Insomnia - need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2016, 06:35 PM
RE: Insomnia - need help
(19-08-2016 06:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 04:55 PM)Loom Wrote:  Melatonin is wonderful. My doctor prescribed me atarax as a sleep aid...made me feel weird.

Melatonin on the other hand is something your body already uses, a lil extra works like a champ.

Get some 3-5mg chewable tablets and take em 30 minutes before bed. A cup of chamomile tea might help too.

I too suffer from some mental issues, namely anxiety, and melatonin has worked wonders for my insomnia.

Best wishes Hug

I don't suffer from mental issues or anxiety. I suffer from thinking too much........right before I go to bed. Or sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up and start thinking. Most of the time I'm not thinking about important things or stuff that bothers me, I'm thinking of creative stuff, or just plain stuff.

*now lets see......if I planted the rosemary bush in front of the marijuana bush it won't be see from the street.........I wonder why my one toenail grows faster than the others......I've gotta find some better shoes for my Tango lessons.....let's see....hummm....if I painted the laundry room with the same creamy yellow as the front room I wonder how that'd look...... yes, that might work....wonder what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.....I'm so happy with my new bicycle....I need a basket for it though.......cat, what are you doing?.....get off my pillow you're purring too loud and there's not room for you and my head on the pillow at the same time.......... go away.....go sleep down by my feet......silly cat.....you're so cute though......*

And I go on and on and on. Grrrr. STOP MY BRAIN! PLEASE STOP THINKING!

OK, there is training for teaching yourself how to shut those thoughts off. Better than drugs. Just try and find a place local that can help you out. I actually took a class at work years ago that helped me with this. My mind churns all the time. I've invented stuff in my sleep. No patents, though, management always seems to take the stuffin' out of the idea and then publish it later when no one is looking. Dodgy We actually had what are called "designated authors" when someone published a paper on new research. But I know what I did.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2016, 06:47 PM
(19-08-2016 06:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 06:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't suffer from mental issues or anxiety. I suffer from thinking too much........right before I go to bed. Or sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up and start thinking. Most of the time I'm not thinking about important things or stuff that bothers me, I'm thinking of creative stuff, or just plain stuff.

*now lets see......if I planted the rosemary bush in front of the marijuana bush it won't be see from the street.........I wonder why my one toenail grows faster than the others......I've gotta find some better shoes for my Tango lessons.....let's see....hummm....if I painted the laundry room with the same creamy yellow as the front room I wonder how that'd look...... yes, that might work....wonder what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.....I'm so happy with my new bicycle....I need a basket for it though.......cat, what are you doing?.....get off my pillow you're purring too loud and there's not room for you and my head on the pillow at the same time.......... go away.....go sleep down by my feet......silly cat.....you're so cute though......*

And I go on and on and on. Grrrr. STOP MY BRAIN! PLEASE STOP THINKING!

OK, there is training for teaching yourself how to shut those thoughts off. Better than drugs. Just try and find a place local that can help you out. I actually took a class at work years ago that helped me with this. My mind churns all the time. I've invented stuff in my sleep. No patents, though, management always seems to take the stuffin' out of the idea and then publish it later when no one is looking. Dodgy We actually had what are called "designated authors" when someone published a paper on new research. But I know what I did.

Is there a name for this "training"? I've tried melatonin and it does nothing and i don't want to take drugs to just cover up the problem. I can spend a couple of hours thinking in the middle of the night.

It started a few years ago when I was going through a very stressful period of time and I'd wake up in the middle of the night worrying about my problems but now that the problems are gone I'm stuck with a marathon of meaningless thoughts. I'm going crazy with this.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Leela,
You have to find what works for you the best.

Benedryl is awful for me. It will knock me out but then I wake up pretty close to every hour and basically feel like crap. Antihistamines tend to have that effect on me but I think it's because I have low blood pressure...anything that jacks it up makes me feel bad. I take them only when my sinuses are completely screwed up.

Melatonin works quickly and doesn't cause me to wake up groggy. It just works better with my body.

You may have to try a couple things till you find what works.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Tuinal. Now that shit did the trick for me.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-08-2016, 07:53 PM
(19-08-2016 06:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 06:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, there is training for teaching yourself how to shut those thoughts off. Better than drugs. Just try and find a place local that can help you out. I actually took a class at work years ago that helped me with this. My mind churns all the time. I've invented stuff in my sleep. No patents, though, management always seems to take the stuffin' out of the idea and then publish it later when no one is looking. Dodgy We actually had what are called "designated authors" when someone published a paper on new research. But I know what I did.

Is there a name for this "training"? I've tried melatonin and it does nothing and i don't want to take drugs to just cover up the problem. I can spend a couple of hours thinking in the middle of the night.

It started a few years ago when I was going through a very stressful period of time and I'd wake up in the middle of the night worrying about my problems but now that the problems are gone I'm stuck with a marathon of meaningless thoughts. I'm going crazy with this.

