Insomnia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Insomnia
I have insomnia among other issues. It's been mostly under control for several years. On Monday I ran out of my medicine (the safe, effective, illegal kind). I am not likely to get more any time soon due to some reasons. Tuesday night was fine. Wednesday and last night I woke up many hours before I should have. Lack of sleep erodes my emotional and behavioral filters. If my old pattern reasserts itself I should be behaving erratically by the end of next week. Minor twinges of irritation turn into anger and raising my voice. Tiny perceived or imagined slights begin to look like deliberate mistreatment. My OCD gets bad enough that I struggle to bathe and dress, much less function at work.

I don't really want to speculate about what that might mean for me now. Before I was single and only occasionally employed. Now I am married, a parent, and have a Real Job™. I am worried I could lose all that if I (re)turn into a basket case.

That's it I guess. I don't really have a question, just some trouble I wanted to share. Maybe wish me some sweet dreams.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2016, 06:50 AM
RE: Insomnia
(20-05-2016 06:29 AM)I Am Wrote:  I have insomnia among other issues. It's been mostly under control for several years. On Monday I ran out of my medicine (the safe, effective, illegal kind). I am not likely to get more any time soon due to some reasons. Tuesday night was fine. Wednesday and last night I woke up many hours before I should have. Lack of sleep erodes my emotional and behavioral filters. If my old pattern reasserts itself I should be behaving erratically by the end of next week. Minor twinges of irritation turn into anger and raising my voice. Tiny perceived or imagined slights begin to look like deliberate mistreatment. My OCD gets bad enough that I struggle to bathe and dress, much less function at work.

I don't really want to speculate about what that might mean for me now. Before I was single and only occasionally employed. Now I am married, a parent, and have a Real Job™. I am worried I could lose all that if I (re)turn into a basket case.

That's it I guess. I don't really have a question, just some trouble I wanted to share. Maybe wish me some sweet dreams.

I do wish you sweet dreams. Have you tried Ambien yet? I highly recommend it (and it's legal!). It's also not very expensive.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
20-05-2016, 08:42 AM
(20-05-2016 06:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I do wish you sweet dreams. Have you tried Ambien yet? I highly recommend it (and it's legal!). It's also not very expensive.

Thank you. I will ask my doctor about it.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
20-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Ambien is the stuff.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
20-05-2016, 12:02 PM
(20-05-2016 06:29 AM)I Am Wrote:  [...]

I'd also recommend Ambien (or Zolpidem in Australia). I take 10mg around 30 minutes before lights out, and it usually guarantees me a minimum of 6 hours straight sleep.

You could also try Valerian Forte which is a non-prescription herbal drug that's been clinically proven to induce sleep in some people. The Mayo Clinic says:

Results from multiple studies indicate that valerian—a tall, flowering grassland plant—may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep and help you sleep better. Of the many valerian species, only the carefully processed roots of the Valeriana officinalis have been widely studied. Valerian seems to be most effective after you take it regularly for two or more weeks. Because dosages varied in studies involving valerian and some studies weren't rigorous, it's not clear what dose is most effective or for how long you should take a particular dose.

Oh, and sweet dreams too. Sleepy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
20-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks y'all. I mean it. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
27-05-2016, 01:45 AM
Not insomnia but it's 2:30 here and I woke up with a bad dream. I hate that. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
27-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Sounds really tough!

Do you get a good amount of exercise? Maybe yoga?
I don't want to sound preachy, because I don't get nearly as much exercise as I should myself, but I know it calms my brain right down and is very soothing when I do get myself in gear and do it. Endorphins and all that Smile
27-05-2016, 08:40 AM
(20-05-2016 08:59 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Ambien is the stuff.

Yeah, if you don't mind sleepwalking.

I had to learn the hard way not to mess with a sleepwalker. Facepalm

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
27-05-2016, 10:12 AM
(20-05-2016 06:29 AM)I Am Wrote:  I have insomnia among other issues. It's been mostly under control for several years. On Monday I ran out of my medicine (the safe, effective, illegal kind). I am not likely to get more any time soon due to some reasons. Tuesday night was fine. Wednesday and last night I woke up many hours before I should have. Lack of sleep erodes my emotional and behavioral filters. If my old pattern reasserts itself I should be behaving erratically by the end of next week. Minor twinges of irritation turn into anger and raising my voice. Tiny perceived or imagined slights begin to look like deliberate mistreatment. My OCD gets bad enough that I struggle to bathe and dress, much less function at work.

Have you considered getting treatment for the OCD and anxiety- which will help with insomnia and also the other things that you mentioned? Luvox is very effective for many people. Treatment for OCD and anxiety may treat the core problem.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel