Insomnia anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Insomnia anyone?
Does anyone struggle with insomnia?

Tips? Tricks? Sadly, I can't drug myself into oblivion as I have littles and don't want to be totally out of it.

My friends are all into (and recommending) essential oils...I am not 100% sold though.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2017, 09:51 AM
RE: Insomnia anyone?
Yup. The last good sleep I had was before I had children and that was over twenty years ago. After that my sleep has never been the same. I have Parent Nonsleep Syndrome. That's not a medical term it's just something I came up with. I think my brain just got used to not sleeping straight through the night and never returned it's pre parent brain.

I do have success with Yoga Nidra recordings. It's something you listen to while in a prone position and you relax your brain along with each muscle of the body. I also have success with an plant called Passion Flower. It's been clinically studied and seems to be similar to xanax in some of it's properties. I get the liquid drops. That stuff will knock me out.

My mother was not much of a sleeper. She decided to accept it. She figured she'd be dead for a long, long time and she was gonna make up for it by staying awake and doing the stuff she couldn't do when she was dead..... like read a lot of interesting books and doing her oil paintings. Three in the morning I'd get up to go to the bathroom and she'd be in the kitchen painting a still life. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-02-2017, 09:59 AM
I go through bouts of it from time to time. I tried meds once but they left me groggy and stupid.

At one time my doc suggested that if I don't fall asleep in 15 minutes, then get up and read a book or something (though he was specific in mentioning to stay away from screens - no TV, computer or phone).

I was up for over three days.

It's my normal to lie awake for minimum one hour after I go to bed; common to lie there for two hours, sometimes three or more.

People generally need less and less sleep as they get older. That's just a normal, natural occurrence.

Essential oils are a crock and can be dangerous. Sources:
There's no "magic bullet" when it comes to falling, and staying, asleep. Sometimes it's best to just accept the fact that your body is changing and cease worrying about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
18-02-2017, 10:21 AM
I love the oil painting at 3am story. That is awesome. lol

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I would accept that I need less sleep as I get older, but it's actually interfering with my day to day functioning. I am perpetually tired and feel so much better when I have had a solid 8 hours (rare!) lol

And it's hard to believe the truth behind oils when you find out the person you are speaking to gets some kind of financial gain from it. Call me a skeptic!

18-02-2017, 10:28 AM
(18-02-2017 09:51 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yup. The last good sleep I had was before I had children and that was over twenty years ago. After that my sleep has never been the same. I have Parent Nonsleep Syndrome. That's not a medical term it's just something I came up with. I think my brain just got used to not sleeping straight through the night and never returned it's pre parent brain.

I do have success with Yoga Nidra recordings. It's something you listen to while in a prone position and you relax your brain along with each muscle of the body. I also have success with an plant called Passion Flower. It's been clinically studied and seems to be similar to xanax in some of it's properties. I get the liquid drops. That stuff will knock me out.

My mother was not much of a sleeper. She decided to accept it. She figured she'd be dead for a long, long time and she was gonna make up for it by staying awake and doing the stuff she couldn't do when she was dead..... like read a lot of interesting books and doing her oil paintings. Three in the morning I'd get up to go to the bathroom and she'd be in the kitchen painting a still life. Tongue

I also like Yoga Nidra, meditation, gentle stretches, a hot bath and a glass of wine, or drinking hot tea--calming ones like chamomile before bed.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I've had insomnia for about 40 years, it totally sucks I'm lucky in that I get quetiapine which helps a lot but if I run out another trick is to listen to old TTA podcasts on really low volume.
It needs to be episodes I've already listened to otherwise I'm listening too hard. Just having a voice in the background stops my mind racing. It needs to be spoken word podcasts Imo music for me doesn't work and make's me more wakeful.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
18-02-2017, 10:42 AM
I had forgotten about this, perhaps it might help:

I downloaded an app to my phone that generates nature sounds: rain, a beach, a forest, etc etc.

While I don't use them for sleeping (I just use them occasionally for white noise), they might be worth a try. And they're free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...turesounds
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...leepsounds
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...relaxnight
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
18-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Thanks! I am sorry other people are experiencing this - and for so many years, too Sad

So I have tried the wine trick - but then I have to get up to pee, so it defeats the purpose. LOL

[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
18-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Focusing on your breathing can also help. When I can't sleep, I breathe in to a count of 4, then out to a count of 6. It helps relax you, which can help you get to sleep--it also gives you something to focus on as opposed to any thoughts that may be bothering you and causing insomnia.

I also like the Honest Guys meditations on youtube. They have meditations specifically for sleep as well. I usually play those and I fall asleep rather quickly.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Do you have time during the day to take a nap? I set a timer on the phone, zonk out for 20-25 minutes, and I'm ready to go.
I use relaxation techniques and sometimes Benadryl to get to sleep. This doesn't drug into oblivion but it does make me very sleepy. I never sleep the whole night through, but when I wake up and can't get back to sleep I often review material I'm trying to memorize or make lists (notebook by my bedside). If my mind just won't quit I get up and write.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post