Insignificant Welcome

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Insignificant Welcome
Hello, I am TheInsignificantAtheist.

I was born of Catholic parents who had me attend a Catholic school from K5-8th Grade. My conversion process actually began as far back as 6th grade when we were studying the Greek gods and my teacher flatly stated that "obviously those gods are fake" and my first thought was "well how do we know for sure?".

I was at the height of my belief during high school, and for just about my entire childhood, my church thought I would become a priest someday because I was so helpful and involved in the church. At times I would question the intelligence of the adults I looked up to when they would tell me about being "mad at god" when they were young, because in my mind it was all so simple.

The beginning of what would become my full conversion came when I realized that the concept of hell didn't make sense to me if God was supposed to be so forgiving and loving. If I expressed this, people would ask "so you think Hitler deserves to be in heaven?" and I would say "I think God understands Hitler better than you or I do, and that he's in heaven and all that was bad about him is no longer with him".

From then on the number of things I believed in dropped one-by-one, but I didn't declare that the idea of a God was completely illogical until I stumbled upon Reddit (until then, I believed there had to be something unexplainable that held our world together, partially because I've been lucky my entire life and felt that my luck was illogical otherwise).

I'm engaged to my high school sweetheart, who was never brought up religious and doesn't lean one way or the other. My parents do not know, however my older brother does and leans towards atheism now. I'm in the middle of reading The God Delusion, and I love The Thinking Atheist podcasts. I love to write creative fiction and to blog.

I've not been involved on a proper forum in years, and I look forward to getting into it again. Thank you to whoever reads this whole thing.

TLDR; I'm an ex-catholic and engaged atheist who hasn't told his parents. Hello.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like TheInsignificantAtheist's post
26-10-2013, 12:26 PM
RE: Insignificant Welcome
Welcome to the pit!

If I remember correctly this forum slows to a crawl on weekends. We have a broad sense of humor that ranges from amazing (mine) to poor and childish (mostly everyone else). Hope you find a spot where you feel comfortable.

I was never a believer really. I took myself to various churches and religions only to find them unbelievable. But I came to this place to find solace in an uncomfortably religious time in my life. The need to converse with other nonbelievers was strong, and I found it here. I'm sure you will find something here that will help even just a little bit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
26-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Welcome...ex Catholic here too. I got the other end of Catholic school...public school from K5 through 5th then Catholic school from 6th grade through HS graduation. Never really bought into any of it...just followed along cause there wasn't much choice.

Glad to meet you.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Welcome, no one is Insignificant when it comes to fighting the cancer of Young earth creationists attacking any science that
conflicts with their "Facts" .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I like how you got the long version and the short version going on. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi iSig - good to have you here. You don't seem insignificant; you seem like a fairly significant piece of your own puzzle.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum ! I liked your story.
29-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the welcoming comments! (I've typically only got access to these forums on weekends, so I apologize for the delay)

My username is meant more to reflect my views on my place in the universe. I'm insignificant in the grand scheme of things, though I always strive to remain significant to those around me.
[+] 1 user Likes TheInsignificantAtheist's post