Insomnia - need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Insomnia - need help
Good evening (at least here where I am)

So as I start typing this post it is almost midnight.
Usually I would go have a shower now, then go to bed, watch one or two things on YouTube with my hubby, and then pass out.

But not lately.

As long as I get up at 7:30am and get my sleep ritual (see above), I will be able to fall asleep next to my husband.

Before I met him, I had insomnia to a degree that, when I needed to go somewhere in the morning, I had to take sleeping pills to be able to fall asleep at all. Back then, my insomnia was caused by my mental problems so my doctor gave me those. But as I met him, all my symptoms started to die down for the most part.
So I have had this sleep ritual for the past... I would say approaching 7 years now. It works like a charm, I need no meds for sleeping problems anymore.
But I am unable to fall asleep when either the husband or the ritual is missing.
Instead, I will be wide awake. My brain will keep doing it's thing and all I can do is wait until my eyes burn and my body says "fuck you!" and I just go and pass out.

So currently my mr has a job that is irregular so whenever he gets his call to come to work, he will of course agree to go to work. The problem is that it always has him go to bed very early (like 8pm) and get up very early (3am, 4am).
So in those cases, I cannot go to bed with him and just have him and the ritual a bit earlier. It would be 4 hours too early, that just doesn't work.

Well he has been working for a few days again and I am exhausted like every time he works this job. I go to bed at like 2am because my body signals me that pass out time has come. But the second I lay down, I am completely awake and ready for a fucking marathon. I cannot fall asleep for another 30-60 minutes but then have to get up at 7:30am because work. And because I have a very light sleep and wake up from EVERYthing, I wake up at least twice but usually more times every night.
So at this point I am completely exhausted, I need more sleep, but I have no idea how to fall asleep.
I wish I could have those sleeping pills but I would guess they are prescription and I also forgot the name. But they always worked great... They were specifically prescribed to depressed people and did absolute wonders on me. I always slept like a baby... So in absence of those and my ritual, I need help and ideas.

cheers
The exhausted Leela

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2016, 05:22 PM
RE: Insomnia - need help
Melatonin.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-08-2016, 06:00 PM
(18-08-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Melatonin.

^ This

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-08-2016, 06:13 PM
(18-08-2016 06:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-08-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Melatonin.

^ This

Yep

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-08-2016, 06:14 PM
It's 1 am....
Can't do more than read about melatonin right now.
Also, I'd have to go to a doctor to get the levels tested > doctors and tests cost money > I haven't got any > My health insurance literally covers nothing

18-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Melatonin is over the counter in the US...no doctor needed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-08-2016, 06:18 PM
(18-08-2016 06:14 PM)Leela Wrote:  It's 1 am....
Can't do more than read about melatonin right now.
Also, I'd have to go to a doctor to get the levels tested > doctors and tests cost money > I haven't got any > My health insurance literally covers nothing

Melatonin is OTC in the US and is cheap as fuck. Like $5 cheap for a year's supply. .... Wait. Do you live in the US? If not disregard.

#sigh
18-08-2016, 06:22 PM
not in the US but i can check a pharmacy tomorrow and ask

EDIT: gonna try to pass out now. wish me luck

18-08-2016, 06:28 PM
What was the white painter dude's name with the afro? Bob something? Better than benadryl...

But yeh, melatonin is really helpful.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
18-08-2016, 06:36 PM
(18-08-2016 06:28 PM)Nurse Wrote:  What was the white painter dude's name with the afro? Bob something? Better than benadryl...

But yeh, melatonin is really helpful.

Yeah, if I really really really need to sleep, Benadryl. But I only take it for a runny nose or that occasional insomnia. It really kicks my ass, in 25 mg form. Sleepy If it ain't sleep time, it soon will be, anyway, guaranteed.

BoT- Leela, what is your exercise routine? Getting regular exercise the same time every day will help, as well.