Insecurity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 10:43 AM
RE: Insecurity
Thanks for all the support everybody. I'm feeling very encouraged by hearing all of this feedback. I certainly don't regret having started this thread (although I initially thought that I might). The rational part of me is getting stronger and more willing to post when I want to, and the emotional part is becoming less defined by fear of some undefined catastrophic result. I find myself yet again thankful that I am a part of this community, and now more willing to explore my position within it. That's a huge takeaway for me. You guys are the best Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
29-05-2016, 12:13 PM
(28-05-2016 08:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 07:38 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Witch to?

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=110776&d=1396960946]

@Debna, regarding insecurity...

How self-confident does one have to be to use an actual picture of themselves as their avatar?

Consider
Who ever said that's actually my picture? Tongue
Honestly though, it was less of a confidence thing and more of a lack-of-creativity thing. I have no idea what else I would use. I'm not a very interesting person sometimes.
29-05-2016, 01:11 PM
(27-05-2016 11:53 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I want to post more and join in conversations but I've been struggling with feeling like I'm going to be in the way or out of place or something. Basically, I just feel like I don't belong, but I really, really want to.

If it is any comfort, I've been very impressed with the support and compassion you've offered since you started.

(27-05-2016 11:53 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I can't really explain it, I'll try to respond to something but then get scared that I sound stupid and delete what I've typed before posting it. I know that if I want to be a part of everything here I have to be active and make myself a part of it.

I routinely type, delete, retype, close the window, re-open the window, retype... Sometimes I'm trying to find the right words, sometimes I know I'm irritated and shouldn't post it. (I can't count how many times I've deleted the words "rampaging fuckwit" from a post in the debating threads...)

(27-05-2016 11:53 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I suspect a lot of this is my depression trying to make me feel shitty, since from what I've seen, this community isn't one to belittle those who try to honestly engage and be a part of it.

Yes, I vote depression. Everything I've seen you post has been positive. I've seen warmth, compassion and empathy and none of the negative qualities you worry about.

(27-05-2016 11:53 PM)debna27 Wrote:  But if anybody has any resources that they think would be helpful, or can share any similar experiences, I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

As far as arguing with theists? I like to watch the debates on youtube. Reading (or audio books) is good too. You'll find that the arguments and responses are fairly consistent. It sounds complicated at first, but like anything else, the more you listen, the easier it gets to see things.

As far as the other things you worry about, that's the depression. Feel free to stop worrying about it! Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post