "Where do you get your morals?" and a few regulars who have very entrenched thinking. Right out of the gate you know that there's little point in replying to them because nothing you say will ever be considered. Some of those people are relatively intelligent, they simply have inflexible minds. If anything, the fact that they are experienced and can think well but choose not to makes it that much worse. As I've said above, this isn't something I've seen the slightest hint of in you.

The "middle" of the forum, aka "The Heavy Stuff" can get heated and sometimes even nasty. Don't let that daunt you. Posting there is more about how you behave than what you know. Again, not something that I suspect you will have the least difficulty with. The one section that I largely avoid is the "Politics" section, partly because it gets very ugly and partly because nobody ever does Canadian politics.

But keep posting. It's refreshing to have some new perspectives around here.
Canada has politics? Laughat

*runs and hides*

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
28-05-2016, 08:15 PM
(28-05-2016 08:11 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 07:35 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'll parrot what a few other people have already said, I haven't seen you post anything that was objectionable in any way.

Don't sweat the content. Much of what gets posted here is banal one-liners and silliness. And a lot of what makes a good post is unpredictable. Either that or I'm garbage at predicting it. I can write big long TL;DR walls of text full of content and that get's a couple of "likes" now and then. Then one day I posted a brief haiku and was astounded when a couple of different posters up-repped me for it. Poetry simply isn't my strong suit. Rather the opposite if anything. Go figure.

What makes for a truly unpleasant post isn't something that I think you will ever have a problem with. It's the people who either can't or won't think. The theo-trolls repeating their mantras of "Where do you get your morals?" and a few regulars who have very entrenched thinking. Right out of the gate you know that there's little point in replying to them because nothing you say will ever be considered. Some of those people are relatively intelligent, they simply have inflexible minds. If anything, the fact that they are experienced and can think well but choose not to makes it that much worse. As I've said above, this isn't something I've seen the slightest hint of in you.

The "middle" of the forum, aka "The Heavy Stuff" can get heated and sometimes even nasty. Don't let that daunt you. Posting there is more about how you behave than what you know. Again, not something that I suspect you will have the least difficulty with. The one section that I largely avoid is the "Politics" section, partly because it gets very ugly and partly because nobody ever does Canadian politics.

*runs and hides*

The best part of Canadian politics is that there is no mudslinging, because the ground is always frozen. They can only throw pristine, mud-free snow balls. Yes
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
28-05-2016, 09:01 PM
(28-05-2016 08:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:11 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Canada has politics? Laughat

*runs and hides*

The best part of Canadian politics is that there is no mudslinging, because the ground is always frozen. They can only throw pristine, mud-free snow balls. Yes

Wanted to post a reply. But I remembered where it was posted...Censored

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
28-05-2016, 09:06 PM
(28-05-2016 08:11 PM)Nurse Wrote:  

*runs and hides*

They do

[Image: Intro-Pinoy-Politicians-Canadian-Prime-Minister.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
28-05-2016, 10:07 PM
(28-05-2016 09:01 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The best part of Canadian politics is that there is no mudslinging, because the ground is always frozen. They can only throw pristine, mud-free snow balls. Yes

Wanted to post a reply. But I remembered where it was posted...Censored

Peace, bro. It was just my lame attempt at levity with our frozen neighbors. Now, where is that emoji of two peeps clinking their tankards together? Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
28-05-2016, 11:04 PM
I also feel insecure and like I'm an idiot and what I write will be corrected but it's not possible to know everything or to be understood all the time, no one will mind and if anything you'll learn more. I also edit and delete my posts and sometimes end up not posting at all because I hate what I wrote, I also tend to write too much and can't edit but so far no one has said anything and if they did I'd just write less.

Just be yourself and if you feel like you don't know a subject well just say "I could know more about this but this is what I think..." We're all learning here and I'd love to learn from you, your point of view is unique and please don't be shy to share it. I've found many smart people are afraid to speak up while fools talk all the time, we drown in their noise, we need more thoughtful intelligent voices like yours to listen to. Hug

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
29-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Debna, I hope that this has erased any lingering concerns you might have had about living up to the content around here. Sorry your thread got hijacked by jokes about Canadian politics. Facepalm

Nurse, just because we aren't threatening to give launch codes to the bastard child of Joe McCarthy and an Oompa-Loompa doesn't mean we don't have politics.

Fireball, you've overlooked the fact that we don't need mud in our snowballs seeing as we weaponized the snow itself millenia ago. We have 1236 different words for "mixed precipitation" and counting, all of which are lethal when weilded properly. As a point of etiquette, it is considered bad form to make snowballs out of "ballistic snow" (aka Canadian concrete) on account of the high mortality rate.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2016, 07:49 AM
(29-05-2016 12:50 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Debna, I hope that this has erased any lingering concerns you might have had about living up to the content around here. Sorry your thread got hijacked by jokes about Canadian politics. Facepalm

Nurse, just because we aren't threatening to give launch codes to the bastard child of Joe McCarthy and an Oompa-Loompa doesn't mean we don't have politics.

Fireball, you've overlooked the fact that we don't need mud in our snowballs seeing as we weaponized the snow itself millenia ago. We have 1236 different words for "mixed precipitation" and counting, all of which are lethal when weilded properly. As a point of etiquette, it is considered bad form to make snowballs out of "ballistic snow" (aka Canadian concrete) on account of the high mortality rate.

See what I did there, Debna? Wrote something stupid I thought was funny, now it's there for eternity. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
29-05-2016, 08:01 AM
(28-05-2016 11:08 AM)debna27 Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 10:26 AM)unsapien Wrote:  First...Know that you have a kindred spirit here, and that I had a thread saved in draft for almost 3 weeks (not kidding) on how I felt this way too. I've deleted it now, but I've copied and pasted this last part of it:

I probably won't even post this when I'm done, if your reading this then I guess I did.

As a side note: You can see how long ago I joined TTA forums and you can see how many posts I've made. There are members that joined an hour ago that have posted more then me, but what you can't see is how many replies to postings or new threads that I've started in draft and then said "that sounded a lot smarter or funnier or profound or important in my head then it does now that I have written it down" ...and then I deleted them.

This is actually really encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it helps just to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Hopefully it'll help me feel less frustrated with myself in the future.

Just jump in. I've posted things I have apologized for the next day. We are all here to be educated and to share ideas, not much more than that.
[+] 3 users Like Born Again Pagan's post