Do you do yoga? I think that the training there may be of some help to you. There was a lot of ground covered in that class, and I don't want to derail this thread with it. It had elements of yoga in it, as well as some relaxation techniques. It didn't have a name, it was just a class offered at work. It helped, but I wasn't cured of those late night terrors about things that I forgot to do that day at work. That has diminished, now that I'm retired, but not gone. Sad I am getting better, though. It helps me when I realize that there are now three people doing what I used to do. Laugh out load They each get $75k+ a year to do what I would have done for $125k a year, before I threw in the towel. Tongue
19-08-2016, 08:53 PM
(19-08-2016 07:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 06:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Is there a name for this "training"? I've tried melatonin and it does nothing and i don't want to take drugs to just cover up the problem. I can spend a couple of hours thinking in the middle of the night.

Do you do yoga? I think that the training there may be of some help to you. There was a lot of ground covered in that class, and I don't want to derail this thread with it. It had elements of yoga in it, as well as some relaxation techniques. It didn't have a name, it was just a class offered at work. It helped, but I wasn't cured of those late night terrors about things that I forgot to do that day at work. That has diminished, now that I'm retired, but not gone. Sad I am getting better, though. It helps me when I realize that there are now three people doing what I used to do. Laugh out load They each get $75k+ a year to do what I would have done for $125k a year, before I threw in the towel. Tongue

I used to do Yoga Nidra before bed when I was at the height of my stress and it did help. It's a quieting of the mind type of meditation. I should probably start that up again. The other thing I need to do is..... GET OFF THE GODDAMN LAPTOP! I'm checking messages before bed not just on this forum but from other stuff I do and it's stimulating some part of my brain that keeps me from sleeping. I need to get back to just reading before bed or doing crossword puzzles.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-08-2016, 02:54 AM
(18-08-2016 05:20 PM)Leela Wrote:  Good evening (at least here where I am)

So as I start typing this post it is almost midnight.
Usually I would go have a shower now, then go to bed, watch one or two things on YouTube with my hubby, and then pass out.

But not lately. [...]

Unfortunately I'm guessing you've disrupted your natural circadian rhythm. Shifting your bed time (sleep onset time) radically and/or your awakening time can often cause this. A repetitious four-hour variation could be responsible over a relatively short period of time—maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

I have a chronic sleep disorder called Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder which has proved to be clinically untreatable. In order to initiate sleep onset, I take Zolpidem (Ambien in the US) every night—or day LOL. The Zolpidem also vastly improves my sleep maintenance.

My N-24 started out as delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) a result of varying shift work; starting one week at 0630 and the next week at 1500.

I tried melatonin several years ago, and it had no effect whatsoever. You need to make sure you get the prescription dosage rather than relying on the so-called melatonin tablets at health food stores, or OTC, which only mimic the real drug.

(I also suffer from depression and anxiety, which are controlled with medication.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
20-08-2016, 09:02 AM
(19-08-2016 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 07:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Do you do yoga? I think that the training there may be of some help to you. There was a lot of ground covered in that class, and I don't want to derail this thread with it. It had elements of yoga in it, as well as some relaxation techniques. It didn't have a name, it was just a class offered at work. It helped, but I wasn't cured of those late night terrors about things that I forgot to do that day at work. That has diminished, now that I'm retired, but not gone. Sad I am getting better, though. It helps me when I realize that there are now three people doing what I used to do. Laugh out load They each get $75k+ a year to do what I would have done for $125k a year, before I threw in the towel. Tongue

I used to do Yoga Nidra before bed when I was at the height of my stress and it did help. It's a quieting of the mind type of meditation. I should probably start that up again. The other thing I need to do is..... GET OFF THE GODDAMN LAPTOP! I'm checking messages before bed not just on this forum but from other stuff I do and it's stimulating some part of my brain that keeps me from sleeping. I need to get back to just reading before bed or doing crossword puzzles.

Oh- HO! Blue light, bright light. You can get software that gradually reduces the blue light and brightness on your screen (which keeps you more awake).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...-well.html
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
20-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the tips everybody and sorry for not writing back sooner.
Last night I pretty much passed out super early because finally my mr didn't have to work today and we could have our bed time ritual. We will get a longer usb cord for my phone and try that I just watch some stuff on the phone before sleeping when he has to work to see if that works.

I am a bit cautious with melatonin to be honest because I am afraid it will have a negative effect on my natural melatonin production.

SYZ thanks for the links. Very interesting read! Didn't know about that at all. Probably my circadian rythm got fucked. Less because of work but more likely because of my having be depressed for the majority of my life. I only got that and the other mental stuff under control about 4 or so years ago. And since then I have felt the need to catch up on life so tend to stay up late because at this point my brain just isn't getting tired as the weight of the depression is mostly gone. Might be that.

(sometimes I remember how fucked up my brain actually is. It is pretty frightning to know that I am a ticking time bomb.)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
20-08-2016, 04:25 PM
(20-08-2016 04:10 PM)Leela Wrote:  I am a bit cautious with melatonin to be honest because I am afraid it will have a negative effect on my natural melatonin production.

I only take melatonin when I need it. For a time after my surgeries is was nightly. Now it's very rarely that I need it but I am glad to have it around when I do.

My husband works goofy hours so my sleep is often disrupted...eventually it catches up to me by either passing out super early then waking super early or not being able to go to sleep at all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat