Inside Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Inside Depression
Keep 'em coming. I've already learned quite a bit, which I will digest and select as appropriate for the situation. I'm always open to learn more, which I hope will lead to better understanding.

Here's a specific: She got a "dream" job after working in retail. The job itself is what she likes, but the people in the small office are a bunch of shitheads to her. She can go back to her boring retail job at anytime - they'd love to have her. In my mind, this would mean less crap to deal with and no baggage. (The dream job includes lots of after-hour meetings and extracurricular events, plus stress she takes home with her.) Do I encourage her to go back to retail or just leave it up to her? How do I handle that part? I think the dream job is possibly creating much of this depression - but that's just my amateur diagnosis.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I would encourage her to seek out a doctor. If her current meds aren't giving the results she needs, then it's time for a change. Most people with depression try a variety of the meds available because what works for one person may not be the right one for her. It is very, very common to try different ones and different dosages.

This is why I always recommend a psychiatrist because getting the brain chemistry just right is what works.

It's much like a diabetic or person with high blood pressure where you have to get that right combo of chemicals to feel good. Depression is a medical illness as much as a social illness. When people approach it as a clinical illness it helps to stop the stigma associated with mental illness.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-09-2014, 01:27 PM
(03-09-2014 07:54 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would encourage her to seek out a doctor. If her current meds aren't giving the results she needs, then it's time for a change. Most people with depression try a variety of the meds available because what works for one person may not be the right one for her. It is very, very common to try different ones and different dosages.

This is why I always recommend a psychiatrist because getting the brain chemistry just right is what works.

It's much like a diabetic or person with high blood pressure where you have to get that right combo of chemicals to feel good. Depression is a medical illness as much as a social illness. When people approach it as a clinical illness it helps to stop the stigma associated with mental illness.

Duly noted.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
03-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I think this says a lot

[Image: 54042a4802678.jpeg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-09-2014, 01:55 PM
(01-09-2014 11:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I have a friend who claims to be depressed.* Bad job, asshole family, health issues, etc. I keep her horse for her, and she is always saying how much she looooves this horse, he's her one and only, etc. She rarely comes to see him. As an elderly gent, he needs much more attention than he's getting - to the point I worry about his health.

Before I mouth off and say something I would regret, I'd like to hear from some who have battled depression. What helped you? What kind of words made it better or worse? Was there anything that could help? What did you wish people would stop doing to/for you? What's the last thing you wanted to hear (again)?

How did you want to be treated by your friends? How did they fail? How did they succeed?

* I think she's on anti-depressants, but only from her PHP, not a shrink. This may be a self-diagnosis.

Antidepressants helped me. So did spending time in nature and getting some pets. It can also be very helpful to talk with people who have had similar issues.