Insomnia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Insomnia
I should be sleeping. My mind is in overdrive. I blame my job mostly. Retail sucks. (I close one night then, the next day, I have the opening shift.) I always have stuff to do. I also blame my love of reading. My stories keep me in their world. I stare at the ceiling, my eyes wide open or they spring right back open when I try to force them to stay closed. I worry I'll be sleepy in the morning and then that gets me anxious even more.

I'm so tired. A "good" night is when I get to sleep before 3am. I have to be up at 7am to get my boy off to school.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 03:45 AM
RE: Insomnia
Don't feel alone. I couldn't get to sleep so I just made the coffee. Back in my drinkin days, I didn't have much problem sleeping because I'd always be inebriated enough that my brain would slow down but since then, it's a bitch. I have about one day a week that I simply cannot go to sleep or, like tonight, I go to bed, doze off for an hour or so and then wake the fuck up like I've slept for 8 hours and am refreshed.

I'll share a few things that have helped my to relax and, if you haven't tried them, maybe they'll help you. First is an herbal sleep aid called Calms Forté. Another is Alteril. Both of those help me, but they obviously don't solve the problem. Recently, I've started using Passiflora Incarnata (Passion Flower). It isn't claimed to be a sleep aid but it is used to treat anxiety, which is essentially the genesis of insomnia. The taste is absolutely horrendous but if you can manage it, I'll bet you find that your job doesn't seem so stressful and that will go a long way toward helping you sleep.

I'm curious, what experience did you have with sleeping as a child?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
22-02-2013, 03:59 AM
I'm curious, what experience did you have with sleeping as a child?
[/quote]

Well, my mother never knew what to do with us so she stuck us in front of a TV. I would stay up all night watching random stuff. ('Merica.) Saying that aloud makes me realize that didn't help to develop great sleep habits = )

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
22-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Well... that's not sleeping, that's staying up. I was wondering what happened once you did attempt to lay down and sleep.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 05:52 AM
My sleep has been great for years until recently. I think I am smoking too much weed. Tongue I can't seem to sleep well unless I've had a J.

[Image: opforum1.png]
22-02-2013, 09:28 AM
(22-02-2013 04:26 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Well... that's not sleeping, that's staying up. I was wondering what happened once you did attempt to lay down and sleep.
I think they go hand-in-hand... Confused I didn't sleep often or for an adequate amount of time.

(22-02-2013 05:52 AM)frankiej Wrote:  My sleep has been great for years until recently. I think I am smoking too much weed. Tongue I can't seem to sleep well unless I've had a J.
This mama can't do that anymore. Undecided

22-03-2013, 06:49 PM
I started Remeron (mirtazapine) recently. I started at 30mg and now I'm at 45mg. The sleep is amazing. The best I've had since I was a small child. I started taking it for depression, but I've also struggled with insomnia for a very long time.
22-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I struggled with insomnia for about 4 years up until about 3 months ago. I finally told my doctor (after trying DOZENS of OTC medication, herbal teas, hot baths, melatonin (sp?), etc. He gave me a trial packet of 3mg Lunesta. I loved it, went to fill the actual Rx and found out my insurance didn't cover it and it would be $156 a month. That was WITH the $50 coupon my doctor gave me. So I tried Ambien. 10mg. BEST SLEEP EVER. Didn't cause grogginess or anything. I take it at about 10 pm (it kicks in within 10 minutes for me) and I'm wide awake at 6 am. Most of the time I wake up before my alarm. No sleep walking, sleep eating, sleep driving, or any horror story of the sort. Just wonderful, awesome, blissful sleep Smile

I once was blind...but now, I see.
22-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I should mention this side effect: You will be absolutely gluttonous. I'm serious about this. I gained 15-20 lbs on this stuff. I've heard stories about people on remeron eating spoonfuls of sugar, but it wasn't quite that bad for me. I'm still hungrier than I would be without it, but I've learned to ignore it. I look better with the weight anyway.
(22-03-2013 06:49 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  I started Remeron (mirtazapine) recently. I started at 30mg and now I'm at 45mg. The sleep is amazing. The best I've had since I was a small child. I started taking it for depression, but I've also struggled with insomnia for a very long time.
22-03-2013, 08:55 PM
(22-03-2013 07:37 PM)milk_milk_lemonade Wrote:  So I tried Ambien. 10mg. BEST SLEEP EVER. Didn't cause grogginess or anything. I take it at about 10 pm (it kicks in within 10 minutes for me) and I'm wide awake at 6 am. Most of the time I wake up before my alarm. No sleep walking, sleep eating, sleep driving, or any horror story of the sort. Just wonderful, awesome, blissful sleep Smile
I sleepwalked while taking Ambien; I meant I would do stuff and look most alert, but when people who lived with me told me about it the next day, I had no memory of it. That freaks me out. I also would take it, and it wouldn't work for me. I'd lay there trying to fall asleep. It turns out, my friends enjoyed trying to talk to me when I was taking it because I'd say such crazy stuff Blink (What are friends for, huh?) Smile

(22-03-2013 08:05 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  I should mention this side effect: You will be absolutely gluttonous. I'm serious about this. I gained 15-20 lbs on this stuff. I've heard stories about people on remeron eating spoonfuls of sugar, but it wasn't quite that bad for me. I'm still hungrier than I would be without it, but I've learned to ignore it. I look better with the weight anyway.
If a medication has the potential to make me gain weight, I say NO. Excl (I'm aware that almost ANY medication can make someone gain weight, as everyone responds to foreign substances differently.)

If I gained 20 pounds... OMG. I don't even want to think of where it would go! Blink On my short frame, any weight gain has to find clever little spots to go. NOT cute Drinking Beverage