Insomnia anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 11:29 AM
RE: Insomnia anyone?
http://everydayroots.com/sleep-aid-drinks

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-02-2017, 11:57 AM
(18-02-2017 10:42 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I had forgotten about this, perhaps it might help:

I downloaded an app to my phone that generates nature sounds: rain, a beach, a forest, etc etc.

While I don't use them for sleeping (I just use them occasionally for white noise), they might be worth a try. And they're free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...turesounds
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...leepsounds
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...relaxnight

Nice links Heath but only for android?? Some of us hate iPhones / android. Got anything for windows phones ??
18-02-2017, 12:02 PM
My husband is really into yoga and breathing, and he's always telling me to do more of it. I do enjoy it!

I can't really nap during the day. I work from home, and typically work under deadline, so I don't think I could relax enough to nap.
I freaking love naps though.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
18-02-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't suffer from what you'd generally identify as insomnia. I've also got a little of the parent nosleep syndrome going on though.

I fall asleep easy, and damn near anywhere, but I'm an extremely light steeper. When my kids were in the crying infant stage, I'd usually hear and intercept them with a bottle before they really started crying, which would often result in my girlfriend mistakenly believing that they slept through the night more often than they really did. My now 5 year old can't put his foot on the floor without waking me up.

That said, both kids generally sleep through the night. Nonetheless, they're up at 6:30 like clockwork. As a general rule that would be about perfect. The long term result, however, is that it's literally been 5 years since the last time I just slept until I felt like getting up. The is no such thing as sleeping in in my post children world. Not once per week, not once per year.

I work a lot of long night shifts, too. Not a problem during the week, but if I have to sleep during the day on a weekend when the kids are home from daycare, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be a barely functioning zombie by Monday.

The best sleep I get is during my weekend warrior drills, whether on a cot in the armoury locker room or in a snow shelter up at the mountain warfare training site.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Try chammomile tea. It has such a nice and smooth flavor and is supposed to help you relax.

Melatonin has also been a huge help for me on my sleepless nights. I like it because I don't feel drugged up.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
18-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I do something like counting sheep. If I wake up in the night I imagine going for a ride on my motorcycle or maybe cleaning my guns. Every detail has to be included, so its quite long and then I'm gone. The more boring detail the better.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
18-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Insomnia is some awful stuff. Sorry you're going through that.

If you are having trouble falling sleep, you could try a product with valerian in it, like Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime Extra tea. Brewing straight valerian root works too, but it stinks like a load of sweaty gym clothes. Commercial products tend to hide the odor some. Valerian causes a short period of woozy-groggy feeling when it's easier to fall asleep. Duration of the effect is about 15-30 minutes in my experience, and fades quickly after that. It won't keep you zonked like OTC pills.

My trouble is staying alseep. If you are the same, the best medicine I ever found is pot. Two hits from a water pipe and I can fall asleep and stay that way a normal amount of time, and also wake up and function if I need to. I am not a lifestyle stoner, and I don't often use drugs socially, but marijuana is an amazing medicine for sleep.

If smoke is not an option, one prescription I have found to work okay is Mirtazapine. This medicine let me sleep 8 hours nightly, but had side effects for me. I had headaches in the morning, and the longer I was on the pills the longer and worse the headaches got. Also, if I had to wake up before 8 hours, I was so so groggy for a while after waking. Driving on the morning commute was very risky in that condition. I *had* to allow 8 hours for sleep to be safe.

That's the best I've learned so far. I've tried lots and lots of home remedies, OTC meds, abstaining from caffeine, timed exercise, etc., with only occasional or mixed improvement. Of course, YMMV.

Hope you feel better soon. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
18-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Hmmmm...pot is legal here now... Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
20-02-2017, 09:05 AM
I've struggled with it since childhood. For me, there are two things that make a noticeable difference... NO caffeine after noon and keep to a strict bedtime routine. If I keep to a regular bedtime/wake time along with following my night time ritual that begins about one hour before bedtime, then I am much more likely to fall asleep naturally without pharmaceutical intervention.

Also, I find that I feel better during the day and sleep better the next night if I wake up naturally instead of with the alarm clock. Sometimes, depending on when I fell asleep, this may mean waking up earlier than I need to and possibly only getting 6 - 7 hours of sleep instead of the 8+ that I try to shoot for. My sleep cycles tend to be 3-3.5 hours long. Most of the time, however, I am so exhausted that I do not wake up naturally at the end of my sleep cycle and have to rely on the alarm clock.

It takes at least a week, if not longer, of following the routine before my insomnia starts to wane. Once I am on the bandwagon, missing a day or two of the routine here or there doesn't mess me up. But, missing it for more than a few days in a row pretty much requires a reset.

If all else fails, I have a prescription for Ambien. It is the lowest dose available and I break it into thirds. Also, instead of swallowing it whole, I usually chew it. This seems to help me get to sleep quickly without any noticeable grogginess in the morning.

If you are interested in the details of my routine...
1. My ritual begins when I put on my pajamas and pick out my clothes for the next day.
2. Then I go downstairs and load the dishwasher and put away a few things in the kitchen or living room. That gives me a sense of having addressed some of the mess so I don't worry about it.
3. As I finish up, I turn off all electronics and overhead lighting, keeping only minimal lamplight, and turn the thermostat down to about 68.
4. I brew myself a cup of chamomile or valerian tea and take it to the couch, cover up with a soft afghan blanket and read (actual book, no electronics) for about 30 minutes while sipping my tea.
5. After that, I put my book away, fold my afghan over the couch, and head up to the bedroom turning off the lamps as I go.
6. I turn on both my overhead fan and the box fan that blows over the foot of my bed. I absolutely cannot sleep without the sound of a box fan.
7. I brush my teeth, put in some eye drops, fill a cup with water to put on the nightstand, make sure my electronics are on the charger, set my alarm and finally climb under the covers. If the covers aren't straight, I will have to straighten them first as I can't sleep in a disheveled bed.
8. At this point, the only light on is my bedside lamp. This is the point where I always struggle. So, I have developed a bit of a mental trick. I don't turn the lamp off right away if I don't feel like sleep is imminent, which I usually will if I have kept my routine for several days. But if not, then I will lay there with the lamp on and basically give my mind permission to wander and chew on any lingering issues or ideas that have been bouncing around in my head. I keep a notepad and pencil on the nightstand to write down anything that I am worried I might forget to do. I may lay there with the lamp on for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. But, I do not look at the clock (it stays covered both to prevent me from looking at it and also to block the light) as that will only make me stress about how long it is taking me to go to sleep. I just lay there, basically not pressuring myself to go to sleep until I feel myself relaxing and heading for sleep. The downside is I will occasionally fall asleep with the lamp on and the light will wake me up when phase through the light sleep stage of my sleep cycle. But, turning off the light immediately puts too much pressure on me to fall asleep and usually results in me tossing and turning and worrying about how long it is taking me to go to sleep.

I know, it's weird and complicated. But I'll be damned if it doesn't do the trick!

Good luck and I hope you get your Zzzz's! Sleepy

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
20-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Great post TB, I never drink coffee after twelve noon but tea I cannot do without, ironically tea can have higher levels of caffeine than coffee but I find it comforting to have a cup before bed, and don't sleep well without it.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post