Insensitive remarks regarding a death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2013, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 07:17 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
RE: Insensitive remarks regarding a death
If I had a personal experience with someone close dying and someone made these kind of comments, I'm sure I'd be upset, because I find it annoying as it is. But I've not personally had to deal with more than some people telling me they'd pray for me or a loved one, if there was something the matter. That doesn't bother me so much. Just minimally annoying, but I try to take the positive out of it, that what they are actually saying is, "I care, and I am concerned, and will be thinking about you and want you to know that". I usually say that to them and tell them that's what I'm going to take out of what they said, minus the magic part, but remind them that they could just say that next time rather than say that they will pray. It would be more meaningful if they actually just said the words that they care and will be thinking about me or whomever it was for.

However, I do often hear people say insanely offensive things in the name of religion, that they clearly think is positive. For example, after the Sandy Hook shooting, a Christian friend of mine said, "I pray that Lord Jesus spill his blood all over those children's bodies and that school". I was like, what the fuck, there are a bunch of dead kids covered in their own blood and your talking about spilling blood all over those kid's bodies? That's insane!

Now, she thinks that's a good thing to say. That "washing" the dead children in Jesus's invisible, magic blood will "protect" them. But seriously, what the fuck does that even mean? They are already dead. Does "God" postmortem send "his" son to spill invisible, magic blood over them so their souls will be save? Because what other purpose would it be for if not their souls, considering they already died? So that would imply that "God" may have been "saving" some of the kids, prior to the shooting, but not others, because that's what praying for them would imply to make a difference, because at this point that's the only difference that could possibly be made. But then, this random girl, who does not know them at all, ask "God" to let at least some of the kids who died, that he wasn't originally going to take to heaven, and reconsider letting them in, for no reason of that own child, but because a woman, two thousand plus miles away, asked him too. So "he" just decided, "Okay, well I was not going to let little 6 year old Timmy, 5 year old Johnny, and 8 year old Jill go to heaven, but now some stranger asked, so I'll send my son to spill his invisible, magic blood over them and then I'll pick them up". ...And what? If no one did pray, "he'd" just say, "Oh well. I would have taken these kids to heaven if some on asked, but no one did, so I guess I'm not going to now, so Hell it is for them".

What the fuck? Seriously, it's insane once you actually think about what it actually is implying. Because if it's not that scenario that I just described, then you are just bringing up pouring blood over little dead children for no reason at all. I'd prefer you just not say horrible things like that.

But seriously, the imagery of pouring blood all over those poor dead children in so insane. Just say something, anything else, but not "please pour blood over dead children". It's just an insane thing to say, that would never be said outside of religion, except by a nut.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
27-10-2013, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 07:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-10-2013 03:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  When my sister died... people said some stuff like that.

My brother just dropped dead at the age of 47 from sudden cardiac arrest earlier this year. When I asked my Doc about a test he said "Sudden cardiac arrest means we got no clue what happened." Miss you BrotherMan.

[Image: bobandbill.jpg][Image: bill.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-10-2013, 08:01 PM
(27-10-2013 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 03:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  When my sister died... people said some stuff like that.

My brother just dropped dead at the age of 47 from sudden cardiac arrest earlier this year. When I asked my Doc about a test he said "Sudden cardiac arrest means we got no clue what happened." Miss you BrotherMan.

Oh, man...sorry to hear about your loss.

27-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Read the thread you linked to, and I cried. Sending you a big hug!
27-10-2013, 08:28 PM
(27-10-2013 08:13 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My brother just dropped dead at the age of 47 from sudden cardiac arrest earlier this year. When I asked my Doc about a test he said "Sudden cardiac arrest means we got no clue what happened." Miss you BrotherMan.

Read the thread you linked to, and I cried. Sending you a big hug!

Me too. Hugs are always good.

[Image: Bear_Hug_by_CommodoreElfman.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-10-2013, 08:31 PM
(27-10-2013 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Me too. Hugs are always good.

Why can I only see the naked sweaty carny inside that bear costume Shocking
ewww

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-10-2013, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 08:44 PM by Lienda Bella.)
"God needed another angel in heaven."

They're basically saying "God felt a need to kill so and so." I don't know whether to feel insulted at such admittance at God's creation, placement, and intervention skills.
[+] 2 users Like Lienda Bella's post
27-10-2013, 08:33 PM
(27-10-2013 08:31 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Me too. Hugs are always good.

Why can I only see the naked sweaty carny inside that bear costume Shocking
ewww

Hahaha and I immediately thought of pedo-bear, but that looks like a woman of age, so all good! Smile
27-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Sorry to hear that Girlyman. When I hear about anyone dying who is aright around my age (I'm 48), it fucking sends the shivers up my spine.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Smercurry44,
You are correct that the remarks were insensitive and out of line. You are also correct that this not the time to make statements; it's a time to express support for the family, or STFU.